THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Long Awaited MWB Sprinter Build

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    Seitz are a bit expensive.
    I have them in my van, worth every penny
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, ursus

Today I have been mostly making solar panel mounting brackets.
    Question - panels are 1.2 by 1 metre and designed to go on a house roof. Is 4 brackets per panel enough (2 a side) or should i go for 3 a side?

Pic....

If it were me,2 at either side and one at the top,one at the bottom.

Actually now i've looked at the brackets again i'm rethinking the whole mounting idea - dont really want to be drilling that many holes in my roof... Anyway, more of that later.

On afternoons this week so not a great deal done, but I have cut through the ply bulkhead to the cab for my step through, I thought about a hole big enough to walk through but decided against it. I can step through onto the passenger seat which will be more than good enough for the times I may have to use it, and certainly better than not having one.

So after cutting out hole, battened rest of bulkhead and insulated it with celotex, just needs cladding now when I do the rest of it. Also fixed the roof battens in place to take more cladding. Hopefully will get onto actually doing some actual cladding at the weekend.

And now the pics....

The following users think this post is groovy: crazytim, Ecobob, essexcamper, junkmayle, kiwikid, NomadicRT, patchypete, Surfbum, ursus

Thought about a roof rack and attach panel to that

The panel Could hide the roof hatch
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis

Very good. Similar to what Ive been doing to my LDV.

Keep at it.

Frame.
    Poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another.

The cheap reverse light switch from euro fucked up yesterday - was never right anyway as the mounting lug was in a different position which meant the cable was up against the gearbox. Thought fuck it, theres a Merc place near us i'll try them for a price. Pleasantly suprised - cheaper then Euro! At the same time I also got some dash blanks and a gearshift gaiter as the old one was split and tatty. Universal one on ebay 20 for just the vinyl/leatherette, genuine one complete with plastic surround was less!

Place is Northside Mercedes, Stallingborough (01469) 576740 - they are also at Hull, well worth a ring and very helpful (no I don't work there!) Part numbers in case anyone is searching for these in future:

MA901 689 3139 Switch blank Black 40p
    MA901 689 3039 Switch blank Grey 40p
    MA000 268 4197 Gear shift boot 19.10
    MA001 545 3309 Reversing switch 9.75

All fitted this morning, tidied cab up a treat. Anyway, onto the build. On afternoons again so a short day, got the floor cut from sections of wombled 18mm ply (I can nearly get in the garage now!). Stuck pre cut celotex down with expanding foam, screwed ply to battens - job done. (Well nearly, theres a couple of bits at the front edge to sort but there's a cupboard going there anyway so you wont see them)

Obligatory pictures....

The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, essexcamper, kiwikid, patchypete, ursus

It`s looking warmer in there already
    What you thinking of re mounting the Solar then? roof rack style,bonding them on or something else?

Ive been reading that sikaflex is supposed to be good enough but im of an age where i just dont trust it if its not bolted or welded. Im thinking of a length of angle with panels screwed to it, mounted through the roof with a set screw front and rear. That way ive only got 4 holes instead of 12 and i can also sikaflex it to the roof. It would probably be enough but id be happier with the bolts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: crazytim, essexcamper, ursus

Started the day with all good intentions, but by the time we had been food shopping and bought some wood and the cladding for the walls it was dinner time so half a day wasted, and i'm at work tomorrow.....

Anyway, finished off the front half of the floor save one piece near the doorway which I have left as I am not sure yet how much of the door I am going to block off, and will make the floor match when I decide.

Usual story, last couple of bits of the wombled ply, battens sikaflexed and screwed to the floor, celotex, expanding foam, foam all over my hands, much swearing, wipe hands on van building fleece (saved for this job as its now covered in silicone, sikaflex, expanding foam and sawdust!), screw floor down, drink tea.

Started on bed frame. Wanted a full size fixed double as we both have back problems. The inner end of the bed will have a removable back which will allow it to become a settee during the day to satisfy the DVLA. Copied the basic design from the wooden bed we have at home, side rails are 2x1's screwed and sikaflexed to van sides, two pieces running across make the frame. 1x1 fastened inside the sides are for the slats to sit on. Supports down to floor added in various places where you cant see them and also in the middle. Bed is currently wider than it will actually be, it was just easier to build this way in terms of attaching the rails straight to the van walls. Eventually the right hand edge will be turned into a cupboard leaving a 4'6" wide double next to it. Under the bed there is a useful amount of storage area including an area for the spare wheel, supports placed under bed frame are spaced to fit old plastic crates that I already have for more storage. Rear door threshold tidied up with pallet wood, couple of other bits tidied. Before anyone says, I left boxing the wheelarches in until the bed was fitted so that I could get it to the height I wanted. These will have a frame built, be lagged and boxed with ply. Light eventually stopped play....

For those not yet sick of pictures, here's some more....

The following users think this post is groovy: crazytim, essexcamper, kiwikid, NomadicRT, patchypete, ursus, wurzel

Gotta say im loving this thread. Excellent job
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69

Turning On
    Nice job so far mate.Are the bed slats a bit too far apart? Foam may sink into gaps too much??

Slats arent fixed, they were just laid on so i could pile everything back in there for the night. Using a full size double matress and not foam.

Turning On
    Oh,ok.Can you get a full size matress width ways then?

Turning On
    Re the solar panels..Ive got 2 x 100w panels on the roof,using 2 aly angle brackets each side of each panel,stuck down wirh fix all and one self drilling screw to each bracket.Had no probs with leaks or movement,even in hot climates.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic View Post
    Can you get a full size matress width ways then?
    Bed is going lengthways. Across would have saved me a foot and a bit but the inconvenience of climbing over someone and a dog to get out of bed outweighed the foot gained...

Transcending
    fuck me !! you gotta a dog going in there aswell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!... ..... geeeze...
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete

He doesnt take up much room, he's only a 25 kilo staffy. And he makes a great bed warmer!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Turning On
    Lol re the climbing out of bed.We have ours crossways,and cos Im the one who gets up most at night,I get to sleep on the inner side.Although it was still a pain with bed longways in last van,as you have to crawl further to get off the end!

Finished work early so got a couple of bits done. Finished bed frame all bar front supporting legs which ill do tomorrow (got some wombled stuff just for them), fitted cupboard bottom to right of bed, boxed in wheel arches and filled with recycled plastic insulation, sorted out rattle on side door and then it pissed down. Threw all the gear in the van so hence no pictures....
    The following users think this post is groovy: kiwikid, MacMac, Sootyfoot

Turning On
    Looking good.

Hopefully the first pic now gives a better idea of the bed layout. The full width frame is now sectioned off to accomodate a double matress with the remaining area to the right being a cupboard, or shelves or whatever...

So anyway, thats the completed bed base with pallet wood slats, screwed to the frame and with the centre support fitted. The support legs for the other end at the front will be visible, so I thought i'd use some table legs that I wombled some time ago. Cut down and screwed/sikaflexed in place they look ok, maybe need a bit of white chalk paint - not decided yet. Section of pallet wood trim finishes off the front edge of the bed which will also double up as the seating area hence the extra legs. Third leg is still to be fitted once cupboard is complete.

Had a visit from a fail possum when it turned out that boxing in the left hand wheel arch means that the spare won't sit in the left hand side under the bed any more. Not a biggie, just would have been handier to have access to other stuff without opening both doors but thats what you get for designing on the fly. Spare will now sit on the right with a toolbox next to it, and hoses, leads and other shit that I wont need very often will go to the left where the spare is currently sat in the pictures. The underbed area will have some battens fixed along it so I can slide storage boxes in from the front for all the food, dog stuff and other crap that i'll end up carrying.

Started construction of the kitchen unit. Some time ago I came across a lovely almost immaculate 50s/60s enamelled argyll two hob and grill stove that I knew i'd have to use in my build. To match this I wanted a sink that looked like an old washbowl, and after some searching a while ago I turned the one in the picture up on Ebay for 6 collected. Pallet wood they are both sat on is just so I could get an idea of how they would look, and to determine the layout. The tap is a wombled unit, with a piece of wombled stainless tube turned down to fit into the wombled aluminium flange that is at the bottom. Tap is araldited into the tube after connecting up the hose. (once I remembered) For the worktop I intend glueing and clamping some floorboards together and then cutting down to suit. with a curve to extend it out past the sink and along the bulkhead towards the side door.

Water container and gas bottle again just sat there so I can get some ideas for a layout. Can't really do a great deal more with it until I buy the fridge in the next week or so, however I can now get on with the wood cladding now I know where the unit is going. Floor next to gas bottle is missing a piece until I decide whether to put a steel lockert in for bottle, or just a ply one. I'm keeping my eye open for an old electrical panel at work, if one turns up that's the locker sorted...

Obligatory pictures below.

The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, jonathanh1989, kiwikid, MacMac, NomadicRT, patchypete, Petew, Sootyfoot, ursus, wurzel

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by frame69 View Post
    Very good. Similar to what Ive been doing to my LDV.
    Quote Originally Posted by essexcamper View Post
    Gotta say im loving this thread. Excellent job
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustic View Post
    Nice job so far mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sootyfoot View Post
    Cheers y'all - sorry if I've missed anyone...