Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: The Long Awaited MWB Sprinter Build

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_bee View Post
    What a stroke of luck.
    Or was it planning?

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

No, because I don't have a suspicious sort of mind (she lied...)
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, Rick69, Sootyfoot

Well its good news and bad news on the log book front. Posted it a week last Monday, luckily I used recorded delivery. Still no record of it being delivered today so the post office have admitted that they have lost it, and a phone call to the DVLA confirmed the same.

Online the cost of a replacement log book is 25 quid, so ive claimed that, a fiver for the full page colour photos, and the postage back from the royal mail. However when I told the DVLA the same story they said that they'd send one out today, I had to fill in the changes again and resubmit it with some more photos. Total cost nothing, so i'm 30 quid up on the deal!

Just hope they dont lose it again as I could do with getting the paperwork sorted!
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete, Petew, realnutter, Sootyfoot, wanderingwill, wurzel, yazz

So since the post office set about losing my log book and i'd had to pay them for the privelidge, i've been doing a bit more to the van. Of course it was finished before I sent the log book off your honour, but it's always evolving..

Cut a 4 inch hole in the roof for the mushroom vent above the cooker, and a 6 inch hole in the ceiling cladding to allow me to fit it. Note spice rack in position, cable for the fan, and the cable coming out the wall with a tyrap to stop it disappearing - this will get a little 20mm diameter illuminated switch fitted which will operate the fan (more later)

Made up a silicone gasket and a 25mm spacer out of plywood for the vent. Spacer is made by cutting a hole in a piece of ply with a 6 inch holesaw, then cutting another hole in the 6 inch disk with a 4 inch holesaw, with the screw holes filed to suit. Then painted black and siliconed to make it waterproof.

Originally I was going to fit the fan as shown just bolted through the panelling but I considered that venting steam into the cavity with a fan might force it down behind the cladding and insulation so that idea was abandoned.

I'd originally looked at a 12v mushroom vent, but luckily I asked the guy at Magnum Motorhomes to put it on a battery and try it. I'd asked him if it was quiet enough to sleep with whilst operating and his reply was "probably" which wasn't reassuring. Turns out that if you live next to an airport then his answer was probably correct, otherwise its just taking the piss!

I would consider it too noisy to have operating during the day never mind at night, and told him so. "Well you won't get any quieter mate" was a challenge that I was more than willing to take up, even if just for sheer bloody-mindedness and so a plan was hatched.

I bought a silent 120mm pc case fan off ebay for less than a tenner. Pulled the yellow speed sensor wire off as not required.

Tested various plastic signs etc at work until I found one that would melt when MEK cleaner was applied to it. This meant that it would glue with PVC pipe cement.

Made a flange adapter out of it by cutting it to the size of the fan...

Marking the centre...

and drilling through with a 4 inch holesaw...

I then took a piece of 4 inch PVC pipe and turned the ends parallel on the lathe. This was then glued to the flange adaptor with PVC pipe cement to give...

Finally drilled four holes to suit the fan and mounted it, giving the complete fan assembly

This was then sikafexed to the original mushroom vent as below. I've got a bit of boxing in to do but its next to nothing. I've also got a stainless finger guard for the bottom of the fan once the sealant has set. Note screws turned round so that fan can be removed in future if required.

Tested fan, it is virtually silent - yet to try it at night but these fans will quite happily run on 7 volts so if it is a bit noisy a 50 ohm resistor in the power line will quieten it right down. Fan is also now sealed so anything it sucks in goes outside which has got to be a bonus. Thanks for nothing Magnum Motorhomes!

Also we decided that we wanted a headboard in the van some time ago. The bed as previously stated is six foot two, more than enough for us so once photos were done headboard was started. You lose approx four inches of mattress, although technically the bed is still 6'2" long for the measurement police, but the top four inches are unuseable...

Pallet wood construction as usual, celotex insulation, ply backing.

Loads of sanding done, bit more filling done. Loads of staining, varnishing and painting to be done and i've got the heater to fit at some point in the future but it's useable as it is!
    Last edited by Rick69; 11-03--2017 at 03:54 PM. Reason: My spelling is getting worse...
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, jonathanh1989, junkmayle, Miss_bee, nicklincs, patchypete, realnutter, Sootyfoot, wanderingwill

I'd been looking at reversing cameras on Ebay and the interweb. Seems to be two schools of thought, buy a cheap one as they are ok and dont buy a cheap one, they are crap (mainly from the manufacturers of expensive ones!

I wasn't prepared to pay over 100 for one so thought fuck it, ill try a cheap chinese one and see how we get on. Bought this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2626419919...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT for under 25, unpacking it all seems a bit plasticcy, but I powered it up and all looked good (well as good as a picture of me looking into a fish eye reversing camera can)

I didn't want it on all the time, so I shortened the power cable to the monitor and soldered it to the power lead that runs with the video lead from the camera. Earthed at the nearest convenient point. I also wrapped tape round the plugs so that they don't vibrate loose at some point in the future.

Wanted the monitor out of the way so that it doesn't get mistaken for a sat nav by the brainless thieving hordes and a window broken to attempt to steal it. Came up with the idea of fitting it to the headlining, that way it's hidden when the sun visor is up. I always have the visor down in my vehicles so it wont be a problem when it comes time to use it. Snapped off the crap mount behind the monitor and drilled a couple of holes with a holesaw in the headlining material to allow the cables through. Good dollop of sikaflex for longevity, and some hot melt glue for an instant fix and it was stuck in position. (yes, I know the headlining needs a good clean before any kindly person points it out!)

Hidden when the visor is up...

Cable ran to the back of the van alongside some others, tyrapped out of the way. Camera power and monitor power soldered together to the red/white cable on the light cluster (reversing light) Camera earthed to the brown wire (who the hell decided that brown was a good colour for an earth, I mean its not like it's used for anything else in the electrical world is it!)

Camera was mounted near the middle of the drivers side door, purely because I didn't want to shell out for an extension lead so that it could be fitted near the number plate. Once the van is painted nato green, the camera will also get painted and will hardly be visible.

One thing worth pointing out to anyone buying this kit or similar, the hole saw supplied is 22.5 mm. The camera requires a 25mm hole. I used a decent 25mm holesaw and it cut the correct sized hole, it may be that the supplied holesaw is that shit that the hole ends up 25mm (it certainly didnt cost more than 20p to produce) but as I didn't try it I don't know, however bear it in mind...

Camera was set up and is more than good enough for backing up with, certainly worth 25 of anyones money.
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, jonathanh1989, junkmayle, Offgrid hero, patchypete, Petew, realnutter, Sootyfoot

Nice work - following this with interest, keep it up! I'm dreaming of doing something like this but a little way off yet.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69

Well it appears that the post office were a sight more successful in doing their job second time round, checked this morning and letter had been delivered to the dvla. Now hoping it all goes smoothly...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Strange, got a log book in the post this morning, amended to motor caravan and dated 15/3/17 - the same date I posted the replacement log book off.

It would appear that the original was never signed for, and so appeared as lost! At least i'll get some cash for my trouble!

Now hoping that the one I have just sent them to be amended to the same thing doesnt't cause any problems....
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete, wurzel

The insurance company have said today that they are happy with the photos that i sent them, so the conversion is officially completed.

Since then i have discovered that a couple of changes might make it better for us, so now to "uncomplete" it and fit some bits that we wanted
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, patchypete, Sootyfoot

Not Quite a Noobie
    Awesome job there mate this may come across differently than it's intended to but can I say I love your wood & your van great job

Quote Originally Posted by Rick69 View Post
    Strange, got a log book in the post this morning, amended to motor caravan and dated 15/3/17 - the same date I posted the replacement log book off.

It would appear that the original was never signed for, and so appeared as lost! At least i'll get some cash for my trouble!

Now hoping that the one I have just sent them to be amended to the same thing doesnt't cause any problems....
    Got mine back on Saturday 'tis also a Motor Caravan now yayyyy!!!

Thanks for the pointers mate.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, patchypete

Quote Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
    Got mine back on Saturday 'tis also a Motor Caravan now yayyyy!!!

Thanks for the pointers mate.

No problem!

As of today van has a full 12 month class 4 mot with no advisories.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Big Millie, Colin M, convoy, essexcamper, nicklincs, patchypete, Petew, realnutter, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature
    YAAAAAAY!

Done some more tidying and finishing of edges etc, given it a good hoover out and filled it with all sorts of crap that we will probably never need whilst away in it.

Also installed a fire blanket and extinguisher, and a couple of other safety features...

Found a pair of curtains up in the loft, had them altered so that they cover the wooden bulkhead in the cab side and also cover the crawl through so that you aren't woken up at daft o'clock in the mornings when the sun comes up.

Tig welded some of the four inch stainless dairy pipe that I wombled together to make a purely decorative sculpture...

Which goes nicely with the other decorative metal sculpture now installed in the van...

Yes I know the pictures are still crap, one day I will buy a camera that has a flash - until then I think another gentleman on here has better pictures of the metalwork, if you wait or even ask nicely he may post a couple of them for you....
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, essexcamper, julianthegypsy, Offgrid hero, Petew, wurzel

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    Done some more tidying and finishing of edges etc, given it a good hoover out and filled it with all sorts of crap that we will probably never need whilst away in it.

Also installed a fire blanket and extinguisher, and a couple of other safety features...

Found a pair of curtains up in the loft, had them altered so that they cover the wooden bulkhead in the cab side and also cover the crawl through so that you aren't woken up at daft o'clock in the mornings when the sun comes up.

Tig welded some of the four inch stainless dairy pipe that I wombled together to make a purely decorative sculpture...

Which goes nicely with the other decorative metal sculpture now installed in the van...

Yes I know the pictures are still crap, one day I will buy a camera that has a flash - until then I think another gentleman on here has better pictures of the metalwork, if you wait or even ask nicely he may post a couple of them for you....
    I think there's probably enough photos of my medium burner on here already! Very nice job on the flue mate, but I'd put a thin sheet of steel underneath, at least in front, to catch any stray embers when you open the door! Well done on the CO/smoke detector too. If you keep the flue clean it will probably never go off, but its always a good idea to have one that never goes off, rather than not have one and have a fire. The stove isn't the only thing that could potentially cause a fire anyway, electrics can set things off too so better safe than sorry!
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, Rick69, Sootyfoot

To be fair im going to, but im off work this week and i cut a big hole in my roof yesterday so had to get it fitted! Theres enough movement to get an appropriately sized bit of stainless or checker under it when i can get back to work to get some.
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

Well today has convinced me that I need to get some nato green paint on the van...

The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, essexcamper, julianthegypsy, Sootyfoot, wanderingwill

Painting begins - 2 inch brush so its going on thick. Im pretty sure that im going to need another can....

The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, Sootyfoot, wurzel

Painting begins - 2 inch brush so its going on thick. Im pretty sure that im going to need another can....

And Sooty isn't here to see it! Get well soon Sooty!
    Smile - It'll make them nervous.

That's really nice m8. I would like to repainted our Starship fully; have done the front bumper and will probs continue that around the bottom panels. Burgundy or burgundy/turquoise. I love what appears to be a showmans' style paint job on Mrs P's Hymer. Toby n Suzy Trux.

Well imgsafe has been down for days now, dont know if it will be back, or indeed if it is then whether any images will be back up. Ironically photobucket which was replaced as a pic host after loads of problems is now working fine.

So apologies to anyone who wanted loads of pics, they were there!
    Ill upload a few random ones for anyone who has made it this far unless i can manage to fix the links in the posts...

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Nice! glad you have painted the grill etc so I can decide how much of mine to do lol, did you have to primer the plastic bits first?
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.