THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tinnitus

I used to take ginko, but since I am on warfarin at the moment, that is no longer an option for me. it never stopped mine.
    We perform the impossible every day - Miracles take a little longer.

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    Fair enough. Pity though.

Tuning In
    I've had tinnitus for years, mid high pitch constant whistle, 3g, 4g, phones, electrical equipment have no bearing on it what so ever, loud music doesnt make it worse, it rises and lowers of its own accord with no definite interference, even when in really quiet spots, i have always had sinus problems which has a bearing on it am sure, colds etc dont have an effect on it.

I can have the normal level, then all of a sudden, even in outside in total quiet areas or in my truck with no radio, i will get a 'blast' if you will, like another noise kicks in like a screaming, then after a minute or two it goes, if I am going to sneeze it can happen. If I have the radio on, its there but as I am concentrating on something else with my ears, I dont notice it, then when turn the radio off, its there. I now treat it like a friend, why have an enemy in your head, that creates head fuck, I do wish it would disappear totally as it does get annoying as I rarely have total 100% silence, but at times i do if I concentrate to block it out, bizarrely enough, making a point of listening for the silence kind of balances it out, but thats training the brain to ignore it if that makes sense.

I've not heard about ginko, will look this one up out of interest.

The white noise boxes etc dont do fook all for me, having some quiet music on does, by having the music on, its the brain that concentrates on listening to it, and have learnt to get my brain to concentrate on listening to the nothing which helps cancel it out, fool the brain and you can sort of fool the tinnitus to not interfere, i dont get unbroken sleep from it and it never stops me going to sleep, I have kind of learnt to treat it like it is the sound of waves breaking on the shore to then hear to the tinnitus in a different light. the tone of mine changes quite regularly so does the level which I feel is better than a continuous monotone one level noise.

thats my experience with it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Grendel, itinerant child, wurzel

Yes Wizard,thats exactly how I treat mine,like a friend!Ive had it for around 4 yrs now.I find,if I do notice its particularly loud,if I focus my mind on something else,it disappears into the background.If I wake at night,yes I'll hear it,then I focus on my ticking clock and the whistling fades out.Some days seem worse than others,but I figure,if I learn to live with it,without getting annoyed,it'll go on its own accord,in whatever way that happens.
    Mine probably was caused by too many gigs,using headphones to listen to music etc.Now I treat my ears with alot more kindness
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child

Tuning In
    mine has gone wild the last week or so, had a deep inner ear infection called labyrinthitis the last few month's so wether its a result of this I know not, but its putting me right off. I seriously hope it calms down back to what it was because this is louder than I've ever had it and ther eis about three different tones, sounds going on.

I have found that if I gently squeeze the bit of skull bone that runs from just above and down behind the ears both sides at the same time with finger tips it goes right down volume wise, I almost want to put a narrow strap around my head with a small buckle at night to simulate this gentle pressing to see if this will keep it quiet as cant sleep with fingers pressing it gently until fall asleep. will give it a go. I want to persue it further with maybe physio on skull bones around the ears, maybe Indian head massage, never had an Indian head massage but I'm feeling I want to have a session.

This recent volume is over shadowing my brain chatter during the day, its a good job I know and am easily able to switch the general brain chatter off that is our waking thought process, its the physical thoughts of it going on that will make me get pissed off with it, so if dont actually have brain chatter about it, its just a noise.

An intersting article from Dr Mercola on the subject.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...rid=1783661877

In my case of Menieres and other problems with hypo-tension,it has been down to lack of salt in my diet. We are constantly been told that we all need to minimize out salt consumption.Does it make sense for someone with hypo-tension?
    We all lead different lives.

Tuning In
    f.f.s, this is driving me fucking wild now, so much so, I had to ring the doc's as can get a same day appointment if ring between 8 and 9 a.m, did have an appointment next week for a review of the same thing which they thought it was labyrinthitis when I went first time a few month's ago, I got a right anxiety attack on yesterday morning which is high;y rare for me, cant say i've ever had them but of late due to the discomfort and disorietating effect's going on, I just couldnt cope, saw a different doc and had a good chat and she mentioned Meniere's as have got this pressure feeling behind my ears and in the back of head,

it feels like my inner self has been unplugged form the exterior body if that makes sense, still havent had an absolute diagnosis, but they put me back on prochlorperazine which I had prescribed when I first presented with a problem of the dizzy spinny feelings in my head which was diagnosed as labyrinthitis but dont get the physical vertigo, I havennt got the spinny dizzy feeling just quite a lot louder tinnitus and a feeling of pressure, the doc gave me some sheets to read up on Meniere's and the pressure feeling is part of it but am not getting the nausea and vomiting that is attributed to it, I'm not going to convince myself this is a definite diagnosis but its taken over my everyday usual thought patterns, its most infuriating and annoying as its taken over my head at the moment, I seriously hope its just some weird phase as this is head fuck at the moment,

the worst part of a direct diagnosis of Meniere's in the U.K so I've read on the print outs the doc gave me is it is a D.V.L.A notifiable thing where you may have to hand your driving licence in, I presume thats for the worse cases of it of falling over and collapsing, that would be a big fuck it for me.

It will have to be o.k as long as I dont have any more of that anxiety attack, that was horrible, on the leaflet, these tablets also aid anxiety so hopefully they will keep it at bay, there is no real rhyme or reason why this has come on.

have to think of it that there is a lot of people in a whole worse situation but its really testing my patience at the moment.

Tuning In
    and a while later, aftyer a dya and a half on the tablets, it has all calmed down and my tinnitus (touch wood crossing all fingers and everything else) has calmed down to what is usual, which is quite minimal as am used to it and it does not drain out my brain chatter and thought's,
    The following users think this post is groovy: wurzel

I`m suffering quite badly with this now,for me it`s a constant whistling at just over 8000 hz,non of my visitors can hear or sense it.

Tuning In
    Had a really distressing time with this last year, hospital ran a hearing check which turned out tip top. That cleared up my shame and anger at having broken my ears at gigs, but closing line was essentially that 'your ears are fine you're just mad' which didn't really help.
    Saw the tinnitus clinic a few weeks later, it's a speciality in Bristol apparently but then we do have the Bristol Hum!
    Outcome was it's not that bad for me, definitely linked to lifelong insomnia. Most of my distress was the interaction between the two - couldn't sleep for tinnitus, couldn't de-stress for insomnia so had raging tinnitus. And on and on.
    Had to try to put my mind at rest about it, sleep improved as it always does at some point and it's not been a worry since.

Actually Monday night after 3 days of metal gigs I did suddenly panic, but it turned out to be a new park up and sound of wind in the trees!

unleash my pharma powers! Daisysmum's Avatar
    Hi OK I don't know how popular I'm going to be for this. I thought I'd try to post this and help as Dad had tinnitus. I know that some of you have a general bad feeling against Big Pharma.
    There was this drug which was for epilepsy (believe it or not the conditions are linked) but it was also discovered to be rather good for tinnitus, drug was called Retigabine. Why didn't it get prescribed? well, side effects basically!
    https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads...scussion.5074/
    The pigment changes that they are talking about:
    https://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/r...s#.WSxXWGjytdg
    I did see one poster on a tinnitus forum say that he could tolerate blue skin if the ringing stopped. Anyway Retigabine has been discontinued as of June 2017. But not before there were safer analogs made of the drug, ie ones that didn't produce the blue metabolites that made you look slightly smurfy.
    This was the original article I found. https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0330102848.htm
    I hope that is useful to you I have no idea what phase in drug trials the analog is in but i can try and find out if anyone wants to know. Drugs can take ages to come out.
    Last edited by Daisysmum; 29-05--2017 at 06:51 PM.

unleash my pharma powers! Daisysmum's Avatar
    Also found this which is the Science Daily thing but from another angle. https://www.neuro-central.com/2016/0...ment-outcomes/

I'm going to make an appt with my doc soon.I think I might need a hearing aid.I've had issues with my left ear since childhood,and its got worse over time.I just did abit of research and from the NHS website,found a link to these?I really like them.
    http://www.21stcenturyhearing.com/he...ing-aids.shtml
    You are the creator of your own reality!

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    I find my tinnitus is a bit blood pressure related , when its high , my ears roar

Quote Originally Posted by ma bungo View Post
    I find my tinnitus is a bit blood pressure related , when its high , my ears roar
    Sorry to hear that MB!

Does anyone else experience a sort of clicking noise sometimes too?

Sometimes I get clicking when the air pressure changes, such as driving up or down a long hill. I've lived with tinnitus for decades, part of my job when I was a teenager was sticking my head by each speaker at concerts to check they're all working properly.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    Sorry to hear that MB!
    I am on meds for HB , but I can tell when its up by the noise , its like a jet engine
    !
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    From what I've read recently, some researchers into tinnitus seem to be relating it to phantom limb syndrome. That means it is not actually a physical sound, but the brain's response to damaged hair cells in the inner ear.

I wonder what I would be prepared to give for an hour of silence ... y'know, real silence
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69

Tuning In
    It's a wishy-washy answer, but don't fetishise silence, it just ups the sense that 'something is wrong', which reinforces the stress response to noticing the tinnitus, which spins you back round the cycle!
    The following users think this post is groovy: grumble

Im paying the price now for years of loud music, loud plant rooms and shooting. To enjoy some proper quiet would be great.
    Im on bp tablets too and notice it more if it gets high, although it's not the same noise..

Are there hearing aids which make a kind of white noise to help with it?

WiFi and EMS,just some more stuff they aint telling us,

http://www.detect-protect.com/k/videos/SPintro6-min.mp4
    The following users think this post is groovy: wurzel