THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tinnitus

Sex
    Male

Tinnitus

..... is there a cure? or a way of easing it?

I've had it for about 18 months now it never really bothered me only being a low dull buzz but recently it has become more shrill, louder, sometimes it is still not too bad but like right now it's doing my feckin head in, I am at the moment coming out of a week long head cold and blocked sinuses, would that've made it worse?

I believe there is a thing called Chinese Ear Candles, practised at acupuncturists is that for this or something else?
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.

My partners had it for donkey's years she not found anyway of easing it. Maybe something helps for diff levels of Tinatus. Sorry cannot be much more help.
    The following users think this post is groovy: wurzel

Tuning In
    Sex
    Female
    Your cold could have made the pitch difference, it should drop back to same pitch once you are clear from your cold. There are a number of masters on the market, they work for some but no cure so far. Lots of tinnitus support groups on line.
    Hope it improves soon.

I have had it for about the same time as you wurzel,but a high pitched whistle,it`s about 9000hz only hear at home though,as soon as i`m out and about it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tinnitus

Sex
    Male
    Thanks for the replies folks, nomis, I have wondered if it is increased by electrical interference as it seems more prolific in work, there are radio and phone chargers, 2 computers electronic scales, alarm receiving panel, lights, electric gates and barriers systems etc, etc.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis

Yes,i am almost certain it`s electrical,been doing some digging on it,looks like 3G and 4G can cause it too.

Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Yes,i am almost certain it`s electrical,been doing some digging on it,looks like 3G and 4G can cause it too.
    only amongst the gullible....
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69

Sex
    Male
    I have had it for years now, ever since a Hawkwind concert, not a lot to be done about it, its the little hairs that you hear with that are damaged, you can get to ignore it, my biggest problem is hearing quiet noises in a noisy environment. I find a constant background music helps when trying to get to sleep.
    We perform the impossible every day - Miracles take a little longer.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis, wurzel

Quote Originally Posted by realnutter View Post
    only amongst the gullible....
    That`l be me then not a great feeling,thanks.

Sex
    Male
    It's physics... 3G and 4G signals are such a high frequency, and such low power, that no bio-chemical system could possibly be interfered with by them.... Tinnitus is real, and caused by damage to the tiny hairs of the inner ear, but anything that makes it worse is more likely to be internal than external... Stress for example...

WE are all different RN,with all due respect,you don`t know everything about physics and how it relates to every individual.
    There is plenty of information out there that disagrees with your stance.

Sex
    Male
    With all due respect, Simon... there is plenty of anecdotal "evidence" but no scientific evidence (as in double blind tested).... Unless you can enlighten me otherwise...

Wifi too,seems to only affect some people.
    Big money in it,so expect plenty of paid for research debunking,same as many other things.
    Best thing is to do your homework and make your own decision.

The truth is out there NomadicRT's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Ive had tinnitus for years,it never goes away i just dont notice it as much sometimes..Some people can get some relief from white noise generators or background.music though neither have been much help to me.Playing the same frequency as the tinnitus can appear to cancel it out.That has worked for me but its just too much hassle.wearing headphones or earplugs constantly.
    Although its attributable to ear damage it can also be caused by medications youre taking or stress and poor sleep poor circulation high blood pressure or nerve inflammation so depending on the cause its not necessarily totally incurable.Discuss with GP if its seriously annoying you.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Sex
    Male
    Well poor sleep patterns is a big one for me, I very rarely get a night of unbroken sleep.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Sex
    Male
    Ive had it for years - shooting, loud music and very loud plant rooms did for me - all in the days before compulsary ear protection at work.
    I dont find mine is affected by sleep or lack of it, and its not affected by electronics or phone signals.

It is definately affected by my sinuses, i know im getting a cold or bunged up when it gets louder, and can be bad for weeks afterwards. Some low noise or the radio helps, but luckily it doesnt affect my sleep too much even when its bad.

It also seems to lessen when i lie down so that could tie in with what NRT was saying about blood pressure. It also gets better throughout the day, if ive been exposed to noise for a while i assume your hearing sensitivity drops and this may be why..
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    I've had it for years too. I've not really found much relief from noise generator/cancellation techniques. I joined a tinnitus forum a while ago, but they seem to be quite good at building up hopes for some kind of treatment which, when tested, doesn't quite seem as useful as intended. I think that poor sleep and tinnitus feed off each other. At least that's what it feels like.

Working often in noisy musical environments I always thought I was careful with my hearing. I had expensive ear plugs made to measure and I made sure I wore them. I always have ear plugs with me at gigs. I had an audiologist test my hearing about ten years ago and he said my hearing was the best he had seen that year for someone my age. Still got it though.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    I used to suffer very badly from it and used to have an annoyingly loud whistle going on whenever I was in a tranquil place

I heard somewhere that gingko was helpful and with my memory starting to slowly disapear which gingko is also recommended for,I thought it would be worth giving a go. I took capsules for a few months.

This was probably about six or seven years ago and the tinatus very rarely appears at all now,in fact I had it one evening recently and was shocked as have not had it in at least a year.

I also heard amongst the whistling that there was no known cure or aid for this infliction,but am quite certain that it was the gingko that made the difference. I highlight "quite sure" though,as obviously I can not be certain it was the gingko,but I do think that it was!!

I used to sit on top of mountains and hate the fact that I could not enjoy the silence,but for quite a few years now I can and I hope with all mly heart my friend that you can enjoy it again one day yourself.

Love and light

Fly xx
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)

Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by itinerant child View Post
    I used to suffer very badly from it and used to have an annoyingly loud whistle going on whenever I was in a tranquil place

I heard somewhere that gingko was helpful and with my memory starting to slowly disapear which gingko is also recommended for,I thought it would be worth giving a go. I took capsules for a few months.

This was probably about six or seven years ago and the tinatus very rarely appears at all now,in fact I had it one evening recently and was shocked as have not had it in at least a year.

I also heard amongst the whistling that there was no known cure or aid for this infliction,but am quite certain that it was the gingko that made the difference. I highlight "quite sure" though,as obviously I can not be certain it was the gingko,but I do think that it was!!

I used to sit on top of mountains and hate the fact that I could not enjoy the silence,but for quite a few years now I can and I hope with all mly heart my friend that you can enjoy it again one day yourself.

Love and light

Fly xx
    That is amazing, Fly. I have also craved silence for years and now I live mostly in a tranquil place I cannot experience it. I'm in France for a few days and am not sure where to look for gingko, but I shall certainly give it a go when I get back to the UK.

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by marshlander View Post
    That is amazing, Fly. I have also craved silence for years and now I live mostly in a tranquil place I cannot experience it. I'm in France for a few days and am not sure where to look for gingko, but I shall certainly give it a go when I get back to the UK.
    You will find it in the health food-organic section of most supermarkets in france,though am sure that it will be cheaper in the uk.

I can not guarentee that it was the gingko,but I have never heard of tinitus healing up on its own,so I am pretty sure it must be that.

I hope that you can enjoy peace again soon.

Fly xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander

Sex
    Male
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, wurzel

The truth is out there NomadicRT's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Ive seen gingko in waitrose drug and vitamins section recently...you can also get it online on amazon, ebay holland and barratt etc ...i might give it a try.Ive gotten.used to the ever present whistle but anything is worth a go to try to banish it.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander

Sex
    Male
    I'll have to try some gingko too yeah I'm a fool to myself sometimes but only with music these days any other activity and I've got ear defenders on, if a good tune comes on the stereo when I'm driving it gets cranked right up

My sinuses are now clear after a bad week but it's still whistling pretty loud for now.

A few years back we were at the end of The Llyn Peninsula, the few other people that were in that site had gone out for the day or whatever, the missus went for a shower, I sat there in total silence on my own in the sunshine, then the silence was broken by blue bottles fighting, it sounded real close almost as if they were next to my ear, I opened my eyes to see them doing battle on the grass in front of me, must have been 6ft away I now appreciate how lucky we are to have hearing I'd love to get mine back to normal.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, marshlander, Rick69, treeboy

Sex
    Male
    Just ordered 6 months worth of ginkgo tablets (600mg) for less than a fiver.

Fingers crossed