THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in Buying a little patch of land

I've got 5acres already. But I've got rules & cricket mentions most of them. Maybe we have several dozen plots of land throughout the UK and give the planners and NIMBY's a run fir their money. I'd be into investing in land again, but this time I want/need tree cover too. A adjacent navigable waterway would really push the boat a bit closer too.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

I'm thinking it is going to be difficult to get 4 people to commit/invest ,12-30 that would be asking something , some sort of crowd funded community maybe, I'll probably be to old or dead before that comes to pass .
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by cricket
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Who makes the rules?Sets the parameters?UKHippy as with all groups of people has persons with wide areas of difference.I wouldnt want to be near hordes of rampaging kids,dogs,cats,alcohol,drugs (apart from pot
    ,)tyre burners etc.Who sorts the finances?Involving others means organising,loot and logistics.Could be at the extremes of a "Waltons" whimsey or a" Lord of The Flies" remake.
    What I would really like is to have enough loot to get a place to run as a delux elcheapo travellers chill out,then if I get racked off at anything like raves every night,plastic burning,dog poo all over I can tell them to clear off.Does that make me a controlling capitalist pig or just like most of us on here?

Yes things always start with good intentions...reality can often prove something entirely different and not at all what one had envisioned...hey ho...out of my financial reach anyway so not actually something i could seriously get involved in....pot growing would be cool though.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: ursus

Is there 12 of us who already own our land and we could do a land parcel swap? Legal fees will be a few grand each, but we know who we will be working with & the lay of the land beforehand. Then we simply move around with the 28day rule and live happily ever after.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Somebody's pitch could accommodate more than one household a cheeky little lodger's pitch would be mutually beneficial
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Chilling Out

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    I really don't know what a realistic outlay would be, but it would have to include money for the extra legal costs of multiple ownership I would have to assume that my lovely neighbours would sell their plot to somebody and I'd hope I'd be protected by some ground rules set out in the deeds we all had a hand in but that's the nature of the beast I guess

Hi you will always get doubters and people who overthink everything but sometimes you just got to go for it and take a risk , you only live once you know , I tried for years to get people together to buy land , farms ect but it can be done , we just got 5 people to put 5 grand each in and bought 5/12 acres around 10 years ago, basic rules you want out you get back what you put in no profit , and you have to offer your share back to the group first before offered to anyone else , , , I think 12 plots dotted around the country is a great idea you would only need small plots , but I would still be up for a large place for shareholders only
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Fire-Tree, NomadicRT, Offgrid hero, Rick69, schatje, treeboy

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    Is there 12 of us who already own our land and we could do a land parcel swap? Legal fees will be a few grand each, but we know who we will be working with & the lay of the land beforehand. Then we simply move around with the 28day rule and live happily ever after.
    Ali, what acreage is required to qualify for the 28 day rule? Is it 12.5 (5Ha)?

Somebody's bound to have a shit bit of land that nobody's looking forward to moving to or not in the right area for work but it's got to be possible , a large area of land and we all move around within it so they can't prove if we've been out or not?
    just a simple guy

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    Ali, what acreage is required to qualify for the 28 day rule? Is it 12.5 (5Ha)?
    There is no minimum or maximum. If you need to get a large vehicle on there to park up in. It's no good having a small bit and no good if the enterance and track to your plot won't allow access. You really need to be realistic about how little you could get away with.
    There is 4046 square meters in a acre. So having a communal central track that's wide enough for reversing in and out of adjacent plots on each side if the central track. Many many plots to the acre.

A bolt hole in Spain sounds nice to me for half the year
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket, NomadicRT, ursus

Heavenly Creature

There is no minimum or maximum. If you need to get a large vehicle on there to park up in. It's no good having a small bit and no good if the enterance and track to your plot won't allow access. You really need to be realistic about how little you could get away with.
    There is 4046 square meters in a acre. So having a communal central track that's wide enough for reversing in and out of adjacent plots on each side if the central track. Many many plots to the acre.
    OK, I found it:

TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING, ENGLAND
    The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted

Development) (England) Order 2015

Schedule 2, Part 4, Class B

Agricultural land would be a premium price unless you drop lucky and some woodland sites have 'covenants' with clauses such as [QUOTEThe purchaser and successors in title shall not sell the land except as a whole specifically not in such a way that it could be registered in separate titles or in separate ownerships.][/QUOTE]

I've looked at several but ideally something like
    would suffice IF the land could be split to allow 28 days use. There has to be a catch or it would be happening and would be known about on here.

it will just end up in arguments. It always does.

sorry

You have hit the nail with the covenants wulfie or wayleaves or some other restriction laid down years ago. I can't mine minerals on my land. Goes back to the days when it was owned by a wealthy Country estate. Also more sellers are insisting if ever these plots get planning consent, the original seller gets a big share (pay back) of the market value of the land when valued with planning. 30 years ago I walked away from a few sales. Last minute search found other parties had legal access to other parcels of land through it etc or diverted PRoW to be reinstated following sale. I know my land is good for selling and good for 28 day rule to any purchaser. Including permissive access via 3 lawful routes/tracks/lanes. Like me no mineral rights could be included. But good access is everything. I piped mains water up to the field many years ago. Something would be unachievale and far too costly these days. 32mm blue plastic buried. This could supply 20 to 40 standpipes or horse troughs. Lawful requirement for one dwelling is 25mm min. With 32mm one dwelling and many horse troughs and standpipes.

I was imagining some land divided up into individual pitch's screened with hedges maybe a communal area maybe daily use vehicles are parked closest to road? i think copying an existing idea would be a good place to start ,I like the idea that if a plot was up for sale it would be offered to the group first and only for the original purchase price no profit ? I'm happy to have shit loads of common sense rules for the common good.
    just a simple guy

There are actually quite a few model landshare agreements for similar communities ...im in one eco sustainable community org and ive access to all the different community and landshare model options that were created for communities like LAMMAS and LILI I could dig them out for anyone in a position to jointly or severally purchase land if it ever got to that stage.
    I think the probably the most important element is going into it with people you already know and trust them and their motives...theres bound to be a few unscrupulous opportunists around ...the hippy community isnt exempt from them unfortunately.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 30-11--2016 at 03:31 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Offgrid hero

I've been daydreaming about this sort of thing for a while but I've not Googled anything as yet , I would be interested in information on existing models/templates , I think there's never been a better time for the government/councils to think about affordable self funded housing sept maybe after the war , but I'm thinking somewhere to escape the winter might be the go.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Chilling Out

I've been daydreaming about this sort of thing for a while but I've not Googled anything as yet , I would be interested in information on existing models/templates , I think there's never been a better time for the government/councils to think about affordable self funded housing sept maybe after the war , but I'm thinking somewhere to escape the winter might be the go.

Well I will keep looking in to see what develops but as I said before I would be interested in chipping in , myself I am not looking for a static permanent pitch just somewhere to pull in now and then if I was in the area , maybe if a few people owned some plots of woodland we could phone to see who was parked there , see if there was any room ect , the one we own already we have no separate plots , no water , lecy just a long drop in a shed and come and go as I please, park where ever i want , as few spots like this around the country would be cool or one big plot /wood either here or abroad , it must be doable , I know a lot of people always put problems first but an old guy told me once when I was being negative about something DONT BORROW TROUBLE
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, NomadicRT, Offgrid hero

I don't know what the first step would be, agree an area or a budget ?
    just a simple guy

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    There are actually quite a few mode landshare agreements for similar communities ...im in one eco sustainable community org and ive access to all the different community and landshare model options that were created for.communities like LAMMAS and LILI I could dig them.out for anyone in a position to jointly or severally purchase land if it ever got to that stage.I think the probably the most impirtant element is goung into itvwith people you already know and trust them and their motives...theres bound to vlbe a few unscrupulous opportunists around ...the hippy community isnt exempt from them unfortunately.
    That's very interesting information. I would love a look over them.

That's very interesting information. I would love a look over them.
    no worries..Ill find the info...it would be easy if i could post a link but its in a member only area so ill have to sort through it and copy n paste...youll have to bear with.me.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Offgrid hero

Heavenly Creature

This is my highest priority as I slowly creep towards early middle age
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Fire-Tree

Tuning In
    I would be interested in this....just sayin. ...

There's a community near Leominster. I looked to call a few months back and although there were a good 8 - 10 homes on the area, it looked deserted and the gate was locked. They'd been there some time and I was wondering how they managed. I'll try and visit unless there's a Member on here who lives there.