THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in Buying a little patch of land

Anyone interested in Buying a little patch of land

I'm thinking with the right personality's buying some land or even an old farm could be achievable/affordable, I'm in the mood for the next chapter of life and something along the lines of a small community of individual pitch's where people could come and go from would suit me , I haven't looked through the archives but I'm sure this sort of proposal has been discussed many times but I'm still keen for a repeat , any thoughts?
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: bachi123, cricket, jedirabbit, kampaman&Tracy, markh, naturalspirit, NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    Why don't we buy a camp-site?
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, cricket, Fire-Tree, Lightbringer, NomadicRT, Offgrid hero

Or an old commercial plot and go for full planning for a few traveling familys say 8 and get 4?
    just a simple guy

Heavenly Creature
    I was thinking more of a ukh and friends campsite, we could buy it between us through a shell company. Loads of benefits
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Fire-Tree, Lightbringer, markh, Offgrid hero, Rick69, ursus

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Sounds a good idea, there must be some logistical issues but a smart mind could probably work around those.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Good idea if youve money but existing campsites arent cheap...best option would.probably be buy some land and apply for small campsite license.The camping and caravaning club help landowners set up small.certified sites.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, cricket, Lightbringer, Offgrid hero, samyorks

I'd be happy with a campsite but not keen on business rates/insurance or dealing with plebs
    just a simple guy

I wasn't going to limit it to the uk either but drivable/affordable
    just a simple guy

I guess if a piece of land was bought in some secluded spot surrounded by trees or even woodland where parking was possible within the trees people could come and go pretty low key stealth wise.
    Have to admit im not terribly keen on the idea of sharing spots with non traveller/ hippy folk
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, jedirabbit, Lightbringer

Any plot could be landscaped for individuals privacy or to appease planners I wouldn't like to be on show
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    I wasn't going to limit it to the uk either but drivable/affordable
    In parts of Northern and Central Spain there are whole abandoned villages for sale for virtually peanuts
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, cricket, Fire-Tree, Lightbringer, markh, Offgrid hero, ursus

So we buy a village in Spain and grow pot awesome
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Fire-Tree, Lightbringer, markh, NomadicRT, Okifolki, oldkeith, Uncle jhad, ursus

Heavenly Creature
    So it's coming together then?
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Fire-Tree, NomadicRT, Offgrid hero

It is
    just a simple guy

Chilling Out

I'm thinking with the right personality's buying some land or even an old farm could be achievable/affordable, I'm in the mood for the next chapter of life and something along the lines of a small community of individual pitch's where people could come and go from would suit me , I haven't looked through the archives but I'm sure this sort of proposal has been discussed many times but I'm still keen for a repeat , any thoughts?

Hi I would be up for a place where you could park up for a few weeks at a time , I already part own a 5 acre woodland so been there before , how much each was you thinking ? say 5000
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Fire-Tree, wandering gypsy

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    I,d be in at that

I also own an ace or two in the devon countryside it is the best thing I've ever invested in and would happily invest in something similar no interest on offer in the banking system anyway
    just a simple guy

Originally Posted by boneheaddread

Hi I would be up for a place where you could park up for a few weeks at a time , I already part own a 5 acre woodland so been there before , how much each was you thinking ? say 5000
    Difficult to say isn't it but at a guess I'm thinking 10-15 k a pop but not looked into abroad
    just a simple guy

Chilling Out

Difficult to say isn't it but at a guess I'm thinking 10-15 k a pop but not looked into abroad

At 5000 a share I would take the risk but not at 10,000 15000 with people that I dont even know , you must be able to get some land in wales or scotland or abroad for 100.000 150,000 thats only 20 - 30 shares
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, wandering gypsy

Who makes the rules?Sets the parameters?UKHippy as with all groups of people has persons with wide areas of difference.I wouldnt want to be near hordes of rampaging kids,dogs,cats,alcohol,drugs (apart from pot
    ,)tyre burners etc.Who sorts the finances?Involving others means organising,loot and logistics.Could be at the extremes of a "Waltons" whimsey or a" Lord of The Flies" remake.
    What I would really like is to have enough loot to get a place to run as a delux elcheapo travellers chill out,then if I get racked off at anything like raves every night,plastic burning,dog poo all over I can tell them to clear off.Does that make me a controlling capitalist pig or just like most of us on here?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, ursus, wandering gypsy, Wulfie, wurzel

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Uncle jhad
    I was thinking more of a ukh and friends campsite, we could buy it between us through a shell company. Loads of benefits
    Hope this doesn't sound like teaching granny, etc, buts somebody/ies could end up controlling it. It will attract the sort of people who see themselves acheiving that control. As well as the good guys, of course! .You don't want to put all that hard work and coin into a project that eventually you have no say in, and maybe no asset of value either. So you have to be very very careful about your structure, and consult with a variety of people who have established long-lasting communities. If you get it right you can pass the blueprint on... but you won't know for a generation. I admire the concept, the generous principle of sharing, and I wish you all the luck in the world.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer

What would be the score on say, a patch of land, say 6 acres, separated into 12 individual plots for 12 people. Would they be able then to rotate from plot to plot for 28 days at a time without getting probs from the council or is that too easy ???

Transcending
    Why not look at the Lammas model ? Or one of the other communities ?

They seem happy, and the model means that somebody who doesn't fit can be expelled.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, cricket, Offgrid hero

Originally Posted by boneheaddread

At 5000 a share I would take the risk but not at 10,000 15000 with people that I dont even know , you must be able to get some land in wales or scotland or abroad for 100.000 150,000 thats only 20 - 30 shares
    I really don't know what a realistic outlay would be, but it would have to include money for the extra legal costs of multiple ownership I would have to assume that my lovely neighbours would sell their plot to somebody and I'd hope I'd be protected by some ground rules set out in the deeds we all had a hand in but that's the nature of the beast I guess
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer