THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Driving Jobs - which licence?

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar

Driving Jobs - which licence?

Evenin'

Anyone here working in the driving/logistics sector?

Which licence D, D1, C, X, Y, Z etc is the best one to have. Which one will provide the most frequent? Are agencies the way to go? Or should I run whilst I still can and find something else.

That's the impression I got from our local Hermes courier. Her face said it all.

It all seems rather expensive too.

Thanking you.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money

HGV C1E CE is good money if you land the right jobs or have a good agency...it can be crap too...i managed on an agency to get mostly really good jobs and refused the crap.But its long hours sitting about on loading bays or in traffic..On the whole its ok..Its expensive to do the driving course though...the good part is theres a national shortage of HGV drivers so some companies are offering good salaries.Once you have the license and the driver CPC you can wotk anywhere you choose and when you like if youre agency.

Im sure van courier work suits some if you love driving your ass off all day but generally its the pits... light driving jobs ,just ike working for the post office before christmas will be easy to get...after christmas its welcome to the dead zone in most areas except possibly London/SE.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 03-12--2016 at 01:22 AM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Turning On
    C+E is good if you like driving on motorways and then being bored in some warehouses while waiting long hours to be loaded in the "driver's waiting area" that is a small room without windows with few plastic chairs and water cooler.

I would rather do C only and spend remaining money on some less common qualifications: ADR (dangerous goods), level D airfreight security (handy if you have some big airports nearby), HIAB (lorry mounted crane), lorry mounted fork lift etc.

That way you will get more interesting jobs, and often you can be paid better than a general haulage C+E driver.

Actually in the past I've been working as level D van driver (car licence would be sufficitent) for some time and my average pay was about the same as Eddie Stobart artic driver.

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    driving is a great way of life, if you dont want a social life,a lot of firms now do spot checks for drink and drugs and then they know what you been taking a few days before. but get at least a C1, van driving can be really shit and stoopid hours. there are various courses and grants available for class C

Heavenly Creature
    Anything over 3.5 ton you also need the Driver's CPC. This usually involves sitting in a classroom being told stuff you already know and being relieved of 100s every two years for all of your working life. This is on top of your driving qualification.

Urgh. This sounds a dreadful as I'd read. I was hoping other people were exaggerating. I don't think I've heard a nice thing said about driving these days.

I already drive a minibus as a volunteer, and could do a D1 so I could drive them for hire and reward.
    School trips and that jazz. Not looking for full-time, which is also a consideration.

No one local has CPC prices listed. Will have to make phone calls.

No overly keen on the motorway, find it boring. Waiting I can handle, Netflix and a cup of tea can solve a lot of issues.

Have applied for a car driving job via an agency. Hope that goes well.

Heavenly Creature
    How about Uber?

Considered that for a bit, but if memory serves they were being paid less than the minimum wage. Hardly worth getting out of bed for.

Might investigate tour guide. The people on my minibus have told me to be a tour driver haha.

but the rewards can be good, did a really shit job last week on nights, take home was 800 quid after tax

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by wandering gypsy
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    driving is a great way of life, if you dont want a social life,a lot of firms now do spot checks for drink and drugs and then they know what you been taking a few days before. but get at least a C1, van driving can be really shit and stoopid hours. there are various courses and grants available for class C
    I got my driving licence a long time ago and it includes C1. Reading this thread makes me wonder whether it could work for me as my current (unwaged) occupation is becoming less time consuming. I would prefer to work for myself, given the choice, which means owning the vehicle. If the enterprise goes pear shaped I then have somewhere to live!

brynhyffryd, go self employed at an agency and once your known, you can pick and choose your jobs and when
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

Heavenly Creature

brynhyffryd, go self employed at an agency and once your known, you can pick and choose your jobs and when
    As in drive their vehicles not mine? Might have a bit of a job on convincing them that the 45 years since my last driving job means nothing!

simples, dont tell them, but you would have to get a digi card for the tacho

Heavenly Creature

simples, dont tell them, but you would have to get a digi card for the tacho
    Cheers, do I need to enrol for CPC too?

not sure on that one, had mine for years

Heavenly Creature

not sure on that one, had mine for years
    Thanks, worth looking into.

I was told by a driving agency that a PCV licence was worth getting.

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    Cheers, do I need to enrol for CPC too?
    You wont get a hgv driving job without driver CPC its compulsory.and illegal to drive hire snd reward unless its subject to exemption...its all here

If you go on a CPC course youll get all the drivers hours snd digi tacho as part of the course.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    You wont get a hgv driving job without driver CPC its compulsory.and illegal to drive hire snd reward unless its subject to exemption...its all here

Yes, just found that, even if you have C1 on your licence you need CPC. Training agencies are rather coy about prices for the training, will phone one or two later.

The Uber route to driving for a living would be less expensive. Delivering food is another possibility. I like the idea of HGV because you can just do it without being micromanaged, which I detest, and I imagine the scenery is better than when delivering meat feast pizzas to drunks.

Insurance is a major cost in any of these endeavours. I think even courier insurance is now around 1500 a year. That would keep your nose to the wheel, anyway!

Have a look at Novadata it will give you some idea of the course costs of various modules

Course costs is one of the reasons i havent gone bsck to hgv driving...five dsy course is over 1000 in most trsining centres and has to be at an accredited trsining centre.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Fire-Tree
    I was told by a driving agency that a PCV licence was worth getting.
    Possibly. As for the lorry licence, having D1 (up to 16 passengers) on your licence seems to mean bugger all, you need this extra ticket too.

TBH when I used to drive a minibus when young I felt that I should have had some training, so maybe it is all for the good. And the licence fee probably helps poor old HMG, or at least keeps a few clerks in a job.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    Course costs is one of the reasons i havent gone bsck to hgv driving...five dsy course is over 1000 in most trsining centres and has to be at an accredited trsining centre.
    Have you considered crowd sponsorship, Nomadic?

I think theres a shortsge of pcv minibus drivers as a lot of older volunteer drivers got pushed out by new laws and insursnce costs for the employing charity.I know a couple of old guys who did hospital runs forced out of the jobs snd now sitting at home twiddling their fingers bored stiff.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree