THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Driving Jobs - which licence?

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I think theres a shortsge of pcv minibus drivers as a lot of older volunteer drivers got pushed out by new laws and insursnce costs for the employing charity.I know a couple of old guys who did hospital runs forced out of the jobs snd now sitting at home twiddling their fingers bored stiff.
    Yeah, there's an extra medical clause for oldies. Which would apply to me too. I know a couple of old codgers who drive hospital runs in their own cars just to avoid daytime TV, all for 40p a mile. Not my cup of tea.

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    Have you considered crowd sponsorship, Nomadic?
    no...ive been thinking about getting 3.5 ton psrt time van job ... i know the hgv money is really good on agency but i slso know i dfont wsnt to be doing 10 or 12 hours on a truck sgsin...Im more interested in just working a few hours a week here and there...p/t vsn job would give me thst option.Maybe if i earned enough id pay for cpc myself....if i had leccy to run laptop id be .looking for writing jobs again
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Yeah, there's an extra medical clause for oldies. Which would apply to me too. I know a couple of old codgers who drive hospital runs in their own cars just to avoid daytime TV, all for 40p a mile. Not my cup of tea.
    no 40p a mile wouldnt cover the wear n tear ... sod that.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    ...if i had leccy to run laptop id be .looking for writing jobs again
    Let's go OT then! How much leccy do you need? Why does it have to be a laptop, do you need Windows?

More than i have now lol...ive got non where i am only battery power.Ive got two windows laptops but theyre greedy on power.I dont have anything else but my phonel' im using .My laptops have siftwsre thst helpds with my dyslexia...thats why i need them.

Heavenly Creature
    You could prob. run your apps on a very low power device. Further details on request.

Or use the usual sort of solar setup to give you some extra wattage, I wonder how many Kw/H it takes to run a laptop (well, one of your laptops) for 12 hours?. Or a small dedicated genny.

Heavenly Creature
    The hypocrisy of the driver's CPC is you can do the same module three times and still qualify.

Its done nothing whatsoever to improve driving stsndsrds either...its just created a huge web of bureaucracy and a lucrative living for the few accredited driver training centres.

Heavenly Creature
    Exactly. The last two convicted killers who were so called professional drivers would both have had the Driver's CPC.

Tuning In
    3 times? I know guys who did the same module 5 times. They were working monday to friday, and the training company was doing one module each day of the week including saturdays. So they just did 5 saturdays. I guess there are most economical drivers in the UK now

I did the same module twice as well, for the same reason, could not be arsed to look for some other available slots

Tuning In
    I got a class 2 ,5 years ago it changed my life for the better good money easy work sittin on my arse all day with my friends radio 4 /5 live and lbc
    iv worked very hard for a lot less once your out of the yard in morning your almost your own boss if you like long hours good pay get a loan the intrest rates are low your soon pay it back.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by WREKAGE
    I got a class 2 ,5 years ago it changed my life for the better good money easy work sittin on my arse all day with my friends radio 4 /5 live and lbc
    iv worked very hard for a lot less once your out of the yard in morning your almost your own boss if you like long hours good pay get a loan the intrest rates are low your soon pay it back.
    Tks Wrekage, checking it out.

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    This would be so much easier if they put the bloody prices on the website.

If I trained, I'd have to go via the loan approach, as I couldn't manage being tied to a company for 5 years. Hadn't thought of that before, so thanks for the tip.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money

Right, I'm an HGV driver, have been for the last 27 years, so this info is either factual and correct, or my personal opinion, as stated.
    Fact. You need a CPC. 35 hours of 'training' every 5 years, in blocks (modules) of 7 hours. New regulations supposed to make you take 5 different modules per period.
    New learners get their CPC training as part of their driving training. Existing or returning drivers need to source their own training, or have it provided by their employer. Modules taken are classed as 'working time', and should be recorded as such. Driving without a valid CPC attracts large fines.
    Fact. There is no real driver shortage. There is a shortage of good, reliable drivers, but the market is full with mediocre drivers, willing to drive stupidly, for just about ( or even less than) minimum wage. New starters still struggle to get that first job to get started. Once you have some experience, it gets better. I ( as most drivers) can walk into most transport companies, and start tomorrow. But that does not happen overnight.
    Fact. Do not listen to/believe anything an agency tell you. Let me repeat that. DO NOT BELIEVE AGENCIES. Most are lying scumbags, only looking to profiteer of of you. They will promise the earth, and deliver little. They are a means of getting work, but if you do, get everything in writing g, get every job and start time confirmed by text, and double check every pay slip. Every payslip. Again. Every pay slip. And absolutely do not, ever, sign up other than paye. Self employed, NOVA, umbrella schemes, all rip offs to screw you. They don't pay your tax and NI, and charge you for it.
    Fact. Most transport companies don't care if you live in a van. Many will let you park in the yard ( my previous employer had a land line installed :-) ). There are quite a few drivers out there who live in vans during the working week, because good jobs may be to far to commute daily.
    Fact. Hourly pay is not fantastic, but 50+ hours a week (easy, most days will be between 10 and 13 hours) sees your weekly take home 350-500 easy.
    Opinion. It is the best job in the world. I get paid to sit on my behind, whilst watching the world go round.. (well, mostly :-D)
    It can be a ball ache, rude warehouse staff, shitty driver facilities, mind numbing boredom.

Any specific questions, just fire away.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, nomis, ursus, wandering gypsy

Transitvan, what are the chances of a company allowing me to take my dog to work with me?

Originally Posted by SamBuca87
    Transitvan, what are the chances of a company allowing me to take my dog to work with me?
    It depends on the company you work for. Normal policy states no hitchikers etc. But rarely would pets be mentioned unless they had previously been asked or had a problem. No harm in asking or just doing it. If you were in a accident and they claimed you were driving without due care and attention. You could loose your job and get the book thrown at you.

Word of advice. My first Alsatian was a rescue dog. A mechanic mate told me about one of their drivers, who had a 12 month old Alsatian pup that he could no longer handle. The dog kept biting people who got near the Lorry cab door. This dog went from home to truck cab daily. Odd bit if exercise when the Lorry stopped off at a foam manufacturing company. The firm stuck foam together to form sandwich layers. The floor of the factory was covered in glue and this Alsatian had glue between its toes from a early age. Could have ended up crippling the animal if he had continued to own it. You know your drop off points and your journey times. If you know your dog would be ok. Give it a go.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: SamBuca87

Cheers Alices, she's only a Pug x Chi and as good as gold but didn't know if most companies would frown upon the idea of having a dog in their vehicles.

How about Uber?
    Uber is a scam basically

Originally Posted by Bernie
    Uber is a scam basically
    how so?
    a lot of people from my old work used them and had only praise for them? i've never needed to use them so have no idea.

Originally Posted by groove
    how so?
    a lot of people from my old work used them and had only praise for them? i've never needed to use them so have no idea.
    On yes, They are very cheap but the drivers (in London) earn so little its not worth doing. People used to think they were wonderful but gradually the bad stories have come out. My son and his friends used to use them a lot but don't anymore.

Tuning In

Originally Posted by groove
    how so?
    The whole idea of Uber is based on so called "sharing economy". The "sharing" in that case means, that you will have to share profits from your work with some extremely rich company in some tax haven while taking all the business risk on yourself.

It is also based on breaking the law:

In Britain Uber is pretty civilised, as this country is too strong to fight with. Fortunately in British law there is a provision allowing companies like Uber to operate, so Uber drivers here have PHC licenses and they just pretty much standard Private Hire Cars with the difference that instead of booking them with taxi or minicab company, you book them via app provided by Uber. If you are associated with taxi company, you usually pay flat rate and everything you earn over the top of that is yours. In Uber you pay them flat 20% of every fare.

In other countries - like France or Poland for example - there is no such thing like Private Hire Cars. If you want to transport people for money, you'll need taxi license. Uber encourages drivers to join them, invoking some loopholes like "occassional transport" or "ride sharing". In Poland for example it argues, that Uber ride is not transporting people "for hire or reward", as customers don't pay a driver, but Uber (of course they ignore the fact, that Uber is paying the driver, so it's actually simply acts as middle man, and the driver is still paid to transport people). Uber promises that it will give all the assistance to drivers in case of any troubles with the law.

Unfrortunately, if the troubles arise, Uber washes their hands. There were several cases in Poland where drivers were stopped by equivalent of VOSA (or even blocked by taxi drivers who called Police) and when they face hefty fines for being, de facto, unlicensed taxis, Uber refuses to help them, pointing to the point in the contract which says that it's driver's duty to ensure that everything is legal.

So yes, it is a scam, and it is one of the worse ones. The whole Uber business model is based on using services of people who in most cases would have to break the law in order to be able to make any profit (as of course nobody prevents you to get a Taxi license and then offer your service as Uber driver to everyone, but if you had to pay all the insurances, extra MOT's, license fees and whatnot, then you would be unable to make ends meet if Uber was taking 20% of every fare customers pays for the service you provide.

Originally Posted by orys
    The whole idea of Uber is based on so called "sharing economy". The "sharing" in that case means, that you will have to share profits from your work with some extremely rich company in some tax haven while taking all the business risk on yourself.

It is also based on breaking the law:

In Britain Uber is pretty civilised, as this country is too strong to fight with. Fortunately in British law there is a provision allowing companies like Uber to operate, so Uber drivers here have PHC licenses and they just pretty much standard Private Hire Cars with the difference that instead of booking them with taxi or minicab company, you book them via app provided by Uber. If you are associated with taxi company, you usually pay flat rate and everything you earn over the top of that is yours. In Uber you pay them flat 20% of every fare.

In other countries - like France or Poland for example - there is no such thing like Private Hire Cars. If you want to transport people for money, you'll need taxi license. Uber encourages drivers to join them, invoking some loopholes like "occassional transport" or "ride sharing". In Poland for example it argues, that Uber ride is not transporting people "for hire or reward", as customers don't pay a driver, but Uber (of course they ignore the fact, that Uber is paying the driver, so it's actually simply acts as middle man, and the driver is still paid to transport people). Uber promises that it will give all the assistance to drivers in case of any troubles with the law.

Unfrortunately, if the troubles arise, Uber washes their hands. There were several cases in Poland where drivers were stopped by equivalent of VOSA (or even blocked by taxi drivers who called Police) and when they face hefty fines for being, de facto, unlicensed taxis, Uber refuses to help them, pointing to the point in the contract which says that it's driver's duty to ensure that everything is legal.

So yes, it is a scam, and it is one of the worse ones. The whole Uber business model is based on using services of people who in most cases would have to break the law in order to be able to make any profit (as of course nobody prevents you to get a Taxi license and then offer your service as Uber driver to everyone, but if you had to pay all the insurances, extra MOT's, license fees and whatnot, then you would be unable to make ends meet if Uber was taking 20% of every fare customers pays for the service you provide.

This is exactly right, in London the majority of Uber driver are either illegals who have to accept the deal because they have no choice or they are fiddling their benefits and again have no choice.

Because from the driver's point of view its only a phone app he subscribes to. You have no way of knowing that the driver and the car are actually the registered driver/vehicle or whether he has just lent his phone to a family member for the evening, which happens a lot. Its a very murky world

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    I was an owner-driver chauffeur for 5 years (posh minicabbing) and did normal cabbing for another year after that.

You can earn if you put the hours in, which basically means being around for both the rush hours (or doing night shifts at the weekend). I managed to run a nice car (mostly a Jag) - I did OK, had a couple of holidays a year and managed to sustain my flat in East London whilst also living with my girlfriend and helping with her bills -- the downside was a 12 hour day minimum and playing catch-up if I needed time off to get the car fixed.

Originally Posted by Paul
    I was an owner-driver chauffeur for 5 years (posh minicabbing) and did normal cabbing for another year after that.

You can earn if you put the hours in, which basically means being around for both the rush hours (or doing night shifts at the weekend). I managed to run a nice car (mostly a Jag) - I did OK, had a couple of holidays a year and managed to sustain my flat in East London whilst also living with my girlfriend and helping with her bills -- the downside was a 12 hour day minimum and playing catch-up if I needed time off to get the car fixed.
    You could do quite well back then but Uber has blown it out of the water. My son can get an Uber cab from central London to Ruislip at one in the morning for 30 and the driver gets 20% deducted by Uber so 24 to pay all your expenses.

He has stopped using them because, although they are cheap, the drivers are falling asleep at the wheel, drive like loonies and often have personal hygene issues.

A friend of mine works for Addison Lee and he says their work has nose dived since Uber came on the scene