THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

View Poll Results: What is your blood pressure?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • My blood pressure is too high. I have to warch my salt intake.

2 20.00%
  • My blood pressure is normal.

6 60.00%
  • I have blood pressure is low.

2 20.00%

Thread: Your blood pressure,

Your blood pressure,

What is your default blood pressure?
    We all lead different lives.

Heavenly Creature
    I don't know but l do know it's not high. I don't smoke and walk a lot though.

Heavenly Creature
    There's a link here about what is supposed to be your 'normal' blood pressure:
    http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/Blood...s/Whatisnormal
    But it does vary from person to person, and even from day to day or week to week, to some extent.

I was checked and found to have a higher than normal pressure by a nurse, so had to go in again a couple weeks later to be checked by a doctor. He found me to be completely normal, and asked me what might have caused the difference; had I been taking anything, been stressed, etc, back then?
    I said I didn't find him as attractive as the nurse, and we had a bit of a laugh about it. So it can vary quite a bit.
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child, ma bungo, milly

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    I've always suffered with low blood pressure. I almost ruined my friends fitness instructor exam because mine was very low on the day despite feeling fine.
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Very low, probably due to diet. Apparently in the past doctors would prescribe you something, now they just tell you to eat as much salt as you like which is fine with me.

Didn't someone on another thread say that low blood pressure caused irritability?

Quote Originally Posted by FriedOnion View Post
    Very low, probably due to diet. Apparently in the past doctors would prescribe you something, now they just tell you to eat as much salt as you like which is fine with me.

Didn't someone on another thread say that low blood pressure caused irritability?
    That was me.
    We all lead different lives.

I've just had an MOT at the doc's and mine is normal.

Always been ok on blood pressure until my last visit to the docs last week. I was asked if a 'student' could look at me under the supervision of a doc with the proposed benefit of it being a more in depth consultation. Anyway, went in got buzzed to go to Room 13 and met a young female doc. Got poked, prodded, loads of questions and when the supervising doc turned up they had a long winded chat using terms I didn't have a bloody clue about then told me I had possible COPD and possible high blood pressure (folks get anxious at the docs so they couldn't say yes straight off) and a couple of other minor things.

Result, I'm testing myself twice a day on a machine which says I'm fckd and trying to eat better to get the scores down or else I'm on meds for it for life.
    Not all who wander are lost

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Problem with taking blood pressure is the act of taking it can put it right up . I supposedly have high blood pressure , I usually score 170/100 on first test ,but it drops to 140/85 after about 5 attempts . Just the noise of the machine makes me feel anxious, and waiting at the docs has same effect .I am on meds to be on the safe side, I accidently took my dose twice and and a couple of hours later my BP was 90/60 and I could barley stand up .

I'm showing average 160 / 100, one of the figures isn't supposed to count tho unless I read it wrong. I did ask if there was a replacement machine just in case what they gave me was faulty but got told no.

I could barley stand up .
    I just blame that on my cider
    Not all who wander are lost

Ma Your blood pressure will vary all the time.You should sit down for 10 mins and relax before tsking.it and take meaurements a few times at different times of the dsy to get a reliable baseline.

A normal young adult blood pressure would be around 120/60 .therefore as a very rough guide your systolic figure (top figure) might be 90 plus your sge ie 50 yr old should be 140/ ?.
    The diastolic (bottom.figure) in the rsnge 60 to 90 would be considered normal,a diastolic (bottom.figure )consistently over 100 would be a concern and higher considered potentially dsngerous.

Ideally a 50 year.old might have a BP of 140/70 for example but it could be lower or slightly higher snd still be in normal age rsnge.
    Everyone is different,it depends on how fit you are, how much execise you do, what you eat,what you drink, how you deal with stress,whether youre diabetic,whether you have a genetic or hereditary disposition to high or low blood pressure,Your sverage hesrt rate,whether you have any heart lung or kidney or hormonal issues etc
    Thats why its important to get a baseline at rest BP for YOU over a period of time and compare it with the expected for your sge group to estsblish whether you need treatment for it via diet exercise or drugs.

Ive alwayss been very fit when younger and my BP was always 100/55 when in my 20's and did not vary much.Im 56 now and its normally 120/70 or 130/75 thats normal for me but lower than the sversge for my age..Ive also hsd an extremely slow at rest hesrt rste (35 to 38 ) (should be 60 to 80 )all my life which is normsl for me but some dictors get pretty alarmed until they know my medical history.

One of my friends age 55 her BP is normally 90/60 or 100/60 and slwsys has been and she feels fine whereas you dont..its normal for her but not for you. but in the majority of the populatiin a BP that low would start to be a concern if the person felt unwell with it.

Similarly.high BP above the normal age rsnge should be investigated.BP over 150/90 for instance might be of concern but consistently that high or higher at rest needs urgent medicsl review snd/or treatment as the risks of heart problems kidney damage stroke eye problems etc. increase... a BP of 200/110 is a serious dangerous problem and ive seen higher in patients ive attended to snd should never be ignored.
    I dont know how often you tske it but if you make a habit of doing it every day 2 or 3 times a day you should get more used to it and less anxious -in theory- and will give you a good ides of your expected normsl rsnge for you
    You should also take your BP varying which arm you use as readings sre often slightly different.Its also importsnt to completely relax your arm as muscle movement of any kind can distort the readings.As can having hsd a drink or cigarette some time before doing your blood pressure.
    Hope that helps....as slwsys,consult your GP if your BP is above or below whsts normal for you over a period of time.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 11-12--2016 at 12:29 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo, Wulfie

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Unfortunatly ,the BP test machine I have stops pumping when it reaches 170 then starts to drop , but if my blood pressure is high ,the pump kicks in again and pumps up to about 190. The first few tests , I always get the pump kicking in as the noise of the pump affects me .
    I do have 'super ' white coat syndrome' so they do not bother to test me at the docs anymore , and they let me bring my own blood sample in , as I get so freaked out having to see the nurse .
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Wulfie

Im pretty sure home BP machines are set to avoid inflsting cuffs too high and causing severe pain.Theyvshould cease inflating when it stops detecting a pulse in the cuff so making sure the cuff is on your arm correctly is important and helps.Most people get anxious about doctors and having BP taken...youre not alone with the white coat syndrome.One of.my frirnds gets so scsred she has psnic attsck and faints at the docs.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 11-12--2016 at 12:55 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

when it was once thought I may have had a heart attack they gave me the standard blood pressure tablets and managed to get mine low enough to set off the alarms on the hospital blood pressure machines apparently 40/80 causes their blood pressure machines to panic, however although it did leave me a bit faint if I stood up too quickly, it didnt stop me doing most things (carefully)
    We perform the impossible every day - Miracles take a little longer.