THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Electronically generated music

Electronically generated music

This may go against the grain but ive always been a bit of an individualist.

One of the reasons I dissociated myself from the 'hippy' movement back in the 90s was when I came upon this question:
    Why is this movement of supposedly nature-loving hippies now entirely dependant on computer-generated music and campaigning for the God-given right to plant a 20k sound system in the middle of the peaceful English countryside ?

Discuss.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ayami, Danann, NomadicRT

Hippy culture has becime absorbed into and (mis)appropriated by the mainstream culture ? Its not just music its cultursl attitudes....not much about the current hippy movement represents what it was back in the 60's/70's/80's ...which is a huge disappiontment ...life goes on regsrdless
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 06-12--2016 at 10:45 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

Hippy isn't about the music you listen to, or how you like to party (if you like to party at all).

Being a hippy doesn't stop me following some fashion aspects of the mainstream.

I was brought up with the first ever totally electronic album (Switched on Bach by Walter (later Wendy) Carlos). I've been into electronic music all my life, never wondered whether it was hippy enough...

Who cares? Let people be people, let them do what they want without questioning how they, or society labels them... I call myself a hippy, don't give a shit what anyone else thinks..
    The following users think this post is groovy: GivingItThought

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    The rave scene and hippy scene are not the same thing in my eyes !

I have enjoyed a bit of both,though will always view them apart,even if you may get a hippy or two at a rave and on a rare ocassion a raver at a hippy event.

If raves are now full of nature loving hippies,then I for one shall be searching out a sound system when next in the uk
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

I didnt ssy it was about the music.and the OP didnt specifically refer to electronic music. .Hippy culture was pretty bohemian and.often rejecting mainstresm thouhh...all i said is its become more.like msinstream now theres no real difference or anything defining hippy culture...i dont think there is one anymore..not thst it matters...fashions and attitudes change thats how life is.

Yes he did... he used the phrase "computer-generated music"... re-read his post!

I dont think.he mesnt as a genre of music per se ..maybe he'll elaborate

That's pretty specific... as opposed to massively amplified music which he also alluded to with "20k sound system"

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I go to a hippy gathering, I'm looking for the tribe that rejects industrial society and all its trappings, and seeks to live in harmony with nature.

When I speak to these people, they confirm these beliefs.

But when it's party time, they play electronically generated trance etc.

Personally speaking, I am an entirely music-orientated person. I judge people by their music, a society by its culture.
    I thought I'd throw this out there to see what others feel.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rusty Surfer

So you walk or travel on horseback to these gatherings? To do otherwise is to engage with industrial society....

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Diddekoi
    Personally speaking, I am an entirely music-orientated person. I judge people by their music...
    So how do you judge people by their music?

Originally Posted by realnutter
    So you walk or travel on horseback to these gatherings? To do otherwise is to engage with industrial society....
    I expected someone to say something like that.
    Of course I'd love to go horse-drawn.
    Wouldn't you?

No, not really... I'm not one to deny human progress, and not one to turn down its benefits...

I will however try to be sensible with my use of those benefits.... I don't think you'll find many here who disagree with me...

I don't think you'll find many here who disagree with me...
    Another classic quote.

Do you want to support industrial society? I do believe there is a section here on environment. Obviously we desire the most organic lifestyle possible. I actually consider horse-drawn transport to be progress.

And do you think, as the dusk settles over the valley, the owl in the tree, the fox in his den, that we should blast random electronic sounds across the countryside until the mist disappears into the next county?
    Last edited by Diddekoi; 07-12--2016 at 01:19 AM.

And before this gets messy, do you think we could remain on the original subject which really centred on what has happened to the original goals and ethics of the so-called hippy movement and why we're listening to computers in the woods..?

The last thing I want is for this to get messy..... The next to last thing I want is to regress to the 10th century.....

I won't hold it against you if you hate me for embracing mankind's phenomenal development over the last 10 centuries... I wont hold it against you if you live in a horse drawn caravan and meander this lovely island's byways....

But when you use the phrase "I'm looking for the tribe that rejects industrial society" on an internet forum, powered by all that the industrial society has to offer, then yes, sorry... I'm going to hold that against you...
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child, ma bungo

The last thing I want is for this to get messy..... The next to last thing I want is to regress to the 10th century.....

I won't hold it against you if you hate me for embracing mankind's phenomenal development over the last 10 centuries... I wont hold it against you if you live in a horse drawn caravan and meander this lovely island's byways....

But when you use the phrase "I'm looking for the tribe that rejects industrial society" on an internet forum, powered by all that the industrial society has to offer, then yes, sorry... I'm going to hold that against you...
    Ha ha,hey Diddekoi you have got to agree that a valid point has been made there !!!

Every summer when I visit my woods in Brittany I hear small raves going on around me and even if I am not in the mood I still accept them and prefer to think of a few people dancing happily in the countryside to them all getting pissed together in town.

A little tolerence will go a long way towards making society better for all as it breeds respect.

There have been times where lots of us on here will have been chilling out somewhere and a drumming circle or bunch of musicians with djembi's have spoiled the tranquility and they are not electronic.

There is not a great deal of space left in the developed world so we all need to make efforts to share it with others,and part of those others are noisemakers.
    I love tranquility and serenity and make the effort to go and find it,as where we are in the world now,it will not just come to us.

I am writing this message in my van outside a friends house in Brittany with the door open and the wind is in the wrong direction and I can loudly hear the cars on the dual carriageway half a mile away.
    If I am to knock that noise then to validate and purify my opinion I will have to throw away my computer, my clothes and possessions to stop me from being a hypocrite!!

Ok, Nutter, your language is a bit too, how shall I say, 'animated' for my level of discussion, so I don't want to answer your accusations of hipocrisy.

Although I will point out that we are both on an Internet forum that talks about living off grid and 'outside the system', and is of course only accessible with the help of
    American and Japanese technology corporations;
    Big international wars to obtain the oil to make the plastic to make the computers.

Let's not talk about that. I'm a musician and this thread is about music.
    And hypocrisy.
    Last edited by Diddekoi; 07-12--2016 at 09:40 AM.

What I mean to say is, we are all forced into hypocritical positions by modern society. It is almost impossible to live without cars and computers. I have always had an issue with the amount of motor vehicles on site.
    Yet no one is forcing our choice of music.

What we know as festivals were originally set up as experiments in alternative living where it is shown that it is possible to live peacefully with minimal impact.

On the point of tolerance of other people, that's my point as well. I find myself forced to listen to banging noise all over the site, often accompanied with laser light shows etc. A temple to technology!

And yet festival culture seems pervaded with talk about nature and mysticism. So yes, I call hypocrisy.

There are two obvious choices in a case like yours.

1. Live somewhere that you can enjoy the things that you enjoy and avoid the things that you dislike

2. Accept what is around you and try to find out whats positive about it and enjoy it.

I have a great collection of music that varies from very slow classical,celtic and world music going through blues rock-reggae-jazz-etc etc upto some nice uplifting psytrance.

Just about everything in my collection of thousands and thousands of albums from all around the globe is of a very good quality on both production and musical levels and is mostly all of a non attitudy and an uplifting nature.

I also have a small few hundred watt amplified speaker and virtual dj on my computer and can play music to most people in most situations if need be. As I have relaxed more in life,I tend to listen more to the more relaxed music,but it is nice every now and then to let down my hair and have a bit of a party with the right people and have a good dance.

I am quite sure that if you were to scrutinize my music collection that you would find that connection between it all and get a good idea of who I am from it.
    I too often get a damn good idea on who someone is from their music,though I do not bank on it being always true as it is not a definate science,even if it is often bang on.

You have possibily one shot at this life,so put yourself into a place where your happiness becomes a constant

Leaving aside the origins in the mists of time, the hippy/festival movement flowered in the 60s/70s with folk music, followed by rock music. The best rock of the period was still very beautiful.

Then came the punk period. In the 80s I couldn't get away from punk.

Then came the rave period. In the 90s, I actually believed, along with many people, that it was the music of a golden Aquarian dawn, with tribal rhythms!

Having dipped my toe back in the traveller/festival scenes, I notice that the ravers have gone but the hippies are stuck in the rave period.
    Last edited by Diddekoi; 07-12--2016 at 07:12 PM.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Diddekoi
    Leaving aside the origins in the mists of time, the hippy/festival movement flowered in the 60s/70s with folk music, followed by rock music. The best rock of the period was still very beautiful...
    I would agree with that, having lived through it. I think we tend to feel best about the music we grew up with in our teens, and developed with in our twenties, than about that which came before, or that which came after, as a generally thing. Perhaps not so much if we are musicians, because then we may have more appreciation of music from any era that is technically well written and well performed.
    I find it hard to appreciate most forms of computer-generated music, unless it's used for something like a SF film. Perhaps the human soul of the musician is missing from the music?
    But each to his/her own; those who grow up with computer-generated music may be fond of it for just that reason; they have become habituated to it?

I am taken back to the time when Dylan played electric guitar to his loyal followers and a similar reaction pursued.
    Should Dylan listen to those who spoke about hippy roots and put down that electric guitar? Undoubtedly he could have entertained an appreciative audience forevermore.

If I look back at the early painted buses that headed out of the big cities into the desert, with distorted sounds blasted from the bus & acid fuelled hipsters gyrating in the sand. Could I honestly say that all these electronic forms of entertainment were not part of the hippy enlightenment ?

My early memories at Stonehenge was of a traveling PA system, set up under a tarp. Strung between two trucks. Those guys knew how to kill a good tune.

There's nothing more enjoyable for me music wise, than me picking up an old fiddle or one of my many Bodhrans and jamming away with a group of friends.

In the late 1980's the hippy purests amongst my peers would argue tirelessly, about the worth of analog over digital. Vinyl over CD. Neither is wrong!

In a way the Rave scene and the drugs that came from it, came 20years too late.

Don't box yourself in by excluding what you think shouldn't be, take yourself to where you think you need to be.

This year I went to the Buddhafields (festival) the first drug free festival I've every attended. It was nice to walk amongst a different kind of high.