THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Life insurace.

Life insurace.

Is it an anathema to feminism? It predicated on the idea that no woman can make a living for herself.
    We all lead different lives.

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    I thought the idea was based on compensating for the loss of an income of one partner or another regardless of gender. Given that more and more households need two salaries to maintain what is recognisable as a 'normal' lifestyle I'm sort of lost to the feminism part? I thought it was a financial product whereby you were free to contract or not contract. I'm not dissing the point of view or the question to provoke the thought it's just you don't go on to explain.
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.

I dont understand the statement(or relevance of it) from.my uk.perpective..All.of my female friends have life/critical.illness insurance,whether married single employed or running their own business (which 3 of my female friends do very successfully -one is multi-million£ turnover company and part of a circle of wealthy successful female business owners).They have at least equal cover and products to those for men i know.
    I dont see 'the idea that no woman can make a living for herself' coming through anywhere.l so im puzzled... Maybe financial products/attitudes to women are different in Australia ? Happy to be enlightened on the subject so i can discuss with my femsle friends.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, marshlander

I will be meeting & marrying & insuring a wealthy husband.
    I don't do feminism
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm gonna be rich
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

I will cook nice dinners though & do his washing & ironing & have sex & all that.

It's a fair deal!

Originally Posted by Roamer
    I will be meeting & marrying & insuring a wealthy husband.
    I don't do feminism

I'm gonna be rich
    Is Paul wealthy?

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    When I was married my wife and I took out life insurance policies at the same time. The salesman explained that she needed insurance cover in case anything happened to her. Would I be have been able to have afforded to take on her tasks (or get someone else to cover them) as well as my own? As it turned out, not terribly useful, but just another Brit's point of view.

Heavenly Creature
    For a lot of folks who aren't at all wealthy, so-called 'life insurance' is really just death insurance to cover funeral expenses. The first thing the undertaker will ask, if the deceased was not already in a funeral plan, is: 'Did he have life insurance?'

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    Is Paul wealthy?
    I doubt it very much
    i know what the site is worth

I was told of this married couple where the man had a life insurance policy. When he reached 65 that was it , the end of the policy, no cash payout. I am not sure if they ever had a mortgage and kids but they would have been finished with both years before. Even if this was ever the case they would have been better off paying the mortgage off quicker.After paying off the mortgage, there would have been better things to do with their money than life insurance.

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar

Originally Posted by Duckman
    I was told of this married couple where the man had a life insurance policy. When he reached 65 that was it , the end of the policy, no cash payout. ...
    There was a lot of it about. I used to have one of those.

My husband has life insurance but I don't.I'm actually quite sceptical re insurance policies,as they usually have some stupid clause in them which prevents you from making a legit claim.Hope I'm wrong,as my husband pays a fair bit towards it each month,and I'd hate to think he's wasting his money.

Comminsure refused a death insurance claim.
    Last edited by Duckman; 11-12--2016 at 01:55 AM.

Originally Posted by Cobra
    My husband has life insurance but I don't.I'm actually quite sceptical re insurance policies,as they usually have some stupid clause in them which prevents you from making a legit claim.Hope I'm wrong,as my husband pays a fair bit towards it each month,and I'd hate to think he's wasting his money.
    I don't know your particular circumstances. Do you have a mortgage and kids? If so is there much equity in the property?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Nope no mortgage,we rent as we may possibly return to Oz at some point in time.We do have substantial savings though.I have 3 kids,husband has none.(I've been married twice,still married to 2nd husband)

Originally Posted by Duckman
    Comminsure refused a death insurance claim.
    See?Thats awful for that ladies family.They even had proof it was accidental,but the insurance company still refused to pay.I'm going to check my husbands policy,because it probably just covers death by injury (god forbid)not probably by "natural"causes and that,in all honesty could cover a myriad of things right?

Originally Posted by Cobra
    Nope no mortgage,we rent as we may possibly return to Oz at some point in time.We do have substantial savings though.I have 3 kids,husband has none.(I've been married twice,still married to 2nd husband)
    Is it a policy with a savings element or just pure life insurance?