THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: What to do with Dogs while working

What to do with Dogs while working

For 6 years my girl has been in the car, truck or yard with me at work . always had an hour b4 7.30 30 mins at 10 and 1pm long walk when finish 4ish

Always in the shade and even thro melting heat waves i made sure temputure in car was 22 max, breeze ,water ,shade ,glass coverd
    i got another pup boy(another post soon) to keep her company
    the car got small ,dirty, hot ,quick, so i fenced a bit of the field up fitted a dog flap and started leaving them at home from 7 till 4 .45 with walks b4 and after

Long winded a?

I feel a dog should always be with you
    but have had few bussybods saying im cruel to have them in car

Any opinions ?

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Scaff
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ... have had few bussybods saying im cruel to have them in car
    Any opinions ?
    Surely you mean "any opinions, as long as you agree with me, or your'e a bussybod"?

I really don't know the answer. Ours gets a bit mad when she is released from the car after a long journey or parked up for hours, but it doesn't seem to have ruined her life.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Ive had dogs almost my entire life and theyve never been left alone every dsy all dsy..Either ive been with them,my partners or family have or theyve gone to work with me on rare occasions.
    I dont see the point in having a dog or dogs if theyre on their own sll day and then alone all night when.owners are sleeping,their lives a short enough without being deprived of interaction with owners all dsy for dsy after dsy after day.
    Thats alwsys be my view..if 'you' csnt spend the time with the dog dont hsve one.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Busy bods to me are people who go looking for things to get involved in that dont concern them

I welcome all views and ideas that move forward thinking

If my cars in shade, windows open ,water in view with a theometer showing a very cool 18 on a 30 c day and 2 very calm dogs.

Should i be threatned with the rpca?

Apart from my best m8s, My dogs are to let me know when people are near the truck or right now my door ,
    they not big mean dogs many cats have had a go back

thing is now im on a site one locaation , so no more truck driving round stopping at houses for tea biscuits and strokes
    Its like a real job, same day everyday
    I do have a big heart for my dogs they are Never alone home for more than 1 day either with ,me, ex or a close friend

They eat steak when they catch someone

But peolpe only see the time you cross paths .
    not my 5.55 till 7 am walks or my full day at work that most cant do
    before a good long stomp throw the woods

Iv not been in long the dogs sleeping but my days not over

Heavenly Creature

But peolpe only see the time you cross paths .
    not my 5.55 till 7 am walks or my full day at work that most cant do
    before a good long stomp throw the woods
    Thing about dogs is they love order and routine. i bet yours let you know if you lie in!

Yer Dog flaps are great.
    Every sunday morning im woken by the sound of 2 trying to fit thro door together
    10 mins later same noise and they on my bed
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

I wasnt having a dig at you personally its just my opinion...i value animals.more than i do most people.Theyre consistently loyal and loving...people are not ..many are twats for no better reason than because they can be.

I think most 'busybodys' are motivated by other motives like spite rather than genuine concern for an animal...mostly because they dont like something about the owner so they choose a passive aggressive approach and cause trouble over your animals or whatever else they can stir up.
    So long as animals are looked after responsibly theres not much anyone can do,its just better not to give anyone who might be the local busybody -or someone at your work- any opportunity to cause you trouble.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

No digs taken
    Straight Over my head
    Its half day Friday

If im at work the dog stays at home with the missus, if shes at work as well he lays on the bed or settee and waits for one of us. Hes with someone a lot more than hes on his own, when i worked different shifts we didnt get a dog as we felt it was unfair to leave one all day.
    Ty sleeps with us, he sits on the settee with us - my view is hes part of the family. Some people say im an idiot for having him on settee and on/in the bed, i say fuckem...

As Nomadic said, i think more of my animals than i do other people, the missus excepted.

Anyway, to your question. So long as the car is shaded and cool, they have water and they arent distressed i dont see the problem. The rspca might though, although id rather them take an interest than ignore something but perhaps a suggestion. If you get a thermometer with remote display and alarm you could monitor the temperature in the car which may keep any concerned parties happy.

It was easier when had the family at home could work longer rest longer earn more
    but one thing changes you find yourself alone with your dog ..... happy

And i roll about on the floor playing like im a dog with mine

What do the trainners say about that behavour! .?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69, Sootyfoot

And i roll about on the floor playing like im a dog with mine

What do the trainners say about that behavour! .?
    So do I, who cares what they say - makes him happy. And me.

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    As I work outdoors,cockney gets to spend time with me at work in the gardens of my clients sometimes.

He will get a few miles walk before work and then if he has to stay in the van he will get a few minutes in the middle of the day for a wee,but apart from that he is happy to spend the day at home in the van which I will always place in the shade.

If I get a job offer working in the south where it is hot and there is not a cool spot to leave the van,I will not accept the job as his health and happiness are of huge importance.

I may occassionaly get a job in a spot where I am not comfortable leaving my van for the day,so am happy to leave cockney at home on security detail as long as he can keep cool. With All the windows and skylight open a bit and the van being well insulated it is quite comfortable in the van when it is upto the early 30'S. Above 35,this is not an option.

Oh yeah,there is always a bowl of water there which I refresh every time I need to get tools from the van or quite often if not.

Your pets comfort should be as important (if not more) than your own
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by itinerant child
    I may occassionaly get a job in a spot where I am not comfortable leaving my van for the day,so am happy to leave cockney at home on security detail as long as he can keep cool. With All the windows and skylight open a bit and the van being well insulated it is quite comfortable in the van when it is upto the early 30'S. Above 35,this is not an option.
    By the same token, they need to be wrapped up in freezing weather.

Heavenly Creature
    It's far easier for dogs to stay warm than to get cool. I doubt you would hear of a dog dying of the cold in the day in the UK in a van.

On cold days last week . My little one is sick so hes got a jumper out of an old sleeve and a hottie bottle in the blankets.
    Not enough fat to keep warm unless sleeping or running
    The old girl is hardy and will break ice to have a swim

Had half day today home by 3
    sofa everywhere bedroom door open
    so they had fun today
    need to set up a camera

Cockneys a great name

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    It's far easier for dogs to stay warm than to get cool. I doubt you would hear of a dog dying of the cold in the day in the UK in a van.
    Hypothermia is never easy!

I would love to own a dog,but as we're both working full time atm,its not an option.I'm wondering what the issue is with the other people not minding their own business?You've mentioned you take them for regular walks,have got the dog flap door thing,so they have access outside.However.....if they do have access outside,why are you monitoring the temp of the inside of your vehicle?Surely you would'nt need to do this if they can escape the summer heat?
    Busy bodies?Well I guess I am one of those people.If I saw a dog locked in a car,with little/no ventilation,especially in warmer weather,I'd have no hesitation in ringing the RSPCA or police to intervene.I would'nt give a rat's arse either if that dog had only been left for 5 mins either.Going on abit of a rant now,but I recall watching a show last summer,about authorities being called (different cases around the UK)because dog owners had left their pets inside a car,whilst shopping or whatever.Most were saved,others had already perished.I think dog owners need to ask themselves this question (Not aiming this at you OP,just generalising here) "Would I be comfortable wearing a fur coat on a hot day,inside a car with little to no ventilation,and no water to drink either for an unspecified time"?Dogs overheat very easily.I used to own a short haired dog,and in winter,it would hog the woodburner,but only briefly because he would end up moving,and panting so obviously was overheating himself.He would usually head for the cold kitchen floor to cool himself down.He also had the freedom to go anywhere in our house,access to the back garden because I was home all day.So its not just in summer we need to be careful.

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    I had some kind hearted idiot banging on to me that I left my dog in the van on a hot day and was going to call the cops. I dragged them up the step into the van to show them that it was cool inside,unfortunately that action had them sweating their nads off !!

Do not call the rspca if you see a dod in a camper-live in van as it may be perfectly comfortable. If all the windows are closed and you see it is suffering then do break a window away from the animal and tell the cops that I told you to do so!
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)

Cobra
    The dog flap is in the front door of what i call home.
    a chalet shed building within in 5 acres of sheep fields

Even with all that space i still feel the need to walk my dogs and socailise them in towns parks etc which envolves using the car to walk the dogs . Maddness.

When i got the older 1 i could take her everywhere with me.
    my firm my rules
    My attiude was u dont like my dog your not getting scaffold for your leaky roof
    Thing is i earn twice employed than i could by myself (cost of gear employing men and trucks)

They have a job which is purposefull and rewarding not just a pet as status they are equal.

So now they at home ON HOT DAYS and its my guilt that started this thread

If no use for your dog? Hard to keep ?
    get rid! NO

when i see dogs in a car in hot direct sunshine or not i do look to see if has water and air.
    If at work to chat about how they cope with it

If a dog looked badley treated i would want to speak to the owner

i would observer from a distance so not to stress the dog

Not wait there and stress the dog with people and uniforms

Now if you saw
    dogs in car parked in shade with windows down and covered. Water and a themometre showing 18 c cooler than the 30 day.

Dogs chilled

Would you feel they in harms way?

Also its 2 hrs max work hard. teas break early
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd