THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Standing stones, your experiences?

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar

Standing stones, your experiences?

Reading the other thread about Stonehenge, got me thinking; mostly about how other people react to specific sites. The reason for this is because I have visited many different stone circles, and had very different feelings towards them.

Stonehenge, for instance; I was actually indifferent to, which was unexpected. I felt nothing at all at the site. A couple of local (well, Lake District sites), always feel very friendly to me, but in different ways. Castlerigg is awesome, makes me fell as though I belong, although to what I could not answer. Long Meg and her Daughters, is a much gentler feel. It feels as though I have to travel a maze to get to it - although there is no maze that I am aware of. It also feels (to me) very tuned into Beltane.

The one which surprised me most though, was Callanish on Lewis, the Outer Hebrides.

I read about Callanish when I was a child, and immediately it took my fancy and I wanted to go there. I had to wait a very long time, until about 15 years ago when my sister paid for her and myself to go to Lewis for the Midsummer, and we could visit the stones.

To say I was excited is an understatement. Lewis itself has a place in my heart which I don't really understand (it was my first time to visit there, too). When we arrived on the island and got to the croft she had rented for us, she wanted to head straight for the stones, though suddenly I felt reluctant. Instead we went the next day, and she went straight in, saying hello to all the stones, hugging and touching them. Me though, as I got closer I got a feeling of dread, and could not actually enter the circle, which stank of blood to me. The stones themselves looked like fangs to me, and I ended up backing away and left her to it. I never went back during my time on the island.

There were other, smaller circles about; I did not even look them up, although my sister did. I spent my time instead looking for otters and wild flowers. I still love Lewis and would go back any time, but it's megaliths? Nope, I'll stay well clear.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    That's strange Maggie, I loved the Callanish stones and went there several times, better when the moonlight is on them
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weird, isn't it, Uncle J? I found it so distressing that I didn't even pick up a piece of the local rock as a souvenir. Lewisian Gneiss is the oldest rock in Britain; and among the oldest in the world and I do love my minerals.

I can only guess that it isn't my first time there, except in this lifetime; and that I have witnessed or been involved in something pretty awful in a past life.

Heavenly Creature
    That could well be the reason, I actually felt wonderful when in the middle of the stones, maybe I was your executioner in a previous life? Sorry
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow

The Rollrights on the Oxfordshire / Warwickshire border always seemed to give off an interesting vibe. Although I have only ever visited them at night so that may have added to the experience.
    Also not far away is Long Compton which has an interesting history of witchcraft.

I found Avebury to be most impressive, as was the mysterious Silbury hill nearby. I could just stand in awe and look at it.
    Any resemblance to actual persons living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, parrotandcrow, Wulfie

Heavenly Creature
    Yes, you maybe loved the island itself because you had happy association with it for a lifetime or two, which ended in some awful event at the stones.
    I have come across things like this happening to people several times, one or two of them involving me personally, and I can now regard the idea of reincarnation as being a valid possibility.
    There is the puzzling thing of how some people are very strongly attracted to particular periods of history, not necessarily of their own country, and others are not. Some periods of history hold dread for some people, yet we are here living now, and there seems no logical reason for this.
    As a kid I seemed to instinctively dislike churches; and the 'higher' and more grandiose, the more my dislike. Not the church people so much, more the buildings, and the doctrine they taught, and the whole priestly palaver. When I read, at six or seven years old, the dreadful 'tracts' brought into school by a rabid churchman who acted as our religious instructor, I felt only fear and a sense that something in the system was terribly wrong with us still being taught such stuff. Yet few of my schoolmates seemed to notice anything out of the ordinary. I felt I had come into a time that was still chained, out of somewhere that was not.

Heavenly Creature
    [QUOTE=Ecobob;1525883]The Rollrights on the Oxfordshire / Warwickshire border always seemed to give off an interesting vibe. Although I have only ever visited them at night so that may have added to the experience.
    Also not far away is Long Compton which has an interesting history of witchcraft.

I found Avebury to be most impressive, as was the mysterious Silbury hill nearby. I could just stand in awe and look at it.QUOTE]

We quite like the Rollrights too. Even on a winter's afternoon there are sometimes gentle ones there, feeling the stones and communing with them, which seems to increase the pleasant vibe about the place. Almost a sanctuary atmosphere.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, parrotandcrow, Uncle jhad, wandering gypsy

I've never been to the Rollrights, though they are on my list to visit. We have lots up here I still haven't been to say hello to.

Oldkeith, I never fancied the thought of reincarnation, but I have no doubts these days about it. I wonder when and where you came from, to be here in this chained time? I suppose that although we experience time as linear, on this earth and in this body; we can manifest here from any time or place that has ever been or will be.

Uncle J, I'll forgive you but don't do it again, eh?

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    been to the rollrights a couple of times, yeah very peaceful and relaxed atmosphere, unlike arbor low, stopped there a few nights ago, was glad to leave, me no like that place
    Last edited by wandering gypsy; 09-12--2016 at 04:23 PM.

I haven't been to the Rollrights for years although strangely a year or so ago I felt an urge to go there, so perhaps on my next Oxford visit I should divert that way.
    Any resemblance to actual persons living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental

Heavenly Creature
    At Arbour Low I feel nothing at all, maybe not part of this souls journey. At Doll Tor I feel totally different, love it there, yet its in the same area (Doll Tor has fairies and unicorns)

Mitchells Fold just above Church Stoke, not much left there, has a lost feeling to it but the place I feel best at is Arthurs Stone by Hay. It's a grave but just has a special feel about it.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Ecobob, parrotandcrow

Rollright are "my stones",as people have said they felt nowt or different at various spots..my 1st time at rollright i felt prickly fuzzy feeling all over,very nice..then Avebury and stone henge nothing!xx

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    Stonehenge on your own on a winter night can have a bit of power to it,though maybe half the buzz comes from hiding from the security bloke !!

Harry probably knows this one. one of my favourite stone circles in days of old was the one between bodmin moor and dartmoor next to the village of minions. I think it was called the hurlers !!
    Always used to get quite a spiritual vibe there

Spending a lot of time in Brittany now,I get to visit a lot of rows of standing stones such as carnac quite often,but very few have the circle vibe for me !

There are some individual stones over here though that do feel very powerful as some of the old burial sites do,but I personally always felt a better vibe in a circle.

Horses for courses eh !!
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow, wandering gypsy

I've been to a few circles, Stonehenge, Avebury and some smaller ones... Never really got a feeling from any of them...

I went to Uffington castle on a misty autumn day, and really felt something amazing.. like the place was still inhabited.. I could picture the camp fires and almost smell their smoke. I got a real feeling for how the place might have been in the iron ages.... bustling with people and animals...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, parrotandcrow

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by realnutter
    I've been to a few circles, Stonehenge, Avebury and some smaller ones... Never really got a feeling from any of them...

I went to Uffington castle on a misty autumn day, and really felt something amazing.. like the place was still inhabited.. I could picture the camp fires and almost smell their smoke. I got a real feeling for how the place might have been in the iron ages.... bustling with people and animals...
    I was walking up Northumberland and we came across where there had been an ancient settlement,after a while of silence I turned to my mate and said "can you feel it too?" he just smiled at me with big happy eyes

Often enough spiritual awareness depends upon when you are ready to accept it and this can happen in a stone circle on or the crapper !!!

People often notice such things at stone circles and the likes because they are searching at that particular moment,and the best time to get answers is when you are asking questions !!

Gandalf signing out !!

I
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, Fire-Tree, parrotandcrow, Uncle jhad

Heavenly Creature
    Ha ha, spot on Mr Child, sometimes I have my best moments having a piss and a joint outside, looking up at the stars
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, Fire-Tree, itinerant child, parrotandcrow

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    Mitchells Fold just above Church Stoke, not much left there, has a lost feeling to it but the place I feel best at is Arthurs Stone by Hay. It's a grave but just has a special feel about it.
    Not that far from me. Arthurs Stone.

Glad you understood what I was trying to say as I got my mords wuddled !! should of read or on the crapper

Originally Posted by itinerant child
    Often enough spiritual awareness depends upon when you are ready to accept it and this can happen in a stone circle on or the crapper !!!

I had an epiphany moment whilst having a crap answering a call of nature on the edge of Mynydd Treoyd once. It suddenly dawned on me that no matter how much money I had I could never build a toilet with a better view. (at the time, I could see both the Cambrian mountains and the Malverns and everything in between.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, itinerant child, parrotandcrow, Wulfie

I was once living up on a traveller site in the blackdowns in somerset and had one of those sort of toilets and used to look forward to goi,ng to the loo for the same peace of mind. All was well with the world.

Maybe they got it wrong back when they spent all that time building stone circles and all they should of done was host shitting parties in places with nice views !!!!

Didn't the Romans have communal shitters?

Originally Posted by Ecobob
    Didn't the Romans have communal shitters?
    what did the romans do for us