THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Standing stones, your experiences?

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Ecobob
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Didn't the Romans have communal shitters?

Yes , they were very sanitary lot . Even had sticks with sponges to wipe yer botty

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by itinerant child
    what did the romans do for us
    Imported stinging nettles
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    well apart from communal shitters,stingy nettles,aquaducts,baths,education and straight roads,I ask you,what did the romans do for us ?
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)

All right, bag of otters' noses then....

Originally Posted by itinerant child
    well apart from communal shitters,stingy nettles,aquaducts,baths,education and straight roads,I ask you,what did the romans do for us ?
    Built a big fuck off wall or was it two walls to keep the Scots out, don't forget that one.
    Not all who wander are lost

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    bring back the romans and their wall

Heavenly Creature
    Didn't keep the mad-men out though did it? They just sailed round it

Heavenly Creature
    Was it the romans who invented Monty Python?

I used to live not far from Callanish...i cant say i felt uncomfortable there as i felt nothing but ive seen strange things there. Felt nothing more than awe of being in an old place at Stonehenge.Avebury feels like friends. A circle at Mynachclog ddu in Wsles feels warm and wellcoming ss does Pentre Ifsn and Castlerigg.
    Ive an - embarrasing to some - habit of hugging stsnding stones and ususlly get really good feelings from them though ive a few experiences of feeling the life drsin from me and feeling pretty unwell untill ive let go -similar to some plsces ive been in -so im sure theres more to them and their purpose than we know.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 09-12--2016 at 11:02 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Heavenly Creature
    Yup, I've seen dedicated, life-long stone-huggers get really ill after some experiences. I'm a tree-hugger myself, and no bad ones yet ... touch wood
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    I went with friends to Castlerigg for the Summer Solstice one year. I can remember sitting and leaning against one of the stones, and it felt as though I was cuddling up to a large pillow. Absolutely amazing. I love the place.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

I live very close to Avebury,and although I dont visit the stones that often,when I do,I always experience a nice vibe.

Originally Posted by Cobra
    I live very close to Avebury,and although I dont visit the stones that often,when I do,I always experience a nice vibe.
    Having lived in and around Swindon all my life the stones at Avebury are old hat to me , from school trips aged 7 through courting and solstices , nowadays I enjoy parking up at the sanctuary most weekends , being on the ridgeway close to the tumuli is blissful

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    I passed the Nine Ladies and decided I may as well stop as it was free.

Was unprepared for the feelings. Was drawn to the centre of the circle and felt like I should walk around them and touch each one both clock-and anti-clockwise. Then I felt the urge to sit directly in the middle of the stones. This was a couple of years before I embraced hippy-dom and would not sit on 'dirty' grass. Such a strange feeling of, I think, belonging? I was so happy there, it was strange.

Speaking if castles, I love them and visit them often. Occasionally I encountered a castle that 'sprang to life'. I could feel the soldiers, the cooks, the fire, the history seeping from the stones. I can feel energy on the stairways in particular [I assume because there is more foot traffic on the stairs].

Sometimes, I can feel the energy on the path approaching the castle, the fear of the attacking army or the excitement of an incoming party. Freaks me the fuck out, but still I go, and still I touch the walls.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money