THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Who remembers this massive anti-Vietnam War demonstration?

Not Quite a Noobie

Who remembers this massive anti-Vietnam War demonstration?

Who remembers this massive anti-Vietnam War demonstration in central London which took place on March the 17th 1968 and was attended by thousands of hippies, students and other radicals?
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heavenly Creature
    Powerful stuff. I wasn't there, but we heard all about it from those who were. Welcome to the Police State.
    Probably one of the first UK demo's where police violence was shown so openly. Most earlier CND and anti-war demo's had been much more placid and peaceful, with smiling police having a fairly easy day on overtime.

There was another issue, not mentioned in the film: The US wanted the British government to call up tens of thousands of its young men to help them fight their disastrous war in Vietnam. Lower grade students and working blokes like me would be called up first, just like in the US. But our government, particularly the Labour government of the time under Wilson, would not let them. They knew they would have an insurrection on their hands. Even here in the provinces, we had plans to publicly burn our draft cards in the marketplace, if they dared send them.
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, quintessence, Uncle jhad

I remember it being a powerful time for public demonstration. Brave people took to the streets to fight for freedom & the police state responded accordingly. It seems like nothing has changed as the UK still seems intent on enforcing democracy on other countries by their beloved military. I would have been with you Keith; burning my draft card in the streets. "Tin soldiers and Nixon coming, we're finally on our own".
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    Yes, I remember it as a dark time and I watched this news report with my parents. They did not seem to know what the world was coming to. I was wondering what happened to peace, love and tolerance. I was only twelve or thirteen, so there was a lot to learn.

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    yup was there and wondered what all the fuss was about, was in uniform and thought then everyone should serve their country, dirty beatniks/hippies lazy students alike. How time and distance have changed my views.seem to remember peter haig as one of the leaders

Heavenly Creature
    Yes, but I couldn't get out of bed. Flu.

My dads sperm was just about to discover my moms ovaries that week, so I can safely say, no.

No I do not remember the that demo, But I do recall vividly the Tv news of the US retreat out of Saigon.

Not Quite a Noobie
    Loads of famous people were on that demonstration such as former Labour party minister Jack Straw, Richard Branson, Vanessa Redgrave, Felix Dennis etc. I suppose that was because the Vietnam war was widely considered to be an unjust war and the tactics being used by the USA such as napalming villages and spraying vast rainforests with deadly agent orange to be inhumane and war crimes. In America a lot of people also strongly objected to drafting people into the army for that war as well.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Richard Branson would of only been 17 or 18 and not famous then , he did not start his first record shop till 1970 .
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

I was a kid and it went right over my head. I did however get one of the little hand held transistor radios for Christmas that year.
    Fking wooossies. Should have all gone in tooled up. A few fire bombs and barb wire lassoos for the mounted section. Bring them down to the ground and put them out of action in the panic. Who..... I'm thiking aloud again.
    It does wind me up when I see folk getting dragged by the hair though. You pull my hair, I poke your fkin eyes out. Let's see you fight when it's all dark.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, julianthegypsy

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Languid Virago
    My dads sperm was just about to discover my moms ovaries that week, so I can safely say, no.
    Totally off topic right, but that reminded me of this online thing I did once to find out the date you were conceived. I was conceived on my dads birthday so I was the result of him getting a birthday shag! Gross :/
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, julianthegypsy

Originally Posted by emmadilemma
    Totally off topic right, but that reminded me of this online thing I did once to find out the date you were conceived. I was conceived on my dads birthday so I was the result of him getting a birthday shag! Gross :/
    That's not something you really wanted in your head I'm sure. "Here's your birthday present dad" dirty old man.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar

Originally Posted by wandering gypsy
    yup was there and wondered what all the fuss was about, was in uniform and thought then everyone should serve their country, dirty beatniks/hippies lazy students alike. How time and distance have changed my views.seem to remember peter haig as one of the leaders
    Peter Hain was one of the leaders of the anti aparthied movement and was famously part of the crew that dug up the pitch at Lords before a match with South Africa. And there's not a lot of people know that!
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

I only vaguely remember this, I was just a kid, but learned more about it later, especially I remember Roy Harper referring to it. I do remember seeing news of the student riots in Paris, they really let 'em have it. The streets in France are often paved with nice cobble stones, which can easily be prized up and are an ideal throwing size, and by heck they knew how to throw them. Those demonstrations won major concessions from the government in France that are still felt today.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, oldkeith

Heavenly Creature
    Yeah, the student occupations and riots in Paris were a great inspiration to us over here. The older generations here were aghast at the time - would Britain be next for violent upheaval? I think there must have been big official plans behind the scenes in case it did happen.

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    Yeah, the student occupations and riots in Paris were a great inspiration to us over here. The older generations here were aghast at the time - would Britain be next for violent upheaval? I think there must have been big official plans behind the scenes in case it did happen.
    It's interesting. The British establishment has always been good at watching the French and then backing off and giving just enough to save their bacon just before the revolution comes across the channel, it's been going on for centuries. The French students succeeded because as far as I remember, they weren't only complaining about their own lot, but the lot of small farmers and the working class too, which gained them popular support, which made all the difference and is yet another lesson worth learning.
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith

Yes, I remember it well! Toby.

I was only 7 months old so was probably screaming according to my dad, "throw him out of the window, we aren't having anymore" I believe his words were.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.

lone wolf survivalist.
    a lot of people on this site weren't even born then, that's the year I got married for the first time.