Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Colours

Colours

Since the tripping subject got refreshed and one of our blind members came back to the forum, I've been thinking more and more about colours we see or take for granted.
    At 52 I now find I'm needing glasses for reading small print and fine work detail. Am I also experiencing a change in the colours I perceive? If like reading, it happens over a long period of time, I can't say that I've noticed.
    What I have noticed in the last 15 years or so is we tend to be bombarded with so many amazing colours and shades. Almost like the computer and photography have a new colour palette.
    This brings me on to true colours and false colours. Primary colour spectrum, Black & White.
    i have been looking at images from the many telescopes pointing out into the solar system and behond. Some of the images that I think have been interpreted by man and computer, just blow my mind.
    So it's got me thinking about colours in the natural world. From the beginning of our planet to present day. Are we creating more and more colours or have we exhausted the digital and chemical range?
    When our planet first formed. Rock and molten rock would have a limited range of colour and shades. But would have been primarily the total extent of the colours and shades on earth. Other planets and stars may have been visible as light.
    Then came water, so blues, then phytoplankton released oxygen and algae along with photosynthesis in simple plants would provide green.
    Life in water would have need to use colour for identification, both for breeding, camouflage & food source identification. So I can imaging the spectrum started to develop at this point utilising sunlight.
    As animals and birds developed agian for similar reasons to aquatic life colours would play a roll and eyes would develop in evolutionary terms to make further use of light and colours.
    Once the flora and fauna became established, it would be evolution within these species that created any new colours and shades until man came along. Early artists finding pigments to turn into paint. Then the electronic era and electromagnetic spectrum.

What we see in the natural world is only from the light colour spectrum and what is or isn't absorbed and reflected back into our eyes.

i have a question's Is green the only light I can see when looking at the suns light through a leaf? If so does that mean the leaf is blocking all other colours in the light spectrum from penetrating and coming out the other side of the leaf? Is the leaf absorbing other coulours from its surface on the light side?
    My other question is, can we continue to make completely new colours or shades with the technology we have today? Or are there new ways to make our eyes intercept, detect colours our eyes have not evolved to do so?
    Black is black because it doesn't absorb or reflect light?
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, MacMac

as i understand it chlorophyyl absorbs and uses the red and blue ends of the spectrum and reflects the green.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Shroom
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    as i understand it chlorophyyl absorbs and uses the red and blue ends of the spectrum and reflects the green.
    Cool I remember studying chloroplasts years ago but can't recal touching on light spectrum.

You think too much

I think it`s interesting that some birds and fish can see other parts of the spectrum,colours (<<<spelt correctly FFS) are important for signaling.

Originally Posted by nomis
    I think it`s interesting that some birds and fish can see other parts of the spectrum,colours (<<<spelt correctly FFS) are important for signaling.
    insects also so I believe , some of those irridescent beetles and flies gotta be like that for a reason , birds have different vision as well , maybe thats more of a colour blindness/colour difference thing.

ohh , and I think us britlanders use the word 'signalling' ,just saying......
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis

Originally Posted by nomis
    spectrum,colours (<<<spelt correctly FFS) .
    ??? What you talkin bout Willis? Is it cos am black?
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis

Indeed a hovering Kestral is looking for the luminescent trail of a mammal's urine on the ground.

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    Indeed a hovering Kestral is looking for the luminescent trail of a mammal's urine on the ground.
    so THATS why I have a flock of kestrals hovering above me

??? What you talkin bout Willis? Is it cos am black?
    No it wuz the Hamerican speel checkster on`t forum lyke.

so THATS why I have a flock of kestrals hovering above me
    Na shroom those kestrel's are after your feathered pet. Amazing how cocky our pets get when their behind glass. Like a lot of the keyboard renegades we get from time to time.

From what i gather some berries that appear red to human eyes, really stand out to some of the primate species. This evolutionary adaption allows the primates to identify ripe fruit quickly, avoiding putting itself in danger for longer when foraging.
    Purple and blue also stand out to somewhat differently to some bird species. I'm not sure how the relationship developed, whether plants evolved to target a animal or bird species or the animal or bird species evolved in response to the properties the plants/trees developed. Not quite the chicken or egg, as they could easily have evolved simultaneously.

Originally Posted by Roamer
    You think too much
    You don't think at all
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Your bang on right shroom. The leaf does primarily capture and utilises red and blue (infact a leaf will use all of the colours in the light spectrum) other than green, which is a waste product in photosynthesis, unused it's both reflected and allowed to pass right through the leaf.

Originally Posted by dollybassett
    You don't think at all
    Oi waspy!

There's a lot to be said for not over thinking.

You should try it some time

I remember as a kid I got a chopper bike , distinct orange colour, but out at night it changed under the glow of the sodium ( ?) street lights , recently in the bus i had a strip of them RGB led's , red rizla and amber leaf packs go crazy colours when flashing between .so its a mix of what light is available and what the refractive index of the thing you are looking at . sunlight appears red at sunrise /set as its being 'filtered' a lot more by the atmosphere and its mostly the high energy red parts that get through.

At first I thought they were talking about that stuff on a cloth that knocks people out
    then I realised they were just doing the gardening.

Well after thinking and then googling and then a bit of research, it turns out we truly are in for a treat. It turns out we can only see a small fraction of colours in our visible spectrum range. But science and technology will reveal far more from space than we can imagine. Whoooer I can't wait. I do like to watch. Look and see, far more than I do think roamer.

many of them pics from hubble etc are composites of images at many different wavelenghs , some in the ultra-violet and some in the infra-red and everything inbetween . Lets not even get started on polarised light
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

...because urine contains phosperous and kestrels can see it?

popcorn time?

Originally Posted by dollybassett
    You don't think at all

Chloroform?Not talking about your dating techniques at present.Its chlorophyl...green...plants?

Originally Posted by Roamer
    At first I thought they were talking about that stuff on a cloth that knocks people out
    then I realised they were just doing the gardening.

We have a new blue - Maybe best I just add a link for those interested

So the discovery of new colour to use in art is possible.

The first known examples of man made art were perhaps the Cave paintings, of course they could only use what was at hand. But the will and drive to create was there, so to must have been the recognition of use and application. Crushing and rendering to fine powder pigments.

Nature will produce a myriad of colours, shades and hues - how they appear to man or beast will depend much on the light - and distance. How colours appear together is also a factor as well as texture of leaf or flower.

Maybe one quick example is if anyone - sure there are - ages with myself, who can remember B/w telly or if you watch an old movie. Not sure of the science behind it but how colours appear on different monitors again another example.

The herring gull and chick experiments were one to define colour use by nature - the chicks would only peck at a red spot -

Great topic to explore - thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by MacMac; 15-12--2016 at 09:42 PM. Reason: add
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, cricket

How exactly are we ever going to be able to see colours that we have not evolved to be able to see?Maybe we have "dumped"the ability, as it is only useful to see colours required for survival.Maybe though our brain is filtering out what it has evolved to accept as uneccessary.To think we could learn to see other colours would be beyond awesome.I have had several hallucogenic experiences in life and though I saw amazing things, the colours remained those i already know.I would have thought that was the time to see more if any, as my brain was freed up from programing...or was it.Everything we see already has a perceived colour asigned to it.If there are more colours does it mean our brain is at present"ignoring" these and just asigning ones we already see?

good article here