THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sleep - What price would you put on it?

Heavenly Creature
    My daughter was just a non-sleep baby, a total mad bouncy-ball of energy and lunacy, hardly slept at all compared to our friend's kids. I remember too often being stood in the bed-room trying to rock her to sleep in my arms, so her mum could get some rest, at 3:00 am, just thinking "please go to sleep I've got to be at work in 3 hrs"
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, NomadicRT

When i was young my work was very orgsnised snd routine and very full on so the few hours of sleep were welcome and used wisely.I was uber fit and never felt tired and often awake raring to go after 4 hours.

When i chsnged career I worked nights a lot as i hated the tedious day shifts,i often swapped most pf my shift weeks with colleagues so i got to work nights more...id say 80% of my last full time career was nights.5 nights on 8hr or 4 on 4 off 10 hour shifts I never had any trouble sleeping summer or winter i got time to keep up my dsily cycling or rowing without much disruption and bizarrely my ptsd didnt disturb my sleep like it does now..win win situation.

Now im retired i sleep when im tired and that can be sny time day or night I dont have a routine and im not fond of them these days and i never set alarms and my phone is mostly on mute so i tend to wake naturslly not get disturbed by people or getting up for work and i mostly get proper sleep and as much as i need.

I dont know as i could put a price on it,perhaps its priceless ,all i do know is im not a nice person at all when im deprived of sleep through pain which happened a lot or through ptsd nightmares so i try to avoid getting in thst situation and try to get adequate sleep or cstch up on any lost sleep.
    I get really pissed with people waking me up unnecesssrily too...if tis an emergency fine, if not im.not impressed.
    Being unable to sleep undisturbed caused a lot of friction with family and the end of a relationship some years back because people have not at all understood the relationship with pain and inadequate sleep and how much it affects my temperament.

One thing i do know in my own case is the fitter i am the better and more restful my sleep is.When ive not done much exercise or slightly overweight i dont sleep well at all, the discs in my back are more mobile and cause pain so wakes me or im sleeping lightly and almost 'terrified' of moving so not getting adequate sleep which affects my general mood so i try to get adequate exercise and keep my weight under control .Because of another problem i get sporadic joint or muscle pain for days which is not helpful for sleep.Disturbed sleep is no good for anyone.If im depressed i tend to go in the opposite direction and sleep too long which isnt healthy and doesnt leave me feeling at all refreshed so i lm firmly of the belief that we generally underestimate how important sleep is and getting the right quality sleep for the right period.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 17-12--2016 at 04:11 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Uncle jhad

Quote Originally Posted by marshlander View Post
    Sleep ... I remember that
    is that only because your too busy playing gigs these days? I would have thought going home to comfy boat in a quite part of the Countryside & being gently rocked to sleep would bring it on? Or am I just ignorant of mariner life? Can you hear your neighbours coughing or generators humming on their boat? Sound must travel over and through the water, I wonder if these steel hull boats act like a sound resonator now?
    Do you have a afternoon nap when the sunlight pours through your porthole?

Heavenly Creature
    In the marinas you can hear a neighbour 8 boats away farting, and arguing ... and all the rocking when someone is coming down the boardwalk, not for me I decided ...
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander

That sucks, mooring on a canal bank can't be much better with towpath foot traffic and cruiser boats going by at all times? Does it differ between steel and fibre boats?

Heavenly Creature
    Mama's boat is on the River Nene, which is one of the very few quiet places left on the water these days. In the marina, nice laid-back people, but just too many ... tied up to a tree on the river in the middle of nowhere is nice though.

When I lived on the narrowboat, for the first night I couldn't sleep a wink, I think my body was adjusting to the movement.
    But after that I slept really well for the rest of the time I was there. I wasn't far from a railway either but you kind of get used to that as well I think as there were only a couple of night trains and always at the same time.
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

I'm a good sleeper but circumstances mean I haven't had a full nights sleep for a long time. I work nights one week on, one week off. Also since moving I can't lock my cats in another room so they cat about and wake me up when I'm at home.

I much prefer my new work schedule and where I'm living now though so am just gonna have to suck it up and hope I don't do any permanent damage. Strangely I feel less tired now than when I was working days..

Heavenly Creature
    First time I stayed on a barge was at All Cannings, my mate went off to Bhudda field fest and offered me his boat , no internet, no tv, no radio, no phone... it was brilliant. Pitch black at night, just the nature and the sky. One morning I was doing my gratitude ritual thing on the stern=deck as a boat came past , with a good few on board, we chatted for a while, then they all wished me well and we exchanged bon voyage etc ... it was only after they'd passed that I noticed I was standing there naked the whole time
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, dollybassett, Ecobob, marshlander, NomadicRT, parrotandcrow, realnutter

I always try to go to bed on the day I woke up if I can.

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Uncle jhad

Quote Originally Posted by aman View Post
    I always try to go to bed on the day I woke up if I can.

Paul
    That can be harder than it sounds, even with best intentions.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander

We after considering this all day. I'm going to put a price on sleep for the average healthy person.

A) inline with minimum wage. It's only fair, I wouldn't go to work for less.
    B) amount comparable with whatever the state pays a unemployed person to look for work. In a way it would be free money or being paid to sleep even if It's not a real job. I would still need the sleep if not the work.

Sleep should be a zero hours contract maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRT View Post
    Sleep should be a zero hours contract maybe ?
    UKIP won't like that.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Heavenly Creature
    I've always liked to sleep, early nights, long teen-age lay-ins, and generally just festering in bed, still do ... rm calls me a dormouse
    Last edited by Uncle jhad; 17-12--2016 at 09:38 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: zendaze

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle jhad View Post
    My daughter was just a non-sleep baby, a total mad bouncy-ball of energy and lunacy, hardly slept at all compared to our friend's kids. I remember too often being stood in the bed-room trying to rock her to sleep in my arms, so her mum could get some rest, at 3:00 am, just thinking "please go to sleep I've got to be at work in 3 hrs"
    Quite the modern man back then mate!

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by alices wonderland View Post
    Quite the modern man back then mate!
    Yeah

UKIP won't like that.
    Good reason for bringing it in then...
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    is that only because your too busy playing gigs these days? I would have thought going home to comfy boat in a quite part of the Countryside & being gently rocked to sleep would bring it on? Or am I just ignorant of mariner life? Can you hear your neighbours coughing or generators humming on their boat? Sound must travel over and through the water, I wonder if these steel hull boats act like a sound resonator now?
    Do you have a afternoon nap when the sunlight pours through your porthole?
    I have round blackouts which fit into the two portholes in my cabin, but I only use one because I like to have one of them open for fresh air. On gig nights I may not get back till two, three or sometimes later in the morning. I don't have many bookings in the diary at the moment, although January looks busier. My boat is comfortable, as is my bed; the countryside is mostly quiet and I am not in a marina, even on my home mooring. There is not a road of any kind nearby. My nearest neighbour has been living at his girlfriend's for the past few weeks so I have not been treated to his choice of recorded music or his newly discovered passion for playing electric guitar - at performance levels. All the conditions are great for peaceful, restful sleep. I don't usually have a problem going to sleep in the first place, unless the adrenaline of a good gig is still circulating, but it is irritating to wake up after a couple of hours and take ages to go back to sleep again. Too tired to read for long, or to get up and do something useful and in the quiet of the night the tinnitus is at its most insistent. From then on I drop in and out of sleep and have often finally dropped off just before I have to get up for a day job - thankfully these are becoming increasingly rare too. Yes, I have tried resting in the afternoon before an impending late night, but that never works. Even at my age I experience anxiety before a workshop or performance. I suppose four, sometimes five, hours is normal in a twenty-four hour period; six is unusual and on the rare (and I'm talking hen's teeth here) occasion I have had seven hours I have woken up feeling strangely alive.

Indeed sound does travel further on water. It travels at five times the speed of sound through the air and four times faster than that through solid steel. I often wonder what others experience when I practise, not that there is really anyone to hear me. They say they don't hear anything, but I don't know if they are just being polite. I try not to be loud. I'm not a huge fan of the one neighbour's electric guitar at high SPLs when he's around, while the other seems, sadly (okay, I'm not being entirely sincere), to have parted from his saxophone-playing girlfriend. Noises outside the boat at night are mostly from wildlife, dogs and horses or the swishing and whirring of the twenty-six wind turbines in the neighbouring field. I can't blame any of those, since I have experienced this poor sleep pattern for decades.

I am currently house-sitting for a couple of artist friends who live in an old church and now it is just cold, despite the hot water bottle, the layers I have under me and the three duvets on top.

French Whale Fan says I often appear to stop breathing, so maybe that's it. It's amazing how I manage to start breathing spontaneously when he's not around three weeks out of every four to nudge me or shake me ... I can't complain, though, because he is also a great believer in the sleep-promoting properties of sexual activity before sleeping. He may have a point and I am willing to continue to aid his research.

Yes I feel that sleep is very precious, and I am quite resentful if I am woken up when I finally manage to get to sleep, but I'm afraid I just can't see it in terms of how much I would pay for a decent night's kip. My life is good. I know many people have their sleep disturbed through pain and I have experienced that, but it is very rare.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    sleep got to be worth a few good pounds getting in to bed when you can here it blowing a gale an belting down outside you get nice an warm an that bit between awake an sleep as for working nights if ya going to work nights you want to work them regular no shift pattern been 21 years since i did them an it wil be a lot longer before i do them again

I work a mixture of days and nights - 12 hr shifts, my body clock is absolutely shot, before the shifts I was always up early and looking towards the day with enthusiasm in what ever I had ahead of me, now I am usually knackered most of the time and put jobs off to another day far too easily.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.

Maybe I'll put a price on it another day.......the potential cost of falling down to sleep is death or worse whilst most vulnerable.

French Whale Fan says I often appear to stop breathing, so maybe that's it. It's amazing how I manage to start breathing spontaneously when he's not around three weeks out of every four to nudge me or shake me ... .[/QUOTE] lots of people are boarding on the realms of sleep apnea breathing patterns. The body amazingly won't let us forget for too many minutes.
    I take large amounts of Fentanyl daily. a side effect is shallow breathing. It's not really an issue with my sleep though.

Hope your warmer now. I've never seen a pallet wood stove, do you shove broken pallets in or pellets made out of reclaimed wood? I've got a image of a Wallace & Gromit conveyor belt, flapping about, with piles of broken naily wood moving towards a steam punk incinerator with brass gauges poking out the sides in all directions. Counterweights hanging on chains.
    The church sounds fab. Still time to Alice's Restaurant with Flatland hippies turning up for a tune and social therapy.

There's something so special about stretching out into a freshly made bed with clean cotton sheets. One of the few natural homely comforts, like climbing in a hot bath.

Fortunatly I get the opportunity to sleep alone often in my wagon. So disturbance by others is kept to a minimum. I do get a cat comes calling often (vocally calling my name) or scratching at the wagon door. Also I have a family of Barnowls just over the field and I'm parked under their very low flight path. Horses out front &across the road. Dog walkers and drunken gypsies from the scrapyard driving past at all times. Other than that is so very quiet and nice.

Speaking of partners. I would find loud snoring too disturbing. My partner, like me does snore from time to time, depending how we lay. There's never a cross word said and a little prompting can resolve it on the worst occasions. I'm finding my partner grinds her teeth more these last few months. That can't be a good thing in the long run.