THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sleep - What price would you put on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle jhad View Post
    I've always liked to sleep, early nights, long teen-age lay-ins, and generally just festering in bed, still do ... rm calls me a dormouse
    After the honeymoon period with my Partner. I began to wonder if she was actually a idiopathic sleeper by nature. I would find myself awake and up hours before our boy woke up and then several more hours before his mum would wake up. I put it down to her being closer to her teenage years than me, being 20 years younger. 8 years on, I now know she just loves sleep.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alices wonderland View Post
    ... Hope your warmer now. I've never seen a pallet wood stove, do you shove broken pallets in or pellets made out of reclaimed wood? I've got a image of a Wallace & Gromit conveyor belt, flapping about, with piles of broken naily wood moving towards a steam punk incinerator with brass gauges poking out the sides in all directions. Counterweights hanging on chains.
    The church sounds fab. Still time to Alice's Restaurant with Flatland hippies turning up for a tune and social therapy.
    Hmm, did my auto-correcting spelling device write "pallet"? No the huge boiler is indeed a pellet burner, as in little pellets of processed wood, similar in size and appearance to layers' pellets. And, no, not much warmer, just wearing more layers and a warmer hat. The wood-burning stove in the kitchen started smoking fiercely last night. I'm not sure what's going on with that, but I nearly choked and all my clothes now smell of wood smoke. I've just loaded up the pellet burner and applied the blow-torch to get it going.

Sadly, you are too late for a thanksgiving dinner that couldn't be beat, but I didn't put the rubbish out last week, because there was barely anything in the bin bag. It may take me a while to accumulate half a ton of garbage. I could borrow a VW microbus, I suppose, and there are plenty of shovels and rakes and implements of destruction lying around. Still think you can get anything you want ... ?

My sleep patterns been pretty crap since hitting menopause 5 yrs ago.I used to sleep a good 7-8 hrs per night.I work 4 days on,then have 4 days off,12 hr shifts from 6am-6pm.I'm lucky if I max 6 hrs sleep a night,whether its a work night or not.I go to sleep fine,but wake up,either once or twice a night which is bloody annoying.Example....last night was my 4th day of working,so in theory I should be knackered and sleeping like a log right?Nope!Went to bed at 10pm,more or less went straight to sleep,woke up....thought it was morning as in say 6am?Looked at my watch....its friggin 12.30pm!!!Managed to return to sleep,then woke at 5am.
    So what price would I pay?Minimum wage I'm afraid lol

Quote Originally Posted by marshlander View Post
    Hmm, did my auto-correcting spelling device write "pallet"? No the huge boiler is indeed a pellet burner, as in little pellets of processed wood, similar in size and appearance to layers' pellets. And, no, not much warmer, just wearing more layers and a warmer hat. The wood-burning stove in the kitchen started smoking fiercely last night. I'm not sure what's going on with that, but I nearly choked and all my clothes now smell of wood smoke. I've just loaded up the pellet burner and applied the blow-torch to get it going.

Sadly, you are too late for a thanksgiving dinner that couldn't be beat, but I didn't put the rubbish out last week, because there was barely anything in the bin bag. It may take me a while to accumulate half a ton of garbage. I could borrow a VW microbus, I suppose, and there are plenty of shovels and rakes and implements of destruction lying around. Still think you can get anything you want ... ?
    Cheers for clearing that up. I'm reading the tiniest of digital words on this IPad. Not good for my eyes and I really should try glasses. Does the stove pipe have a damper? Opening that up could help and give it more air.
    Have you cleaned the chimney? Often outside air pressure can restrict smoke flow but nothing so bad as a choked stovepipe to make your eyes run. Tapping the metal pipe with a lump of wood helps drop a bit of carbon down the chimney.
    your a lovely guy and worth a pilgrimage for sanctuary. All any of us need is love and if it can be found in a redundant church, it's just Another place worth stopping off at. Hope your warmer tonight and don't worry about the smell of smoke, soon enough it's only others that can smell it on your clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    My sleep patterns been pretty crap since hitting menopause 5 yrs ago.I used to sleep a good 7-8 hrs per night.I work 4 days on,then have 4 days off,12 hr shifts from 6am-6pm.I'm lucky if I max 6 hrs sleep a night,whether its a work night or not.I go to sleep fine,but wake up,either once or twice a night which is bloody annoying.Example....last night was my 4th day of working,so in theory I should be knackered and sleeping like a log right?Nope!Went to bed at 10pm,more or less went straight to sleep,woke up....thought it was morning as in say 6am?Looked at my watch....its friggin 12.30pm!!!Managed to return to sleep,then woke at 5am.
    So what price would I pay?Minimum wage I'm afraid lol
    Many moons ago, I sat with friends around the fire all night. Sun came up and we said our goodbyes. I walked over to my wagon to get some shut eye. No further than my boots off and leaning as if to climb up into my bed. There I fell asleep. Hours passed by. I woke up and freaked out. For some sleep deprived reason I thought I had overslept, standing/leaning over my bed. Still dressed & not only feeling like I had been cheated out of much needed rest. I felt a fool as I had lost a full day too. I had no clock or watch, but did have a basic mobile phone. Quickly phoning my partner to tell her about my miss fortune. She told me she had just arrived home herself and I couldn't have been asleep more than the hour, since she left me.

When I was a kid I went to school with a brown shoe on one foot and a black shoe on the other. I hadn't noticed until last lesson if the day. Back then life was much simpler. Alarm call from downstairs quickly dressed and out the door, over the field and into the classroom. Boys these days have to apply deodorant and hair gel before they dare step out of the door.
    My friends wife suffers from menopause still at 64 she lays on a clean towel on top of her bed. She drinks only Lukewarm water, no caffeine. Another reason men get off lightly.

I sleep much better, after seven years of sleeping on wood and foam, since clearing a space and putting a house bed on the boat last year. Cheapy metal frame bed from b&m and 3' comfy mattress is lovely now. Good flow of air means had no mould too.

When I have to be up for work I sleep badly seem to wake every hour and check the clock but day off today and I slept all night and feel rested this morning after waking up naturally to quiet apart from traffic in the distance. Don't remember dreaming.

Love the idea said up thread about sleeping and waking with no routine will try that one day
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob

I remember once going to work on a Saturday morning after a particularly late Friday night.
    I was a bit early and really didn't feel up it so decided to pull over in a side street for a quick power nap before going on to work.
    Next thing I know it's 12.45 and I've pretty much slept through my entire Saturday morning shift.
    I kept quiet about it and they never questioned it so I got away with that one. That was the upside of working in a big company back then.
    Any resemblance to actual persons living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental

My bed is a magical place where I suddenly remember everything I was supposed to do. Last night I wanted to sleep but my brain kept taking to itself.

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    My bed is a magical place where I suddenly remember everything I was supposed to do. Last night I wanted to sleep but my brain kept taking to itself.
    I know that one. I find a notebook by the bed helps. Then I can let go of the to-do list for a while.

I wouldnt say i need much sleep,7 kids got me out of that "need",with 1 that co slept badly till he was 3 1/2!but disturbed nights now bother me more,and i feel it more.but when im awake i cant lay in.(unlike uj!).but if i do have a fidgety night i really have some wierd ideas,thoughts and worries..last night it was how best to remove the fridge from the van,lol xx

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbomama View Post
    I wouldnt say i need much sleep,7 kids got me out of that "need",with 1 that co slept badly till he was 3 1/2!but disturbed nights now bother me more,and i feel it more.but when im awake i cant lay in.(unlike uj!).but if i do have a fidgety night i really have some wierd ideas,thoughts and worries..last night it was how best to remove the fridge from the van,lol xx
    last night I had a dream. In my dream our boy looked sad, but like always, he hid any feelings or concerns he may have. I reached out to him feeling his sadness. I asked him what could be so bad? He opened up his cardigan that he wore under his open coat. For some unknown reason he was wearing the cardigan inside out. He peeled back the front edge of the cardigan to revival ' my little ponies press stud fastenings on the hand me down cardigan. Poor lad was embarrassed by them & I then felt guilty for assuming a 12 year old lad would wear what ever he was expected to.

Did you think the fridge was was too big to go out through the doorway?

Lol,no,we need the space it occupies,it over heats constantly,dont need it in the winter,the side step foot well is cold enough,it was the disconnecting the gas that was worrying me..see 3am is not the time to remove a multi power source appliance xx

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbomama View Post
    Lol,no,we need the space it occupies,it over heats constantly,dont need it in the winter,the side step foot well is cold enough,it was the disconnecting the gas that was worrying me..see 3am is not the time to remove a multi power source appliance xx
    Good job you left it for day time. If there's a on/off tap. You can turn it off there and remove any forward pipe. Or you cam buy brass blank end caps for a few quid and get rid of tap also.

Update:What price would I put on a good nights sleep?How about 1.54 for a pack of 20 over the counter sleeping pills from Morrisons pharmacy!They work amazingly well!Now maxing a good 8+ hrs sleep per night.
    You are the creator of your own reality!
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Cool, I've tried prescription sleepers and they do work. Even taking half of a pill. I've given alternative (organic) sleeping products a try and the results were no where near as good.

However out of fear of dependency for longterm sleep management. I'm leaving all sleeping pills in the last resort box.
    I was awake at 4.am this morning. Took my painkillers two hours earlier and got 2 more hours sleep.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Melatonin is a natural supplement you can get at a vitamin shop. It helps you sleep, but only take one.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Don't you get that though naturally from the sun Gophangover?I spend alot of time outside too?

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by gophangover View Post
    Melatonin is a natural supplement you can get at a vitamin shop. It helps you sleep, but only take one.
    Prescription only in UK, unfortunately.

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    Update:What price would I put on a good nights sleep?How about 1.54 for a pack of 20 over the counter sleeping pills from Morrisons pharmacy!They work amazingly well!Now maxing a good 8+ hrs sleep per night.
    Zopiclone is quite effective for sleep, but has to be prescribed by GP.

Cool, I've tried prescription sleepers and they do work. Even taking half of a pill. I've given alternative (organic) sleeping products a try and the results were no where near as good.

However out of fear of dependency for longterm sleep management. I'm leaving all sleeping pills in the last resort box.
    I was awake at 4.am this morning. Took my painkillers two hours earlier and got 2 more hours sleep.
    These are non prescription Alice,50gm whatever they are?lol I had to take drastic measures.Going to work for 4 days of 12 hr shifts on sometimes 5 hrs sleep was'nt doing me much good.I'm using them as a temp measure,but they are working,and I feel 100% better.
    The following users think this post is groovy: zendaze

Quote Originally Posted by rhythm View Post
    Zopiclone is quite effective for sleep, but has to be prescribed by GP.
    i was prescribed these when i was struggling to sleep on shifts, they are quite mellow, not knock-you-out pills, i have some for emergencies now.

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by groove View Post
    i was prescribed these when i was struggling to sleep on shifts, they are quite mellow, not knock-you-out pills, i have some for emergencies now.
    I have had them on and off over the years, I only take them when I am really desperate for sleep, as they can be addictive apparently. They seem to calm the mind and make one mellow and chilled out, that you just end up falling asleep,

The following users think this post is groovy: groove, zendaze

Ive tried, been prescribed Zopies. 7.5mg. They are plenty strong enough, hence I can sometimes get away using only half a tab. I understand that some poeple require 2x 7.5mg per night just to get yo sleep.
    Trying to manage a sleep routine is half the battle. Mixed working shifts or chronic pain just hinder that.

Heavenly Creature
    Ive tried, been prescribed Zopies. 7.5mg. They are plenty strong enough, hence I can sometimes get away using only half a tab. I understand that some poeple require 2x 7.5mg per night just to get yo sleep.
    Trying to manage a sleep routine is half the battle. Mixed working shifts or chronic pain just hinder that.
    I only got the 3.75mg, sometimes I might take two, but normally one is enough.