THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Paraffin lamps and heaters

You could test it outside and leave it to get hot rather than burn down your gaff
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

It's mainly the smell/fumes I want to test in a confined space but I was going to light it outside then bring it in if it looks friendly enough.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Has the great firing of the lamp begun? or is there just a great fire ?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Offgrid hero

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    Has the great firing of the lamp begun? or is there just a great fire ?
    So far so good it's been running for 5 hours now with no problems,no smoke a very slight smell but hardly noticeable,at 57p a litre I couldn't be happier
    just a simple guy

Does it smell of icecream vans?....Used to love that smell,it would make a great room freshener

I've been reading about other uses for surgical spirit,de-icer, degreaser, first aid handy if I go over and graze a knee I'm going to buy a couple more containers to keep in stock.
    just a simple guy

Yes its sterile uses are legendary.It stings a lot but better than getting infected wounds.

Does it smell of icecream vans?....Used to love that smell,it would make a great room freshener
    I think if I'm honest I should have cleaned the dust/gunk off the glass then it probably won't smell of anything,it seems surgical spirit should be the perfect cleaner for the glass chimney..
    Last edited by Offgrid hero; 29-09--2017 at 09:34 PM.
    just a simple guy

It's been running for 18 odd hours now constantly I've survived the night no headache or itchy eyes, I'm going to leave it running to it runs out of fuel so I will know what sort of burn time I can expect from the lamp with just shy of a litre of the mix
    just a simple guy

The lamp burnt for 72 hours continuously but the end of the wick gummed up so I'm guessing that it needs more spirit, the new mix is 40ml per litre I'll see how this performs but I think it will sort it out.
    just a simple guy

Good result then
    better than the fridge experiments... although you could try the mix on that

Good result then
    better than the fridge experiments... although you could try the mix on that
    That had crossed my mind I thought I'd filter the old oil through a cloth or something then add some spirit.
    just a simple guy

Noobie
    Hi guys. What type of lamps are you using? Perhaps post a link so I can have a look please?

Originally Posted by Steev
    Hi guys. What type of lamps are you using? Perhaps post a link so I can have a look please?
    Hello, I've got a couple of old brass Victorian jobs the one I'm using for the test is 1" single wick but I've got a double wick that I keep for special occasions.
    just a simple guy

Bit of a setback with the mix, I'm trying it in the heater and it went out when I looked at it the mix has attacked and dissolved the plastic fuel indicator rods in the tank, might just have got unlucky with unsuitable 70's plastic but the new mix could now have too much surgical spirit in it.
    just a simple guy

Unlucky..a lot of the older heaters had metal tanks and copper float indicators.You might need a different mix for lamps and heaters will run on normal kerosene anyway.

Whats the advantage in burning surgical spirit? it only has a fraction of the heat value of paraffin. the trick is finding somewhere to buy paraffin at the right price. Red diesel will gum up your wick.

White spirit is kerosene, which is paraffin. Last time I looked B+M were cheapest
    Last edited by Bernie; 16-10--2017 at 09:37 PM.

The spirit thins the diesel so it doesn't clog the wick.
    just a simple guy

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    The spirit thins the diesel so it doesn't clog the wick.
    How much is it costing though? Rye Oil among others deliver parraffin in bulk, don't know about the cost though

Originally Posted by Bernie
    How much is it costing though? Rye Oil among others deliver parraffin in bulk, don't know about the cost though

57p per litre all in, but the diesel is something I've always got a stock of and can replace easily.
    just a simple guy

I bought a paraffin heater for the house but no longer use it cos of the smell / fumes! It made me feel ill!
    So I bought a portable butane gas heater which is much better!

Was that a modern paraffin heater ?

A 'blue flame' domestic paraffin heater with a properly adjusted wick shouldn't smell or make fumes although it might cause condensation but a gas heater does too.
    The cheaper 'yellow flame' greenhouse heaters will produce fumes and shouldn't be used in dwellings.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Offgrid hero