Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Paraffin lamps and heaters

Paraffin lamps and heaters

I use a paraffin lamp every evening and can't fault the experience, in a small space it also raises the temperature noticeably but not many other people seem to use them and I think there missing a potentially useful bit of kit so I'm thinking I'd like to raise awareness of it's use to folk (I'm not affiliated to any paraffin related business).I just love paraffin
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    I love my paraffin lamp, too. I need a new glass chimney for it before I can light it again, though.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Offgrid hero

Excellent I thought I was blazing a solo trail.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow

I got given a couple of Tilly lamps yesterday and some oil ,but the oil is scented I've never thought about putting some essential oils in with the paraffin it could be nice and I'm thinking you could put some citronella or something in in the summertime to keep the midges away.
    just a simple guy

I tried a hurricane style lamp in my van. It didnt seem to burn right. A lot of black smoke which I didnt notice at the time apart from the coughing fit that ensued and 3 days of coughing black stuff up.

I'm in no rush to try them again.

Black smoke is probably a result of having the wick adjusted too high
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

My lamps are Victorian with the tall glass shade/chimneys probably cleaner burning or easier to finely adjust never had even a slight problem with smoke or fumes.
    just a simple guy

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    I think hurricane lamps are more intended for outdoors .

That sounds right
    just a simple guy

I have a small paraffin stove, too. The opening for the oil is rusted shut though, and I haven't managed to free it. If I ever manage it will be fun for outdoor cooking. The smell reminds me of when I was wee and we went on camping holidays.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Nowt wrong with paraffin if the lamp.or stove is set up properly..paraffin stoves are still made....getting hold of the fuel cheap is the main issue but ive sorted that now so ill.be getting out my oil lamps too.

Hurricane lamps are definitely not for indoor use.theyre specifically designed to stay alight in, well hurricanes lol, its not easy to adjust the wick to stop them smoking or smelling. because of the wsy thryre made.
    Best lamp i have is a little gimbaled paraffin boat cabin lamp.It doesnt smell or soot up.

Citronella oil btw is not recommended for indoor use.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 18-12--2016 at 07:51 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, Offgrid hero

I have a multi fuel MSR stove , I use that mainly with parraffin , though it will burn diesel ,petrol , aviation fuel , etc .

Parraffin is not as stinky as diesel if you spill a bit , and a lot lower fire hazard than petrol.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, NomadicRT, Offgrid hero

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by ma bungo
    I have a multi fuel MSR stove , I use that mainly with parraffin , though it will burn diesel ,petrol , aviation fuel , etc .

Parraffin is not as stinky as diesel if you spill a bit , and a lot lower fire hazard than petrol.
    So that stove runs on pressure like a Coleman?
    just a simple guy

I actually like the smell of paraffin; it's a warm kind of smell and reminds me of my hols as a child. I have to be careful of what fumes I expose the birds to though. They have very sensitive airways, and Darwin has COPD, while Dolly/Chucky has aspergillosis.

As I enjoy outside cooking, this isn't really a hardship for me though.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

I wonder if burning paraffin is any different than having a gas hob on etc?
    just a simple guy

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    So that stove runs on pressure like a Coleman?
    You pressurise the seperate fuel bottle . They are very good in third world , and are easy to strip down and clean/fix in the field , pack down very mall /light. .I have an MSR water filter too . Neither are cheap , but sometimes reliability is worth the cost .

The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

I think parraffin giving off more moisture would be the disadvantage over gas.

For the birds, probably. It's the particulates in the air. There are so many things I have to avoid. Some - air fresheners (yucky things) scented candles, cigarette and other smoke and pongy chemical cleaners are easy. I don't like them anyway.

I also cannot use joss sticks though, and have passed on all my Teflon and silicone cookware as they throw out toxic fumes which kill birds regularly. I also have to make sure that all files are working properly, which isn't a bad thing.

My lamp I use in my bedroom, any fumes there don't matter as it is only me in there.
    The following users think this post is groovy: MacMac, Offgrid hero

I didn't know that Teflon went airborne ?
    just a simple guy

Originally Posted by parrotandcrow
    I have a small paraffin stove, too. The opening for the oil is rusted shut though, and I haven't managed to free it. If I ever manage it will be fun for outdoor cooking. The smell reminds me of when I was wee and we went on camping holidays.
    Ive got a.little petrol stove has a distinct smell and reminds me of the roadside picnics when i was a kid, cooking fish .fingers and making butties.....the paraffin stove has a similar homely feel ...every once in a while it makes a glunk glunk noise and the feint warm burning paraffin smell reminds me of my grandparents home.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo, Offgrid hero, Rick69

I didn't know that Teflon went airborne ?
    You have to heat Teflon to something like 550f for pyrolysis to occur. During ordinary cooking the temperatures are usually much lower. However, if your pan boils dry or you leave your non stick frying pan untended, it then happens. Self cleaning ovens are the same.

People regularly come onto the bird forums as their birds have suddenly gone into respiratory failure, and found out too late that it's using the bog standard cookware that has killed them.

I believe that a woman in Germany sued an oven manufacturer last year, as the fumes killed her companion Bird. Said there ought to be a warning as it is so well known (by the makers of Teflon ware, not customers.).

I have no idea if it was successful though.

Isn 't teflon PTFE based, as a youngster , I remember if people machined ptfe they had to clean up scrupulously as if a fragment got in a roll up it could kill you ?

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    You pressurise the seperate fuel bottle . They are very good in third world , and are easy to strip down and clean/fix in the field , pack down very mall /light. .I have an MSR water filter too . Neither are cheap , but sometimes reliability is worth the cost .

I've been using Coleman stoves for years I think they used to hold the record for boiling a pint of water and where army issued but those msr's must be the modern lighter replacement.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

I've been using Coleman stoves for years I think they used to hold the record for boiling a pint of water and where army issued but those msr's must be the modern lighter replacement.

Think it will do a litre in about 3.8 minutes, does sound a bit like a jet though

Specs here

Last edited by ma bungo; 18-12--2016 at 08:36 PM.