THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Paraffin lamps and heaters

I'm a big Fan

Hurricane lamps work brilliantly indoors and are very cheap to run but you have to keep the wick turned down, and trimmed to the right level otherwise they smoke and with the wick turned up too high you are wasting fuel and producing less light, just smoke.

Years ago every house had oil lamps, they create a lovely ambience, I use mine all the time. I also have a primus stove and an Alladdin heater

Wicks, glasses and spares for everything to do with paraffin lamps and stoves from a company called Base Camp

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Last edited by Bernie; 05-07--2017 at 10:54 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Offgrid hero, parrotandcrow

I used to have parrafin lamos but its too hard to source paraffin nowdays

I'm going to have a go at making my own diesel/alcohol mix and test it this winter.
    Last edited by Offgrid hero; 08-07--2017 at 10:59 AM.
    just a simple guy

Heavenly Creature
    I just got a paraffin lamp off a skip! Now I need some oil to put in it, might try that diesel alcohol mix.

It's also supposed to burn hotter so it could make a smaller heater/lamp more viable.
    just a simple guy

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Elvis loved burg
    I used to have parrafin lamos but its too hard to source paraffin nowdays
    You can buy it on amazon or direct here -which is what i buy
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

The latest edition to casa off-grid

I almost can't wait for winter,room on top for a kettle
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, NomadicRT, Rick69, Wulfie

Brilliant...OGH ...Theyre good heaters i had two of them and you can get the parts for them easy.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

I've boiled my first kettle full of rainwater for a brew on top of the heater,it boiled faster than I expected,I like
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

I used to keepa huge camping kettle on top of mine and kept me in hot water all day in winter.

Heavenly Creature

I got this off a skip! Where's the best place to get the paraffin from?
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, Offgrid hero

If you can't buy paraffin​ online I'm not sure which diy chain is cheapest maybe an independent ironmongers local to you?.
    Last edited by Offgrid hero; 18-07--2017 at 11:43 AM.
    just a simple guy

Heavenly Creature
    Now I'm thinking about it, farm shop, doh!

Originally Posted by vanwoman84

I got this off a skip! Where's the best place to get the paraffin from?
    Cheapest paraffin supplier is Rye oils in Rye harbour,they deliver nationally but you might be able to collect from.their depot since youre near, if you give them a ring

Otherwise its hunt round for an old style hardware shop or pay through the nose at a DIY store.

There's an old paraffin iron on eBay I've never ironed anything in my life but still it could be useful as a very dangerous bed warmer,I think I will bid on it.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Wulfie

Anybody know if surgical spirit is the same as rubbing alcohol? I've had a look in my local agricultural suppliers and they only sell surgical spirit but no mention on the label of what % alcohol it is, I'm thinking in order to be labelled surgical spirit it has to be a high percentage alcohol?.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    It's mostly 90-odd percent meths, or ethanol, over here I think, with a few medical ingredients as well.. The US have a formulation called 'rubbing alcohol' which is mostly isopropyl alcohol, and a dose of wintergreen tossed in, hence the 'rubbing alcohol' label.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Offgrid hero

Surgical spirit should be almost pure alcohol. I use it for athletes foot and cleaning cuts ect. Stings like evil fck but does the job. Not for the faint hearted.
    Not all who wander are lost

95%Industrial Methylated Spirit/isopropyl alcohol

Methyl Salicylate

Castor Oil,
    Diethyl Phthalate.

They used to give it out to diabetics to keep reusesble syringes in before they swapped everyone to disposables.I loved getting high on it as a child when.my mother wasnt looking....as well as airfix glue evostick and that varnish you used to paint on model planes made of paper and it made the paper hard.....wicked stuff.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 21-09--2017 at 11:01 PM.