Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: When did you suspect that Religions are Mad?

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    was adopted into a methodist family,made to go to chapel three times every sunday,given a choice at 13 about going, never been in a religious building for a service since and as for 77 virgins haha just find ten over the age of consent
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, oldkeith

From dot. It was never a question in our family.

What is mad about about religions? And why?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    Einstein famously exposed the relationship between mass and energy. I wonder if one's soul, if it is a form of energy, could be converted into matter, and if so, what it would look like. If a soul has no mass, might it yet have structure, like the empty space in a labyrinth?

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by cricket

If only that was an answer!

Why do you think it is not?I was trying to find a picture i have seen of the milky way being full of the "labyrinth space" you mentioned.Even if it is not an answer fitting for your discerning perception of what an answer should be,it is utterly awesome that our planet is not even visible in that vast infinite energy field.What is our universe in,how is it in existence,why?At least Thor was simple.

If only that was an answer!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

Heavenly Creature

Even if it is not an answer fitting for your discerning perception of what an answer should be...
    Sorry, I thought you were addressing one of my questions. My bad.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Sorry, I thought you were addressing one of my questions. My bad.
    Saves her giving me earache at least.

Bless you Bryn

No gain without pain, eh?
    ....said the pessimist.The optimist said "no pain without gain"
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

Bryn...to the extent that mind and memory require matter then at least the subjective memories of a being continue to be imprinted in a material sense subject to a singular minds interpretation......

The others remains unanswerable unless science can disprove some of the theories that current engineering and technology keep on confirming.

Originally Posted by zendaze
    Bryn...to the extent that mind and memory require matter then at least the subjective memories of a being continue to be imprinted in a material sense subject to a singular minds interpretation......

The others remains unanswerable unless science can disprove some of the theories that current engineering and technology keep on confirming.
    Did Yoda dictate that ?
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Sootyfoot, zendaze

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Shroom
    Did Yoda dictate that ?
    Dunno. A more complex molecule perhaps?
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, zendaze

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    ... atheism is just as much a religion as any other because it involves a belief in something that cannot be proven.
    I've heard many theists claim the same thing, but that always strikes me as such a lazy putdown; at best it is uninformed. Atheism is nothing like a religion. An atheist follows no creed and there is no dogma, no weekly service, no collection plate, no call to convert others even ...

Atheism is not about belief, the clue is in the name. There is simply the absence of belief in an entity for which no empirical evidence of existence is currently available. How does that amount to a belief in anything, let alone "something that cannot be proven"? Were any credible evidence to become available I do not know of a single atheist who would not at least give it a look; I daresay I would and even Richard Dawkins has stated he would do so in "The God Delusion". As it stands though, I cannot for the life of me imagine what form such evidence could take. It would have to be something pretty impressive.

In answer to the OP's question, that's a hard one. I was inducted into a quasi-Christian cult at an early age and somehow I was credulous enough to believe whatever I was told. My family were all in pretty deep. Breaking free was painful and took a great toll on my mental health. To this day, some family relationships are fragile because of my lack of belief in some of their very odd notions. Realising the madness behind much of organised religion came to me much later in life. It started with a realisation that I didn't want what I was expected to desire out of an afterlife. The unravelling of my belief was complicated and took some pretty odd turns on the way.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Daisysmum, oldkeith, parrotandcrow, zendaze

Ooh shroom....I'm having a crack at expressing myself. I'm fairly convinced that you have a more engaging style and must be r capable of far more eloquent cyniscim. Iambic pentameter is a curse..... Not a yoda'ism.

Heavenly Creature

You just came across like that old horror was still bothering you and was occupying memory space he did not deserve.You are a stronger person than I as there are several memories i would prefer erased because sometimes , memories haunt in detrimental ways."The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"with jim Carrey is an interesting concept,of deleting such things.
    He deserves my 'memory space' because he unwittingly made my infant self question accepted religion.

You are quite right; the memory is a powerful one, and still evokes indignation. But he is mine, my own memory to call or dismiss at will. He does not haunt me
    . Wherever he is now, I hope he is finding enlightenment.

Re Bry's question about 'did man invent god, or vice versa', an indisputable answer would be important because it would either finish all religions at a blow; or it would tell us that we are part of someone's experiment, and we could then begin to look for the edges of the petri dish.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by zendaze
    From dot. It was never a question in our family.

What is mad about about religions? And why?
    What is not?
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, marshlander, zendaze

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    Re Bry's question about 'did man invent god, or vice versa', an indisputable answer would be important because it would either finish all religions at a blow
    Not sure that it would do that, or expose them as failed attempts at the job, leaving the goal of a properly defined religion open. I believe that the Bahai faith is an attempt along these lines, sure to fail because it attempted to appease other monotheistic religions by including them and suceeded in converting them into enemies. I'm not sure that a single omniscient god is such a great idea anyway, <...> can surely take any form that <...> chooses.

or it would tell us that we are part of someone's experiment, and we could then begin to look for the edges of the petri dish.
    Why "someone"? it would be arrogant, or at least hasty, to assume that we could reduce <...> to a form which could make sense as a person. What if the face of <...> is human conflict, or the smell of decay, or gravity?

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar

Originally Posted by marshlander
    I cannot for the life of me imagine what form such evidence could take. It would have to be something pretty impressive.
    There is a quote about advanced technology looking divine, makes sense to me. How could you differentiate between tech & divine magic?

Transcending

Originally Posted by marshlander
    I've heard many theists claim the same thing, but that always strikes me as such a lazy putdown; at best it is uninformed. Atheism is nothing like a religion. An atheist follows no creed and there is no dogma, no weekly service, no collection plate, no call to convert others even ...

Atheism is not about belief, the clue is in the name. There is simply the absence of belief in an entity for which no empirical evidence of existence is currently available. How does that amount to a belief in anything, let alone "something that cannot be proven"?
    We differ on this. Atheism is a belief that God does not exist, if I may quote from the BBC site;

"Atheists are people who believe that god or gods (or other supernatural beings) are man-made constructs, myths and legends or who believe that these concepts are not meaningful."

Admittedly, there are many definitions of Atheism, from a "lack of belief" to "belief that God does not exist", so this argument will never be settled here.

I define myself as agnostic, because although I find the possibility of God extremely small indeed, to state that God does not exist without any proof is a statement of belief rather than fact.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, marshlander, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    Atheism is a lack of belief in a god, Boaty; which is different to believing a god doesn't exist.

It isn't just semantics, belief is a positive thing, lack of belief is more akin to indifference.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, oldkeith

Heavenly Creature
    I've always seen Jesus as a hippy, even when I was young I thought he was a cool guy, but never an icon or a god-like thingie, although his sardine bbq's on the beach were legendry. He probably wouldn't like how he's used nowadays, I'd have skinned-up for him though, probably have , on his road to discovery

Originally Posted by Uncle jhad
    I've always seen Jesus as a hippy, even when I was young I thought he was a cool guy, but never an icon or a god-like thingie, although his sardine bbq's on the beach were legendry. He probably wouldn't like how he's used nowadays, I'd have skinned-up for him though, probably have , on his road to discovery
    Yeah, jesus wasn't a christian and buddha wasn't a buddhist ;-)
    Everything is not normal.

'When did you suspect that Religions are Mad? '....as a teenager shortly before i got kicked out of the church for being gay.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    'When did you suspect that Religions are Mad? '....as a teenager shortly before i got kicked out of the church for being gay.
    You were competition

What are you doing here you old tart?This is about heaven and stuff not where you come from.

Originally Posted by Roamer
    Saves her giving me earache at least.

Bless you Bryn
    A good point actually...was Hell invented as a social control tool?At what point did it get involved in religion?Does anyone know?
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith