THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: When did you suspect that Religions are Mad?

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Zendaze, do you ask if those millions who believe in a mad religion must necessarily be mad?

No, I don't think they are. People compartmentalise ideas, including religious concepts; they rarely analyse them.
    A few, no doubt, are religious nutters. I have met a few over the years, so I have no doubt they exist. But for most people who claim to be religious, they wear it like a coat; they put it on as occasion demands, and remove it also, without ever thinking about how it was made, or examining the quality of the seams which hold it together. Those who wish to learn more about their own religion usually have prescribed books to read, which will reinforce what they have learned already, thus keeping them on the strait and narrow path.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, marshlander

Sex
    Female
    My Awakening Ceremony When I Be Little Teenie Tiny Danann Say In Years Maybe I Be 5years....Where I Had Tiny Teenie Tattoo With Acient Wooden Tap Tap And Piercings That Be Pretty Silver Ear Tip Ear Cuffs In Each Ear And Silver Pretty Teenie Nipple Hoop Rings And Silver Pretty Belly Button Hoop Ring Was My First Sight Into What You Call Religion....But for me and Us Its More About Race/People/Tribe Etc And Our Beliefs ...Which Maybe I Think Could Be Thinking Of Called Religion...

But Then How Do People Tell Them Seperate? Because Is Not "Religion" A Belief Of People/Tribes Etc Ways And Ceremonies And Gods/Goddesses Etc?
    Or Is "Religion" A Different Thing?
    Because I Have Beliefs..Ways..Etc Etc...BUT To Me It Is NOT A "Religion" Because It Is "A Way Of Showing And Telling Who We Are And Our Ways" ...Just Like Say "Navajo" Is Not A (Religion) They Are A Tribe/People Etc And Not A "Religion" But They Have Their Own Beliefs And Ways Etc ...And Are NOT A "Religion" So To Me "BELIEFS AND WAYS" Are YES Very Similar But Could Be Seen And Thought Of As A "Religion" By Outside Eyes.
    So How Can You Really Tell The Difference Be Between
    "Religion And Beliefs"??
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis, oldkeith

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Perhaps here we are using the term 'Religion' to denote a set of religious ideas organised together into a bundle, together with rules, by people who want power over other people, and want everyone in their religion to observe their rules.

'Beliefs' are available to anybody, anywhere, and can be about anything. People can believe in a religion or not, as they choose. They can believe in historically-religious figures or ethical leaders without belonging to any religion. Beliefs can be cultural, tribal, and most important, personal.

Both terms do not need any kind of proof. Beliefs cover a much wider field than religions, so are more free-ranging and more individual.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

I may find people maddening but rarely find people to be mad but in fairness to myself I'm somewhat more tolerant and liberal than most......I find religion somewhat retrogressive but have never found reason nor justification to take umbridge in personal social situations.

I do find that there are far greater madnesses slipping under the radar......pretty difficult for folk to keep a level head though if they choose to take the blinkers off.........

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Agreed there are many greater madnesses slipping under the radar, but we can't deal with them all in one thread. Or even a few of them.

I got whole books on those things, and each one of them only deals with a few aspects of the overall problems.

Whether religion is mad could fill several threads on its own, each dealing with particular aspects and analyses of the subject. We have done well to keep to generalities, I guess.

I found the ?'oxford companion to philosophy'? helpful. I did read some longer treatises .....but found it wasn't really necessary..... I've got to take the pills.

Not my fault really but I am supposed to claim self governance (autonomy) and pretend.

Capitalism is like a religion.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, oldkeith

Sex
    Female
    I Also Think
    "That It Is "THE PEOPLE" That Turn (Religion) Into "MADNESS" ....Because "How They Read It And TURN AND TWIST IT " Into Something More "DARKER" The More They Become Obsessed With It ...

They Read And See More Than It Says ..They See More Than There Is To See And They "Twist And Turn It" To What They Find Not Acceptable...And What They Hate In Life And Hate In Peoples Lifestyles"...

Because I Think That "
    All Religions Grow Like The Flower Stem From "A BELIEF" Of Their People/Race/Tribe/Origin/Ancestors Etc Etc ..And Over The Tick Tock Of Time Just Like The Flower Stem It Grows..Blossoms And Finally Changes Into A Flower....So To Me ...The "Beliefs" Has Changed Into "Religion" After Many People Twist And Change To Suit Their Growing Followers Not Of The "Original Tribe/Race/People/Ancesters Etc Etc But By "Outsiders" And So Sadly Something That Is And Was Seen As A Beautiful Belief...A Beautiful Culture Of Ways Of Its People/Tribe/Ancestors Etc Etc Into A
    "Darker Madness".. That Has Grown And Infected Others With Its Madness.
    So Then Instead Of Growing Into Something Beautiful To See And Understand And Follow With Pride And Love....
    It Sadly Has Been Turned Into "Dark Uggly Madness" Infecting And Spreading Hate Cruelty And Crazyness"
    Through And Into Its Followers ..Who Then Go Out And Act And Spread Their "Madness And Uggliness"
    Even Leading To Death And Destruction Of The "Non Believers Of Their So Called New Named "Religion" And In The New Man Made Word Of "Religion"..

Thats Another Way I Be Seeing And Feeling About
    "The Madness Of Religion" .
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, nomis, oldkeith

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Son House had a few words to say on the topic of religion:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.