Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: When did you suspect that Religions are Mad?

Heavenly Creature

When did you suspect that Religions are Mad?

Here's a nice topic for Christmas philosophising, for the agnostics and atheists amongst us
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

At what age did you first begin to suspect that the religion you were being taught in school was mad? Or was it later than that, at college, perhaps?

Or further on in life, when you started to question the multifarious propaganda that we are bombarded with every day?

For me, I guess it started in primary school, at about age six or seven. We had a priest come in to teach Christianity every Tuesday morning, I think it was, and he was a complete religious nutter.

He always brought with him lurid handouts depicting such peculiarities as "The Blood of the Lamb"; and: "Though Your Sins be Black, They Will Be Washed as White as Snow"; and many similar gems.
    'Tracts' I think they were called. Always in Red Black and White. Always trying to scare you to death, and this at six or seven years of age!

I knew this guy was mad, and the stuff he spouted was mad, and I felt scared that for about an hour every Tuesday morning we were left in his care. His 'lesson' was so unlike all the others in school, I felt he had somehow been given access under false pretences.

He seemed to love making kids cry, who had given wrong answers to his questions, particularly little girls. I felt so angry about this jerk I can still feel it now, over sixty years on. From that time on I looked on religion, and later on, all religions, in a different light.

So that's my first awakened experience, what's yours?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Danann, julianthegypsy

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    I cant ever remember being religious, but when I was about 5 ,I went to sunday school once out of curiosity, I had to make a thing for a 'native' to live in out of twigs and plastercine, which was fun and you were allowed to keep it except for the plastercine , which was crap , so I never went back . Most of my RE teachers at school were proper nutters , and I took it as o level as it was a subject you could usually muck around in . My O level teacher was a plain clothes nun , and I was a bit peeved as she reconed if you did a project (I had been told I was only CSE material ) you could not fail . I did one on Rastafari and she said it was not a proper religion , and I ended up with unclassified in my results .
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Ecobob, julianthegypsy, oldkeith

When they said if you blow yourself and others up you get 77 virgins in the afterlife....

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Ecobob, Lightbringer, likahamadoolihan, oldkeith, Uncle jhad

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by ma bungo
    I cant ever remember being religious, but when I was about 5 ,I went to sunday school once out of curiosity, I had to make a thing for a 'native' to live in out of twigs and plastercine, which was fun and you were allowed to keep it except for the plastercine , which was crap , so I never went back . Most of my RE teachers at school were proper nutters , and I took it as o level as it was a subject you could usually muck around in . My O level teacher was a plain clothes nun , and I was a bit peeved as she reconed if you did a project (I had been told I was only CSE material ) you could not fail . I did one on Rastafari and she said it was not a proper religion , and I ended up with unclassified in my results .
    Ma failed a CSE, na na na na na

I got a GCE pass in RE, because the guy I walked to school with was gonna be a priest, so on the morning of the exam I got him to tell me some stories about god and stuff on the half hour walk. Then went into the exam an wrote all down
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, julianthegypsy, ma bungo, oldkeith

I went to church,sunday school,church choir,even became a sunday school teacher..hit my teens and thought,wtf,summat dont hang right here!my nan marched me to the vicar as i insisted on wearing my biker jacket and jeans in later years,and said "tell her she cant come to church dressed like this"..the vicars relpy..."shes here,i dont care what she wears"..lovely bloke..good on ya rev,hehe!..anyway all down hill from then.xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket, oldkeith

Heavenly Creature
    I lost my religious beliefs just now, Rainbomama was a sunday school teacher?
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, julianthegypsy, Lightbringer, marshlander, oldkeith

Heavenly Creature
    My father , as a boy, was training in the priesthood, he left after his mother hung herself, for having an affair with their local priest
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

This old manic bible thumper has been worm fodder for a very long time now.He closed his eyes,his life ended.Erase him.He is gone.x
    [QUOTE=college, perhaps
    He seemed to love making kids cry, who had given wrong answers to his questions, particularly little girls. I felt so angry about this jerk I can still feel it now, over sixty years on. From that time on I looked on religion, and later on, all religions, in a different lightSo that's my first awakened experience, what's yours?[/QUOTE]

When I was small, like ma. I also was curious and went to sunday school,mainly as they had icecream afterwards....positive reinforcement in hindsight.St.Francis of Assisi was my hero because he looked after the animals.Then I grew and heard of Northern Ireland,protestants and catholics killing each other in the name of god.I knew a god would never say this was okay.Then I looked harder.Religious wars.Holy wars.I do believe that Budda,Jesus,Ghandi,Mohammed were all great prophets along with many others through the ages.Peace ,harmony and justice seemed predominant teachings.The present day comprehensives...here now in your schools...have the Giddeons in the first year,Without parental permission to show slide shows saying that anyone not with jesus is a "lost soul."My son was in despair over these morons.School said "whats the fuss".Then in Primary I remember the local Cof E going to school and doing bible lessons ...without parental permission.Subliminal programming.When I called it BRAINWASHING the school patted me on the head and told me not to fuss. So I took my son to the church responsible and told the vicar that if he was going to force his opinion of spirituality upon my child at school, then here was my child to tell him his beliefs in the vicars workplace.He just legged it....probably to buy garlic.An unbaptised child is lost in limbo, purgatory if they pass...what a load of utter ****.I have asked my son since if he felt okay about that and he said he doesnt think any god would be so vain.I have always tried to answer all his questions about different religions without bias.Anything that preaches segregation or discrimination of any kind I feel to be very wrong and what holy aware spiritual person, could ever advocate killing and maiming others?I have seen the pope speak at Ninian Park,seen Billy Graham preach live.all interesting experiences.I remain unmoved.
    Last edited by cricket; 25-12--2016 at 09:06 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, oldkeith, quintessence

Heavenly Creature
    Never had religion forced on us. Church seemed natural, choir was a way to get a couple of shillings extra for weddings, and often, cake.

Roll forward to middle teenage years and the realisation that they can't all be right (religions I mean). Ergo, either one is right and the rest wrong, or they are all wrong, wrong in being deistic or wrong in claiming exclusive rights to god. It probably came to me on a bus.

I would have to be unbeleivably arrogant to assert that there is no god, but I don't know where god is, unless it is within all things, which sort of accords with a lot of Hindu teaching and with a lot of Buddhist teaching. I can't help thinking that religion has tremendous power for good within it. But I don't buy the cant at all, and you can keep the incense, sacrifices, prayer wheels, crucifixes, swastikas, etc etc.

Sorry, rambling OT again!

So the big questions are, did man invent god or vice versa, and does it matter.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Daisysmum, oldkeith

Did the choirboy bit (2'6 weddings and funerals), Sunday school, Confirmation ect. being pushed through by parents who like me now only did births, marriage and death and I still wonder why. To me now there is a bigger Picture than the sheep bleating to the call of various religions. The tossers in fancy dress at the stones, the church, the pomp ect of any religion which goes beyond normality to me is wrong. Those cnts have the 'look at me' syndrome as opposed to look above or about. They are not a channel to the Creator, to me that is inside everyone if they wish to look.
    If I want to see my God I stand on a hill with the wind in my face or a wood amongst birdsong not anything manmade built upon fear and servitude with idols to the rich adorning the walls.
    Last edited by Wulfie; 25-12--2016 at 11:17 PM.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket, Ecobob, oldkeith, Rick69, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by cricket
    I have seen the pope speak at Ninian Park,seen Billy Graham preach live.all interesting experiences.I remain unmoved.
    Likewise, I found BG slightly threatening, but I was of an impressionable age. I would go to see Pope Francis if the opportunity arose. And/or the Dalai Llama.

what holy aware spiritual person, could ever advocate killing and maiming others?
    What if you could kill one to save a dozen?
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, oldkeith

Heavenly Creature
    Thanks for the interesting replies; it's something that either happens or doesn't, I guess. A kind of non-religious awakening. Some events may trigger it for some, other folk find early suspicions gradually confirmed.

Like many of us on here, I too have studied, over the years, many religions of the world. Like Cricket says, those who originally preached or advised often meant very well, there is little doubt of that. But almost without exception their ideas have been taken and distorted and fossillised into a rigid hierarchal structure that is meant to control from above, and to demand compliance from those within it, and in some cases, those outside it, also.

By the way Cricket, I never erase people or events. Everything that happens has a lesson to give, for us to learn from in some way or another. If you forget or erase the event, you may erase the lesson too. Not everybody is the same, of course, but for me it is always valuable to remember.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, cricket, marshlander, Wulfie

Transcending
    I can't remember ever believing in God. Of course I went to church parade with the cubs and scouts, and did the compulsory RE at school, but right from the beginning it was just something I had to do because it was the rules, I never gave God any thought at all.

I'm a lifelong agnostic, not an atheist - atheism is just as much a religion as any other because it involves a belief in something that cannot be proven.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, cricket, oldkeith

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    I think it was a slow realisation for me, no real sudden moment that I can pinpoint. If it looks like crap, smells like crap, you don't need to taste it to be sure!
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, oldkeith, Sootyfoot

I also would love to meet the Dalai Lama it will be my last gadabout to go sit under a tree for several months in Daramsala
    I truly hope i get to do that.To kill one to save a dozen.....made me think hard but i would need to consider the circumstances and consequences fully.If that one had a gun about to kill the others,i would act to protect the vulnerable no doubt.Billy Graham I found to be more of a charismatic showman and he did generate a definate crowd hysteria type control.Scarey but mesmerising.

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    Likewise, I found BG slightly threatening, but I was of an impressionable age. I would go to see Pope Francis if the opportunity arose. And/or the Dalai Llama.

What if you could kill one to save a dozen?
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith

You just came across like that old horror was still bothering you and was occupying memory space he did not deserve.You are a stronger person than I as there are several memories i would prefer erased because sometimes , memories haunt in detrimental ways."The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"with jim Carrey is an interesting concept,of deleting such things.

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    Thanks for the interesting replies; it's something that either happens or doesn't, I guess. A kind of non-religious awakening.
    By the way Cricket, I never erase people or events. Everything that happens has a lesson to give, for us to learn from in some way or another. If you forget or erase the event, you may erase the lesson too. Not everybody is the same, of course, but for me it is always valuable to remember.

What youd do for a few shillings and a bit of cake hey.
    I believe that man evolved with a knowing/fear/respect of the unknown...dark outside the cave,scarey tigers out there,monsters,beings,powerful beings.Thor the thundergod ,one of my favourites and all the other myriad gods ,demi gods,mini gods over the millenia that have always been used to explain the unknown and also very handy to exert power over social groups.A witch doctor/medicine man still holds big belief and power in some places today.I seem to remember a documentary on this whereby a medicine/holy man took the babies born with "bad spirits" from parents for a fee, to return them to the spirit world.They went over a bridge i think.Money,power,social control all wound up in religion.Humans I think tend to be egotistical beings,who think far too much and cannot stand the simple fact that when we pass away,we close our eyes and simply cease to be.That energy/spirit cannot end but remains in different form is scientifically undeniable.It is more palatable to think of angels looked after somehow by god in the afterlife,than dust and bones.I have had many unexplained spiritual experiences though,enough to leave every possibility open in my mind.Is it not time though that if there is a"god" it stepped in and sorted us out and ended the destruction of our amazing home.?

Never had religion forced on us. Church seemed natural, choir was a way to get a couple of shillings extra for weddings and cake.....
    So the big questions are, did man invent god or vice versa, and does it matter.
    If you dont mind ,why would it matter?
    Last edited by cricket; 26-12--2016 at 08:59 PM.

Heavenly Creature

What youd do for a few shillings and a bit of cake hey.
    I was cleaning an old ladies windows and she said that, funny thing, it turned out she was talking to herself. Talk about embarrassing!

That energy/spirit cannot end but remains in different form is scientifically undeniable.

yes, I remember that, or some of it. Conservation of spirits? I'm drawing a blank, at least as far as scientific evidence is concerned. Where should I look?

Einstein famously exposed the relationship between mass and energy. I wonder if one's soul, if it is a form of energy, could be converted into matter, and if so, what it would look like. If a soul has no mass, might it yet have structure, like the empty space in a labyrinth?
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot
    When they said if you blow yourself and others up you get 77 virgins in the afterlife....
    Too high a price and too rich a reward for me. What could I get for, say, stubbing my toe?
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Sootyfoot

Too high a price and too rich a reward for me. What could I get for, say, stubbing my toe?

Was that you ?Doing my windows last week?There is a saying....pushing up daises...that explains better than I.

I was cleaning an old ladies windows and she said that, funny thing, it turned out she was talking to herself. Talk about embarrassing!

yes, I remember that, or some of it. Conservation of spirits? I'm drawing a blank, at least as far as scientific evidence is concerned. Where should I look?

Einstein famously exposed the relationship between mass and energy. I wonder if one's soul, if it is a form of energy, could be converted into matter, and if so, what it would look like. If a soul has no mass, might it yet have structure, like the empty space in a labyrinth?

I like some of the rituals that involve light and sharing. There's not nearly enough of them though. I celebrate Xmas at home with familiar things. Lights. I like da lights.
    I knew when I was six that religion was playing pretend because the preparation for first communion was exactly the same as preparing to be in the class play. Memorise this; wear that; walk here, stop there. Don't mess up or everyone will hate you and you'll go to hell. Do well and there's a party afterward. AND THERE WAS.
    The real death knell of belief was feeling like a sentient fart in every house of worship I went into, completely excess to requirements. Including Stonehenge, sadly. I also feel that way in health food stores, pariah! Trafe!
    I'm making a series of what I call Household Gauds that will help me think through some of the finer points of the journey from Catholicism to Household Gaudism. HG is really simple. You believe in whatever you want: the only rule is to keep it to yourself.

Ponies, the bitter animal.
    I are nize ponie.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, marshlander, oldkeith

Originally Posted by Maragold

Ponies, the bitter animal.
    Is that like in Flavour, or attitude?

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Heavenly Creature

No gain without pain, eh?