THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Does "Hippy" = Vegan/Vegan sympathies?

Does "Hippy" = Vegan/Vegan sympathies?

Happy new year 😊 Happy Veganuary. I assume we all see further than "The system" and as such we understand what's necessary, just and morally right or wrong. Oppression, suffering, taking lives, these are all things to take a stand against; so for us enlightened folks, does this understanding naturally carry over to all living, sentient, feeling beings? It does with me. Peace ✌😊🌱🌏💚

Being under the "hippy" banner is a thing persons gravitate towards and asign themselves all on their own.What does "hippy"mean?I am sure I read somewhere a definition of the hippy ethos by a grand old 1960s ish veteran of hippydom.No doubt the oracles on ukh will enlighten.I have met many "hippys" who I would not think come near the ethos,but that is only my interpretation of it.I do have vegan sympathy and as I am getting more aware,feel more and more that this is the right path...for me.If I was more confident that I could easily have sustained my family nutritionally on a vegan diet I would have tried harder to do so.I have no doubt that very many more persons would be vegan, if a "vegan kitchen wonder" cooked up good food every day for them.I have spent much time protecting the rights/welfare of those without a voice,but many of my vegetarian fellows,on badger business
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for example wore leather boots.Also if you are in a truly survival situation with no food and a plump bunny hops into view,would you consider its right to life before your own survival?Maybe its just down to individual perception ,I find far more in common with the folks on ukh than anywhere else though.If I need talk to badger folk though I go to a more specific rendevous elsewhere.I dont think its the diet or clothes or music so much as a challenging,outside the box,non conformist ,aware state of mind...for me and being vegan is a part of this movement but not the whole.
    Last edited by cricket; 01-01--2017 at 12:49 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: BigNich, Lightbringer, Wulfie

Transcending
    I've gone right off the hippy label, to be honest, because it seems to denote tones of superiority? I don't consider myself enlightened or as taking a stand against the system (quite honestly it's a system we all rely on in various forms, roads, water, goods and materials, health care and so on and without it I think both myself and my son would have been dead a long time ago), it's more that there are aspects of the system that don't work for me. But I think there's a lot of hypocrisy? That might be too strong a word but, for example, we're all accessing this forum on some sort of device or other. It's technology we can all live without and it is, generally speaking, not an ethical choice to buy. A lot of the components come from conflict zones/are mined via slave/child labour/come from sources that aren't being properly maintained or replenished. Many products are put together in sweat shops and then sold via companies in the UK that don't pay taxes and/or employ people who aren't properly paid and don't have decent protection in the form of contracts, sick pay, holiday pay and so on. The internet itself has become a massive source of untaxed income, an easy way to track people and has killed off a lot of small shops and businesses. So I kind of wonder if the whole concept of 'hippy' has just become mute within a modern society?

Sorry, I've wandered off the point a bit! It's interesting to think about. I'm not veggie or vegan - keep trying for both but keep feeling ill so I've obviously still not got the balance right. Put another way, I've met vegans who I wouldn't describe as the slightest bit anti-conformist or anti the system, quite the opposite. Equally I know people who I would say are quite atypical in their outlook and they love meat (and there are quite a few off grid, hunt your own type people on here).

So I don't know. Does it become another way of labelling and conforming? If you do x, y and z you're a hippy, if you do a, b and c you're not? Do you naturally create another system when you reject the main one? Maybe that goes back to some sort of tribal thing, that we feel we need to belong somewhere because it's safer? Plenty to think about
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Personally I am just trying to kind of improve myself day by day (and not managing it at all more often than not). Which doesn't answer your question at all, lol! Sorry!
    The following users think this post is groovy: BigNich, cricket, Wulfie

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    being called a hippy is just a label, personally I know many people who are vegans, veggies etc, but are they hippies? I live in a truck often eat veggie or vegan but not exclusively. In fact nobody I know calls themselves a hippy and that includes van and truck dwellers and those who live in bricks,also am not sure just what a hippy is supposed to look like or act.
    The following users think this post is groovy: BigNich, cricket, Lightbringer, MacMac

How can there ever be a definative answer?Its all grist for the mind mill,things to ponder on a wet New Years day.A good point though about hippy?me, hating the whole corupt money machine and sat on rear drinking tea and tapping keys assembled where?made of what?run by a nuclear facility down the road.Its because we dont need to be out there building shelters,fighting off bears and scavenging berrys and stuff,that we have time to debate who ,what, when we are anything.I also probably and certainly my son would be long gone if it wasnt for "the system"Hope your flat and your first xmas there was wonderfull.

Originally Posted by GivingItThought
    But I think there's a lot of hypocrisy? That might be too strong a word but, for example, we're all accessing this forum on some sort of device or other. It's technology we can all live without and it is, generally speaking, not an ethical choice to buy. A lot of the components come from conflict zones/are mined via slave/child labour/come from sources that aren't being properly maintained or replenished.
    So I don't know. Does it become another way of labelling and conforming? If you do x, y and z you're a hippy, if you do a, b and c you're not? Do you naturally create another system when you reject the main one? Maybe that goes back to some sort of tribal thing, that we feel we need to belong somewhere because it's safer? Plenty to think about
    Personally I am just trying to kind of improve myself day by day (and not managing it at all more often than not). Which doesn't answer your question at all, lol! Sorry!
    The following users think this post is groovy: BigNich

Originally Posted by wandering gypsy
    being called a hippy is just a label, personally I know many people who are vegans, veggies etc, but are they hippies? I live in a truck often eat veggie or vegan but not exclusively. In fact nobody I know calls themselves a hippy and that includes van and truck dwellers and those who live in bricks,also am not sure just what a hippy is supposed to look like or act.
    same as that Harry , i eat meat if its about (roasting a chicken in a halogen oven as i am on a hook up as we speak)but mostly dont bother as i have no fridge on the bus , I cook often for veggie friends and have learnt to make it vegan so that there aint a few that miss out.
    I am bald , so I dont look like a hippy but I do live in a wheelie house , wonder what I am ?

as this aint on the veggie /vegan part of the forum I would like to add that it seems a lot of peeps confuse being 'hippy' with 'Buddhism'

What gypsy said made me realise I have never called myself one,other people have.Also I am as are we all, diverse in all,especially if we wander about.Scavenging and wombling lowers the ethical boudarys driven by need.Somedays I am just glad to be offered food and dont look too close."Dont look a gift horse in the mouth."
    The following users think this post is groovy: wandering gypsy

To me 'hippy' is a state of mind if you really want to use labels and connects with your innerself to do what you see is right towards Nature and each other. We are omnivores at the end of the day, it's what we were created as no matter how much you try and giftwrap it, you've still got meat ripping teeth.

It's about how we act as omnivores which matters and hippy slots in there just nicely.
    Not all who wander are lost

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    I'd like to think that Hippy = Vegan but no, not generally. I think though that a decent modern hippy (the term has changed a lot since the 60s) is aware of how their actions affect others and if they consume meat they do so more consciously. The result of that is less overall consumption and suffering and perhaps the first step towards a more informed lifestyle.

I nearly said ethical but that's another tricky word. The hunter gather types on here will probably tell you that their method leads to less suffering for the animals, less wastage and that the animals will have had a happier time before death. It's all a matter of perspective.

I accept that I couldn't be vegan without the benefits of modern society, a society that I don't fully approve of, but if something exists within that society that can improve my life or that of another creature I think it should be made use of.
    The following users think this post is groovy: BigNich, cricket

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar

Originally Posted by FriedOnion
    I accept that I couldn't be vegan without the benefits of modern society
    I actually think there was a tipping point - that if we go far enough back into prehistory, living without animal products would have been quite easy ... but agriculture, commodification and slavery came along and changed everything.

A bit like human slavery - the world as we know it wouldn't exist without the slave trade, but if it was never an option, the structure of our civilisation might look entirely different.
    The following users think this post is groovy: BigNich, cricket

Originally Posted by cricket
    Being under the "hippy" banner is a thing persons gravitate towards and asign themselves all on their own.What does "hippy"mean?I am sure I read somewhere a definition of the hippy ethos by a grand old 1960s ish veteran of hippydom.No doubt the oracles on ukh will enlighten.I have met many "hippys" who I would not think come near the ethos,but that is only my interpretation of it.I do have vegan sympathy and as I am getting more aware,feel more and more that this is the right path...for me.If I was more confident that I could easily have sustained my family nutritionally on a vegan diet I would have tried harder to do so.I have no doubt that very many more persons would be vegan, if a "vegan kitchen wonder" cooked up good food every day for them.I have spent much time protecting the rights/welfare of those without a voice,but many of my vegetarian fellows,on badger business
    for example wore leather boots.Also if you are in a truly survival situation with no food and a plump bunny hops into view,would you consider its right to life before your own survival?Maybe its just down to individual perception ,I find far more in common with the folks on ukh than anywhere else though.If I need talk to badger folk though I go to a more specific rendevous elsewhere.I dont think its the diet or clothes or music so much as a challenging,outside the box,non conformist ,aware state of mind...for me and being vegan is a part of this movement but not the whole.
    I agree that Hippy="Boho chic" for a lot of people, playing with the idea of personal freedom at festivals etc. With the hypothetical bunny survival question, It's unlikely to happen but I think I'd marvel at it's adaptability and keep striving to survive myself. The opposite isn't hypothetical as we do live in a society that requires no killing or suffering to survive, so why would an individual choose to be part of a system that causes it?

The hippies were right; gratitude, compassion and altruism are the way.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    To me 'hippy' is a state of mind if you really want to use labels and connects with your innerself to do what you see is right towards Nature and each other. We are omnivores at the end of the day, it's what we were created as no matter how much you try and giftwrap it, you've still got meat ripping teeth.

It's about how we act as omnivores which matters and hippy slots in there just nicely.
    I think we have evolved socially as opportunistic omnivores, sped on with fire and weapon creation but evolutionary biology would point to us being natural herbivores. Our teeth are more like a horses than a lions, and to eat meat we need it prepared with tools, cooked, seasoned. There's no mechanical way our teeth are getting through a deer's hide after a chase over the moors for instance, not that we'd catch it
    The hippies were right; gratitude, compassion and altruism are the way.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Originally Posted by BigNich
    There's no mechanical way our teeth are getting through a deer's hide after a chase over the moors for instance, not that we'd catch it
    but we can easily tear open the fur and flesh of many small mammals with our hands and teeth. Easily without exerting our energy reserve. Why would we risk injury and defeat chasing deer, when clearly it's too fast, too strong, too big to consume? Unless we share the challenge and the meat. Evolution is remarkable. We can not say for sure how animal species were distributed in those early days. But I can imagine animals had not grown to fear man like they would other predator species. If the were as complacent as rats can be, catching food for our ancestors could have been as easy as a walk in the park. All you need is a brain to outsmart them. Hands to capture, fingers and teeth to dissect, teeth to consume.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.