THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Fox Hunting back on the agenda for 2017

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Of course. Just took at the pheasant shoot industry.
    I often wonder what it must do to the ecosystem when such vast numbers of birds are suddenly released in one area. The wild local birds must really struggle to survive..

Some groups are now using trails of grain soaked in aniseed to get the pheasants off the land where the shoots take place , and to try to disperse them a bit. Apparently pheasants are partial to a bit of aniseed
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, essexcamper

Originally Posted by emmadilemma
    I often wonder what it must do to the ecosystem when such vast numbers of birds are suddenly released in one area. The wild local birds must really struggle to survive
    Well yes and no tbh, as you say a massive influx of the game birds will be a shock to the ecosystem but on the flip side, the cover crops that are planted to hold the birds in particular places and the barrels of corn there for the same reason really benefits our indigenous species.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Death threats???Who?When?Tedious?Responding to forum posts are entirely your choice.Surrender?Mutual silence?You ever hear a saying.....Death Before Dishonour?...In the face of injustice,illegal activity,cruelty etc I wont ever be silent.Maybe you might find more solace in Horse and Hound than pestering in a persistant way a person who irritates you simply because they speak the truth.

cricket, I'll trade my schoolboy rhetoric for your shrillness and won't even mention the death threats if we can draw a line under what has become a rather tedious exchange. How about it?
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, frame69

I never thought of that thanks.We were near these releases a few years ago.The keeper was lazy in feeding near the road, as on the way to work there were very many killed and injured on the road at 7am every morning.After a recent pre xmas shoot in another place, we saw very many confused birds wandering about on the ground,I wonder many survive the winter going from fed to forage overnight.I dont even know why they breed them now there are so many.Also I would think the airborne predators and foxes etc must be well fed as the pheasants dont seem wary at all.Do the RSPB have anything to say I wonder and what about Avian flu.It seems weird when everyone local was told to keep birds,fowl, on shutdown recently due to bird flu scares.Thanks.

Originally Posted by emmadilemma
    I often wonder what it must do to the ecosystem when such vast numbers of birds are suddenly released in one area. The wild local birds must really struggle to survive..

Some groups are now using trails of grain soaked in aniseed to get the pheasants off the land where the shoots take place , and to try to disperse them a bit. Apparently pheasants are partial to a bit of aniseed
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, frame69

Originally Posted by cricket
    .Do the RSPB have anything to say I wonder

I think I shall continue to disappoint everyone and say that we are neither anti nor pro shooting. We are neutral on the ethics of shooting. And, guess what, we have been for over a hundred years.

Never judge someone by the opinion of others.

Transcending
    From the same document:

Many lowland farmers also manage their land for pheasant and partridge shooting. The RSPB is neutral on the ethics of shooting wild or released birds yet we are often misrepresented in the shooting press as anti-shooting. This is wrong, unhelpful and unnecessarily imposes a strain on our relationships with some in the farming community.Yes, we condemn wildlife crime including any persecution of protected birds of prey. And yes, we continue to work with the police to end illegal killing which remains prevalent in the uplands, threatening the future of hen harrier, and still occurs on some lowland estates. But, the contribution progressive shoots can make to supporting threatened wildlife is significant, and we are delighted to help them further.This isn’t a contradiction. We simply do whatever nature needs and will work with anyone that wants to help wildlife.Plenty of farmers with shoots provide beneficial habitat management for wildlife and we recognise and value this. In areas where good habitat management is combined with low release densities, or in areas that work to promote breeding populations of gamebirds, the impacts can be very positive. For the grey partridge, work by shoot owners through farm management is really important for the species’ long-term recovery.Game estate habitat management includes woodland sky-lighting, planting cover crops, creating conservation headlands, and more. Recent figures from the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust (GWCT) show that shoots create or maintain 7,000 ha of hedgerows and 100,000 ha of copses (see
    ). That’s a lot of land for wildlife. It is likely that game estate management, including farmland habitat management and targeted predator control can increase the numbers of some birds, for example ground- nesting species such as lapwing and grey partridge. Research shows that woodland management for pheasants can increase the numbers of some bird groups, such as warblers (see
    ) and estate management also benefits some small mammals, particularly wood mice and bank voles (see
    ).

Heavenly Creature

I wont ever be silent.
    oh dear, this isn't going to end well...

Maybe you might find more solace in Horse and Hound...
    now, what can we call that literary device? Surely not sarcasm?

...than pestering in a persistant way a person who irritates you...
    Why on earth should I pester a person who irritates me? I was merely hoping not to have to avoid you!

...simply because they speak the truth.
    sadly this truth of yours is not universal.

Originally Posted by wurzel

I think I shall continue to disappoint everyone and say that we are neither anti nor pro shooting. We are neutral on the ethics of shooting. And, guess what, we have been for over a hundred years.

Me too. A gun is a tool in the right hands. I like my tools to be good quality, functioning and available at most times. It's a shame the Country we reside in isn't much bigger and much wilder. I don't find a need to shoot more than I need but on these organised shoots, nothing is wasted.
    Last edited by alices wonderland; 13-01--2017 at 04:00 PM.

I find it very strange that a person claiming to be intelligent and who is certainly insistent on dominating others,or just disobediant females? is on a public forum openly denying truth.I have no interest whatsoever in anything other than truth.What is not going to end well?You are just another punter on a public forum ,how whatever you are on about is of no interest to me.

oh dear, this isn't going to end well...

now, what can we call that literary device? Surely not sarcasm?

Why on earth should I pester a person who irritates me? I was merely hoping not to have to avoid you!

sadly this truth of yours is not universal.
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper

Heavenly Creature

I find it very strange that a person claiming to be intelligent and who is certainly insistent on dominating others,or just disobediant females? is on a public forum openly denying truth.I have no interest whatsoever in anything other than truth.What is not going to end well?You are just another punter on a public forum ,how whatever you are on about is of no interest to me.
    No thanks, I've already had some.

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    From the same document:

Many lowland farmers also manage their land for pheasant and partridge shooting. The RSPB is neutral on the ethics of shooting wild or released birds yet we are often misrepresented in the shooting press as anti-shooting. This is wrong, unhelpful and unnecessarily imposes a strain on our relationships with some in the farming community.Yes, we condemn wildlife crime including any persecution of protected birds of prey. And yes, we continue to work with the police to end illegal killing which remains prevalent in the uplands, threatening the future of hen harrier, and still occurs on some lowland estates. But, the contribution progressive shoots can make to supporting threatened wildlife is significant, and we are delighted to help them further.This isn’t a contradiction. We simply do whatever nature needs and will work with anyone that wants to help wildlife.Plenty of farmers with shoots provide beneficial habitat management for wildlife and we recognise and value this. In areas where good habitat management is combined with low release densities, or in areas that work to promote breeding populations of gamebirds, the impacts can be very positive. For the grey partridge, work by shoot owners through farm management is really important for the species’ long-term recovery.Game estate habitat management includes woodland sky-lighting, planting cover crops, creating conservation headlands, and more. Recent figures from the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust (GWCT) show that shoots create or maintain 7,000 ha of hedgerows and 100,000 ha of copses (see
    ). That’s a lot of land for wildlife. It is likely that game estate management, including farmland habitat management and targeted predator control can increase the numbers of some birds, for example ground- nesting species such as lapwing and grey partridge. Research shows that woodland management for pheasants can increase the numbers of some bird groups, such as warblers (see
    ) and estate management also benefits some small mammals, particularly wood mice and bank voles (see
    ).
    About 32 million pheasants are released each year; (almost half the UK population) most only have a few weeks of being in the wild before they get shot. These are not wild creatures they are farmed animals that have a Pavlovian attachment to the hand that feeds them. Dig deep in your conscience is that right!. I am serious about the reality that we create. It is a mass slaughter, and bearing in mind most of the people on the 'pegs' are there for either social or 'sporting reasons' ie its a game to them even the word for the slaughter is 'game'. Do they realise what they do...no it is almost a dogma. They are blinkered to the death. To hunt for food when hungry for food is to accept that we are part-of. To kill for sport or sacrifice is not part-of it is out-of and separate from. It is your choice, but don't become part of that group that in the evening whistle in and feed their birds with a true nurturing feel for their birds or talk of the 'good' that the woodland birds get from spilled feed and then the next day proudly regale their fellows with the numbers killed it is carving the situation into a simplistic duality; to see a bird as 'game' is to see yourself as 'game' or this discussion as a game. It isn't - it is real, what you do or say in this does matter, so before you write something just check inside to make sure it is how you truely feel or whether it is just a rhetoric you create to avoid having to do so.
    Everything is not normal.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, ctaniab, essexcamper, parrotandcrow, stinkypete1

onsecondthoughtswtf stinkypete1's Avatar

Originally Posted by itinerant child
    TOFFY NOSED WANKERS
    VIOLENT TOFFY NOSED WANKERS Is my experience alongside thug hunt supporters.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee

Yeah violence seems to come easily to some people who hunt. No surprise really considering the nature of their sport..
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion

'The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable'
    The following users think this post is groovy: stinkypete1

On Bank Holiday Monday I went for a walk around London along with thousands of others, to keep the ban , as this was not reported on by the BBC ....here a pic
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, itinerant child, oldkeith, Wulfie, wurzel

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    Well done to you Levey and to all the others that used up their valuble time to try and help out Fauna. Thank you very much for your efforts.xx
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Levey, Miss_bee, wurzel

of course they do!, count their money!

So as long as you shoot them that's fine, how would you like it if they turned the gun on you?

Turning On

Originally Posted by itinerant child
    I may have only given you one groovy,but thats all the site allows. If there was an option,I would offer you ten more.

I have managed farms and if I see a fox has got at the chucks then I do not blame the fox but the owner for not supplying good enough security for their birds. The fox does what is natural for it.

Its like saying a mole is purposely fucking up your lawn !!!!

The pests are these complete pricks taking pleasure in chasing a fox to it cant run any more then letting their dogs-hounds rip it up.

Sorry,but I will never be able to understand how a human can get pleasure out of something so barbaric.

Civilization indeed, ha ha ha
    That's a very good reply. Full marks 😊

Turning On

Towns may be the safest place for them! If townies love foxes, let them have them, maybe they can breed a GM fox that likes a cuddle and eats stale bread.

A lot of people get their jollies hunting in relation to the number of animals killed. Is this a Very Bad Thing? If so, why?
    Personally, I would get my 'jollies', hunting an arsehole like you.
    So no, it's not a bad thing.

Turning On

Maybe, interesting thought, that vixen might have been your granny last time around.
    Oh la la! It's the cuntsman again. I love boys like you, behind a screen, thinking you're safe and sound. It must get pretty lonely where you are?

We've a thread for the lonely people.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

Originally Posted by Miss_bee
    We've a thread for the lonely people.
    Eating more bran helps get rid of it and plenty more

Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: Levey

Hung Parliament aint so bad !! ehh FOXY