THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hobbit homes and unusual builds.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Wulfie
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats very similar to one i built in woods behind my house when i was a teenager
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket, nomis, ursus

Thats what i love about the Hebridean long (black) houses

Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, nicklincs, ursus, Wulfie

Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Miss_bee, nicklincs, ursus

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    Thats what i love about the Hebridean long (black) houses

Saw a couple of those which had been preserved on Uist and watched these guys working on this place, thatching. It was not far above freezing at this time and had snowed a little earlier.

The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket, Miss_bee, nicklincs, ursus

I have made this thread sticky so it is always easy to find.
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, julianthegypsy, upafigtree, ursus

Love those type of houses.Might have to do some research,and see what opportunities are out there.I have had an interest in Brithdir Mawr (Where Tony Wrench first went and set up)over the years although havent visited as yet.Its amazing what people can achieve,so thanks for the inspiration.I've recently been watching some of these YT vids,which are interesting...

Not Quite a Noobie
    What a fantastic thread. I love looking at how others have done things. I would love to build a round house out of wood from the forest and the earth for cob but it would be too conspicuous where I am so my place looks very normal and similar to the other structures. Hiding in plane sight as it where. figgy
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by upafigtree
    Hiding in plane sight as it where.
    You live near an airport figgy?
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, upafigtree

Not Quite a Noobie
    I see what you did there
    figgy
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

Not Quite a Noobie

Originally Posted by Wulfie

This would be my perfect home figgy
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, nicklincs, nomis, ursus

They're all lovely; I like the one that cost 150 quid!
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Originally Posted by nomis
    and the other end of the spectrum went for 700k last year,

just above Holmfirth.

I hate this sort of thing. We have a couple just down the road who have built an 'eco' house. There is only two of the and the place is huge. There probably have 6 or 7 bedrooms with en-suite etc.

I think there is 'eco' and then there is appropriate. I prefer appropriate.

paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, julianthegypsy, nicklincs

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    I love the ones that are half buried in the hillside, that's right up my street, those and the sort of half buried long houses. Purrfick...
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis

The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, NomadicRT, nomis, ursus

Iceland Grass House

The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, nicklincs, NomadicRT, nomis, ursus

The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, nicklincs, NomadicRT, nomis, ursus

Would be good to see a cross section.If the turves are laid only on wood how long would they last,how are they fixed.Weight wet would be a consideration.I love turf roofs but have wondered about weight and water..loads of water in Wales,lest one morning wake up in muddy pond.
    Trees on roof..

Those are amazing such beautiful locations too..

They are all truly amazing. Have dreamed of building one of those types of houses for ages, But I know there are too many obstacles in this country
    The following users think this post is groovy: treestump