THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Wormwood

Not Quite a Noobie Nomadic monster's Avatar

Wormwood

So I consider myself a bit of a herbalist and I have a cupboard full of herbs that I like to make into tea. I decided to buy some wormwood the other day without doing any research (as usual) and I made myself a nice pot of wormwood tea. Many have tried to explain the taste but to no avail. Even with licorice root and 3 spoons of sugar, this tea was beyond saving. I cannot describe it, even the thought of drinking it makes my throat close up in ravolt!. The closest explanation I have found online is this.

"after reading that one could get mellow from drinking wormwood tea, i decided to try some before i made the rest into absinthe, there is nothing on this earth that could compare to how vile even the smallest amounts of wormwood tastes: 1 shot wormwood, 1 shot sugar, wormwood is so bitter i couldn't taste the sugar or anything, given the chance i would rather suck on an aspirin wrapped in an old dirty sock, that doesn't even come close to how vile wormwood is, my tongue has shriveled, i'm thinking of cutting it out to banish the taste."

Anyone had any luck with this vile herb?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    I think it was used as an ingredient in beer before hops.

Yeah and also one of the ingredients of absinthe, although I'm sure that taste nicer!

Wormwood and gall from the bible, extreme bitterness, I can't remember the text but I believe it was punishment for something.

Now Absinthe, I sadly love the stuff (when I can afford it) and without sugar, just a little water from my absinthe fountain (junkshop find) but it does have an effect.
    Not all who wander are lost

Oh i can believe it was a punishment alright! I have a feeling that if i drank, i may like absinthe.....good job i don't!

Keep Calm & Wear a Tutu Jeni Treehugger's Avatar
    Old dirty socks is about right!

Transcending
    Absinthe doesn't do anything for me when I'm awake, but I do have very vividly coloured dreams.

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic monster View Post
    So I consider myself a bit of a herbalist and I have a cupboard full of herbs that I like to make into tea. I decided to buy some wormwood the other day without doing any research (as usual) and I made myself a nice pot of wormwood tea. Many have tried to explain the taste but to no avail. Even with licorice root and 3 spoons of sugar, this tea was beyond saving. I cannot describe it, even the thought of drinking it makes my throat close up in ravolt!. The closest explanation I have found online is this.

"after reading that one could get mellow from drinking wormwood tea, i decided to try some before i made the rest into absinthe, there is nothing on this earth that could compare to how vile even the smallest amounts of wormwood tastes: 1 shot wormwood, 1 shot sugar, wormwood is so bitter i couldn't taste the sugar or anything, given the chance i would rather suck on an aspirin wrapped in an old dirty sock, that doesn't even come close to how vile wormwood is, my tongue has shriveled, i'm thinking of cutting it out to banish the taste."

Anyone had any luck with this vile herb?
    I can remember being dosed with this stuff as a kid, for worms. You had to have an adult standing over you to make you drink it down. No sugar in it, either! It seemed to be effective, until the next time you stole and ate raw sausages, anyway