THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Not paying council tax

I wouldn't bother trying to fight it alone.......maybe there are others online who might join you in a campaign.....

NHS services have no relationship to council tax......

Many European nations seem to provide far better health and welfare services at similar 'insurance' levels.

National insurance in this country is 24.5%of earnings above apx £156 per week until other thresholds are reaced when it becomes a lot lesswhen so called 'employer contributions' are included. That is pretty hefty.

V

Transcending
    "Taxation is the price which we pay for civilization, for our social, civil and political institutions, for the security of life and property, and without which, we must resort to the law of force."

Governor of Vermont, 1852.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by zendaze
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    National insurance in this country is 24.5%of earnings above apx £156 per week until other thresholds are reaced when it becomes a lot lesswhen so called 'employer contributions' are included. That is pretty hefty.
    But are we allowed to opt out of that and buy our own insurance? Probably not

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: zendaze

Originally Posted by agrimog
    get one thing straight, council tax is not a tax.......it is a contract between yourself and your local authourity for your share of the shared services you use, it hasbeen perpetuated as a con for so long it has become the norm, find a well informed contract lawyer and inform the councill you wish to renew your annual contract on your terms, or you will take THEM to court for fraud watch how there attitude changes, they all know there acting fraudulantly, but no-one will admit it, till you call there bluff
    If this was possible it would be in the courts all of the time but I'd love to hear of anyone who's done it. I'm happy to contribute towards the system as in it's own unwieldy way it looks after me, emergency services ect. but what does piss me off with council tax and water rates is having, as a single person, to pay the same rate as someone living in the same band who has several co-habitees.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, MacMac

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    Bancruptcy is a blind threat I'd say. There are other enforcement powers attachment to earnings/benefits etc - freezing the bank account is another.
    I did hear an argument recently that non payment is permissible under the Magna Carta under article 61 via lawful rebellion and swearing allegiance to a lord
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    "Taxation is the price which we pay for civilization, for our social, civil and political institutions, for the security of life and property, and without which, we must resort to the law of force."

Governor of Vermont, 1852.
    From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Karl Marx, a while back...

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    but what does piss me off with council tax and water rates is having, as a single person, to pay the same rate as someone living in the same band who has several co-habitees.
    . That's why they tried to introduce the Poll Tax.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Originally Posted by realnutter
    I have no argument with you there... It's not well, and is paying too much for drugs from the pharmacos... But insurance companies will just accept the going rate for a given drug, and pass the costs on to the policy holders. A body like the NHS that has such purchasing power should be able to negotiate sensible prices....
    In a free market the insurance companies will have to compete with other insurance companies and this will help to lower policies. unfortunately we do not have a free market and there is a lot of corruption behind the scenes.

I do think the NHS is broken but privatising the NHS where it get handed out to other monopolies is not the way to go either.

paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie, zendaze

In a free market the insurance companies will have to compete with other insurance companies and this will help to lower policies. unfortunately we do not have a free market and there is a lot of corruption behind the scenes.
    Insurance companies are not a charity and will still need to pay dividends to investors / shareholders ect and thoughts of how they deal with accidents............quick to take your diminishing money but slow and rights b's to pay out for justified claims.

I do think the NHS is broken but privatising the NHS where it get handed out to other monopolies is not the way to go either.
    You're so right there. The idea of the NHS when made was a great one but greed, lack of investment, stupid wages for pencil pushers, abuse by idiots plaguing the A&Es ect have brought us to now. Privatising would just be another nail in the coffin to the detriment of those that need it. Again, it's down to profits.

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    If this was possible it would be in the courts all of the time but I'd love to hear of anyone who's done it. I'm happy to contribute towards the system as in it's own unwieldy way it looks after me, emergency services ect. but what does piss me off with council tax and water rates is having, as a single person, to pay the same rate as someone living in the same band who has several co-habitees.
    Surely if you are single occupancy you can claim the 25% council tax discount, as for water get a meter fitted worked out a lot cheaper for me when I had a flat

I don't mind paying my taxes.I use most of the services I pay for.As for the NHS (I used to work for them)I never take it for granted.For those who would like it privatised,have you ever lived in another country?Probably not,so please don't take it for granted.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo, nicklincs, NomadicRT

You could issue them with a Promissory Note that should keep them busy while they work out what to do with it.

Originally Posted by 2wheelsgood
    Taxation is not theft, it's roads with lighting, hospitals, council houses, the NHS, libraries and everything else that a civilized society should have, even if the uncivilized lot in government are trying to do away with them.
    I doesn't matter what I spend it on, If I steal money from you and give it to the NHS it is still stealing.

Paul
    PⒶUL

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar

Originally Posted by aman
    I doesn't matter what I spend it on, If I steal money from you and give it to the NHS it is still stealing.

Paul
    Theft is a social label that applies to some people in society and not others.
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow

A % of Council tax goes to the parish Councils in all the rural villages that we stay in, play in or reside in. It's used to pay local services. From picking up little, mowing grass verges to maintaining the environment Council tax payers reside in. There is Also a % of the Council Tax that goes to pay for the police that cover the area.

Out of curiosity were do you stand with council tax if you live in a van. Am I right in assuming you'd be covered by the address its registered at? Because no one really knows you live in a van. But were would you stand if you got discovered?

Originally Posted by ThreeMoons
    Theft is a social label that applies to some people in society and not others.
    Not when it's taken from me with threat it's not. It is theft!

Paul
    PⒶUL

Originally Posted by NickJ
    Out of curiosity were do you stand with council tax if you live in a van. Am I right in assuming you'd be covered by the address its registered at? Because no one really knows you live in a van. But were would you stand if you got discovered?
    It depends. If you live in a van and move about (once every 28 days) then you don't need to pay it. If you live in a van and stay in the same place all the time then you may need to pay it.

Same with TV tax

Paul
    PⒶUL

I thought Council tax was on property not people or have I missed something.

2. Who has to pay

You’ll usually have to pay Council Tax if you’re 18 or over and own or rent a home.

Originally Posted by aman
    It depends. If you live in a van and move about (once every 28 days) then you don't need to pay it. If you live in a van and stay in the same place all the time then you may need to pay it.

Same with TV tax

Paul
    If you live in a county for less than 6 months I was told by the gypsy liaison officer I could make a declaration that the formal address I used for any correspondence only. I would be exempt. If I remained in the County for more than 6 months then that property would become my billing address. It's down to the census forms. If any information was omitted by the person completing it. They would be committing a offence. Eg: number of people living there. But it's now Councilt tax so may have changed. There's not many settled gypsies that I know who don't pay Council Tax
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

Heavenly Creature
    Having a vehicle registered at even a domestic address doesn't necessarily mean you have to pay council tax there. Being registered to vote is a bit of a giveaway. As with so many registers and lists, the officials in question know what you tell them. It's rare, without a complaint or informant, for say the council to do any digging. They just don't have the money or resources these days.

Over here in deepest darkest Norfolk, people living on boats used to pay poll tax to the council which justified their rights to living their way.
    When the evil empire Broads Authority took over they refused to take it any more and so since then we've been harassed because we don't pay our way. It's unspoken of course but that's how it is.
    Now I have a friend up here who lives in her caravan and to keep things sweet she pays a nominal sum to the parish council to pay for the water she gets from the church.
    The point is, if you can find a way to pay something it will justify your right to live within your local community. If you want to.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

Heavenly Creature
    TN I don't understand that. Paying council tax gives you no rights with a council, if you don't have permission to live or work on land that's subject to the tax or rates in question.
    Twice now, with different councils, I have been on 'commercial' sites that have paid commercial rates (and static dwellers paying council tax). Neither had permission, and eventually closed. The first one I saw proof of rates dating back to 1981. It didn't stop the planners closing it. A council will take whatever is paid.
    Also, water has never been included in council tax, at least not in town. That's for the water companies to charge for.

Sorry, but it's not a cut and dried situation all the time. My friend relies on good will so as not to get moved on and that nominal charge she pays, helps.
    As for us on the broads, it's long been decided by us that if we were allowed to pay something , we could legally demand some rights to our living situation.
    Bty, I don't want to pay anything. But if it helps to an easier life...