THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Not paying council tax

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    Don't get me wrong, I am not saying pay nothing if you are supposed to pay. BUT it's money wasted if the council decides to get you moved, such as planning contravention. Paying something you don't have to will get you nothing.
    Do you think the owner of the site got his rates back, from 1981 to the time he was cleared? No he didn't. And yet, the council took his money!

Sex
    Male
    I'm happy to pay council tax,bin's emptied,streets are cleaned and lit,parks are nice and tidy,and a hundred other thing's I haven't covered.Go and live in another country where you have to pay for health care where you are hit up the gonads because your not local.All of this ba humbug about a few quid is no good for your spiritual well being,pay up look big with a SMILE.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

Sex
    Male

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    TN I don't understand that. Paying council tax gives you no rights with a council, if you don't have permission to live or work on land that's subject to the tax or rates in question.
    Twice now, with different councils, I have been on 'commercial' sites that have paid commercial rates (and static dwellers paying council tax). Neither had permission, and eventually closed. The first one I saw proof of rates dating back to 1981. It didn't stop the planners closing it. A council will take whatever is paid.
    Also, water has never been included in council tax, at least not in town. That's for the water companies to charge for.
    When you get the breakdown on the Council Tax bill. It clearly indicates where that money YOU are paying is going. % to the Police % to the Parish Council. Etc. The Parish Council set their budget accordingly. Yes they may pay to have water available in the church yard, so that the parishioners can say water plants on graves. The Parish Council, may have even paid to have the pipe laid. They pay for the benches, the dog mess bins and the cleaning of, the mowing of the verges, the street cleaning, the traffic calming, gates and fences, playing fields and parks. So that's why, residing in most places, however long. You are using facilities paid for in part by those residents who live there and pay Council tax.
    It's good though that they have let this person live in the community. Good on them. We need more like them and more like this lass.

A bit of an aside but despite UK drivers paying insurance premiums that cover the cost of damages the NHS does attempt to recover the liability from those insurers.

As for council tax I've now had opportunity to move around a bit and find it quite strange that refuse collectors in poorer neighborhood s are much, much louder and more disturbing than those attending to more wealthy less claustrophobic neighborhood s.......anecdotal evidence of course but poses several questions that flumox me.
    Last edited by zendaze; 11-01--2017 at 12:57 AM.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    I throw our rubbish in the various commercial bins and skips, I know the companies pay for them but it's not even every week. There are no public streets without lights. We don't need schools. The only people who clean the streets are us. Remind me, why would I need to pay Council Tax?

Sex
    Male

I throw our rubbish in the various commercial bins and skips, I know the companies pay for them but it's not even every week. There are no public streets without lights. We don't need schools. The only people who clean the streets are us. Remind me, why would I need to pay Council Tax?
    Youth services
    Libraries
    Parks, open spaces and galleries
    Leisure facilities, including swimming pools and recreation centres
    Social care for the elderly, children and other vulnerable members of the community
    Support for the voluntary sector
    Planning and building control
    Refuse collection, street cleaning and other environmental issues
    Maintenance of roads and bridges
    Traffic management and road safety
    Parking services and control
    Elections, registrars of births, marriages and deaths
    Cemeteries, crematoria and mortuary services
    Consumer protection
    Economic development and regeneration
    Community development services
    Housing, including the provision of social housing, housing strategy and advice and services for the homeless
    Housing Benefits and Council Tax administration.
    The following users think this post is groovy: TravellerNick

I'm getting an image of the John Cleese ranting about what the Romans ever gave us.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    I have never had a penny off the state, including housing benefit. The roads we drive on are quite frankly third world quality. I have been in a library twice in the last five years. I haven't lived in a council house for more than thirty years.
    Parking control?? That's like turkies voting for Christmas!!
    I could go on, but I am sure you get the picture.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by TravellerNick
    I'm getting an image of the John Cleese ranting about what the Romans ever gave us.

Sex
    Male

I have never had a penny off the state, including housing benefit. The roads we drive on are quite frankly third world quality. I have been in a library twice in the last five years. I haven't lived in a council house for more than thirty years.
    Parking control?? That's like turkies voting for Christmas!!
    I could go on, but I am sure you get the picture.
    There'll come a point when you will no longer be able to look after yourselves in a van or you become ill or infirm. 'It'll never happen to me' is the shit that a lot will come out with. I thought that with my O/H but life is not always fair, it does happen. The usual thoughts are then 'help for committing murder/suicide' as we don't have the Swiss 'get out of hell free card' or throw yourself on the system paid for by taxpayers. What contingency plan do you have if crap does happen.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, TravellerNick

Sex
    Male
    So, the amount of people on here that are quite happy to pay income tax, council tax, TV tax, Tax on money you spend, Tax on money you save, Tax on money you give away etc leads me to believe that contributions should be wholly voluntary.

People can then decide what they want to spend their money on.

When you get your pay packet you can stipulate that a portion go to such and such. When you buy something you can add a voluntary contribution at the till.

If the numbers of people on this site in favour of tax are to be believed -and I think the numbers would be lower than average because it is a hippy forum and will have more than it's fair share of libertarians and anarchists- then there would be more than enough people contributing more than enough money to pay for an efficiently run country.

paul
    PⒶUL

Sex
    Male
    Maybe i could get some back. Ive recently changed job and shifts, and now have to work some overtime. My tax is now 40% - im working overtime for less than i get normally... Ive looked into all the ways to avoid tax and the only one that seems viable is to put it all into a pension.

Which will be taxed....

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by aman
    So, the amount of people on here that are quite happy to pay income tax, council tax, TV tax, Tax on money you spend, Tax on money you save, Tax on money you give away etc leads me to believe that contributions should be wholly voluntary.

People can then decide what they want to spend their money on.

When you get your pay packet you can stipulate that a portion go to such and such. When you buy something you can add a voluntary contribution at the till.

If the numbers of people on this site in favour of tax are to be believed -and I think the numbers would be lower than average because it is a hippy forum and will have more than it's fair share of libertarians and anarchists- then there would be more than enough people contributing more than enough money to pay for an efficiently run country.

paul
    Good point but it all goes to ratshit on profiteers, huge wage earners (or should I say overpaid robbing barstards) and waste through inefficiency just to name a few problems.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    There'll come a point when you will no longer be able to look after yourselves in a van or you become ill or infirm. 'It'll never happen to me' is the shit that a lot will come out with. I thought that with my O/H but life is not always fair, it does happen. The usual thoughts are then 'help for committing murder/suicide' as we don't have the Swiss 'get out of hell free card' or throw yourself on the system paid for by taxpayers. What contingency plan do you have if crap does happen.
    But we are all paying tax at the moment. You may not be paying income tax, you may not be paying council tax but you will be paying tax and a lot of it which secures you a place in the NHS if you require it

I disagree with the way we are taxed at the moment but I still have to pay it. Just because I disagree with the system it doesn't mean I can't use that system if an alternative doesn't exist.

I could opt for private health care but I would still be paying for the NHS through the tax that is being stolen from me so in effect I would be paying for health care twice.

If I could opt out of taxes and pay privately for the services I use then I would

Paul
    PⒶUL

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    Well said Aman, you put it better than me.
    I too have private medical insurance. The last time I was in hospital I was in a private wing. I have a private pension too, much good it will do me.
    Given the response we had when we were in brick and needed help, I am not even going to try to pay council tax. As Aman said, we all pay tax and can't avoid it so I do contribute. If I don't have to though, I won't.

Sex
    Male
    Average 800 per year per person to have a emergency team of thugs, detectives, traffic control, security, fire fighters, emergency services for starters. Just so we can park up, sleep in quiet places, not expect to be routinely turned over from turf war gangs or have to fork out to area based protection racketeers. Seems a lot at first. But at just over 1.25 est per day. I'm sure a smart guy could cook the books to make/claim back far more than that from tax returns. Which ever way we look at it. The world doesn't owe us a living & what price do we put on peace of mind?

I'm the first to take 2 inches, even if it costs me half inch to start with and I give a foot voluntarily.

Sex
    Male
    Social care comes from the local authority (council taxes, business rates) with a diminishing small percentage coming from government. So if you need to go into permanent care does your private medical insurance cover that?

As pointed out by AW

Youth services
    Libraries
    Parks, open spaces and galleries
    Leisure facilities, including swimming pools and recreation centres
    Social care for the elderly, children and other vulnerable members of the community
    Support for the voluntary sector
    Planning and building control
    Refuse collection, street cleaning and other environmental issues
    Maintenance of roads and bridges
    Traffic management and road safety
    Parking services and control
    Elections, registrars of births, marriages and deaths
    Cemeteries, crematoria and mortuary services
    Consumer protection
    Economic development and regeneration
    Community development services
    Housing, including the provision of social housing, housing strategy and advice and services for the homeless
    Housing Benefits and Council Tax administration.
    All comes from council tax, not taxes on food, clothes ect.

Sex
    Male

Well said Aman, you put it better than me.
    I too have private medical insurance. The last time I was in hospital I was in a private wing. I have a private pension too, much good it will do me.
    Given the response we had when we were in brick and needed help, I am not even going to try to pay council tax. As Aman said, we all pay tax and can't avoid it so I do contribute. If I don't have to though, I won't.
    If they provided a park up would you then pay Council Tax?

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    Yes, but we all know that won't happen.
    Parking in London is at a premium, and where it's not regulated it's first come first served. Where the council gets an income, they do so without offering anything (such as waste disposal) than they already offer.

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    came back to my house today to pick up some stuff, i only use it as a garage come store and the damn baliffs were there, had to pay them 600 quid to get them off my back

Sex
    Male
    Shit, in a way it was good timing. They wouldn't have got entry though would they?

Sex
    Male

Yes, but we all know that won't happen.
    Parking in London is at a premium, and where it's not regulated it's first come first served. Where the council gets an income, they do so without offering anything (such as waste disposal) than they already offer.
    Blame the travellers of the day, back in the days when it became law for local authorities to provide accommodation (sites) for gypsies. They went round counting heads. Many of the gypsies blatantly refused to have anything to do with lists ( possibly a result of what happened during WW11) Preferring to move off for a bit. Move away. Hide away. So the sites were allocated on the number who did stay put. This was enrolled over every Metropolitan Council in the land. Same thing gypsies wouldn't comply. In some cases. It wasn't pursued to the letter or with much vigour. Corners cut. Lists short. Once the sites were provided. Every Metropolitan City Council Authority had complied with the law and fulfilled its obligation. All other Councils were left to meet needs ( like that happens) but I know if I want a Council site pitch in most Counties today. They will provide me a pitch. No way would I survive on most of them that they could offer.

There's a lot of people, many who were born in London, have family in London have to live elsewhere. If they can't afford to pay the price to live in the city. None of us are any different. Like you say parking in the smoke is hard enough to come by. Imagine if every other parking space had a livin in it. The city couldn't coupe. Parking bays are for commuters and for residents who unfortunately pay to park or pay through a Council tax for the provision and upkeep and policing of parking.

I live in a tent and pay no rent.

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    Shit, in a way it was good timing. They wouldn't have got entry though would they?
    yeah, no way were they coming in, gives me the incentive though to sort out and sell up, ebay is going to be busy soon
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

Annoyingly Positive Editor DaisyDreamer's Avatar
    Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    I always thought they weren't allowed to force entry anyway? They can only gain entry if you let them in? Or is that wrong?
    Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too - Voltaire