THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Not paying council tax

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by DaisyDreamer
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I always thought they weren't allowed to force entry anyway? They can only gain entry if you let them in? Or is that wrong?
    I believe that they can only force commercial premises but can just walk in to a house if the doors unlocked or invited in if they have a court warrant.
    Not all who wander are lost

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by DaisyDreamer
    I always thought they weren't allowed to force entry anyway? They can only gain entry if you let them in? Or is that wrong?
    Unless something has changed recently, that's what I thought too.

Alice, we wouldn't be allowed on a council traveller site, we are not from gypsy stock.

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    he never tried to force his way in to be fair, i just no and he said ok

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    I believe that they can only force commercial premises but can just walk in to a house if the doors unlocked or invited in if they have a court warrant.

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    Unless something has changed recently, that's what I thought too.

Alice, we wouldn't be allowed on a council traveller site, we are not from gypsy stock.
    You don't need to be from gypsy stock and I've never heard of anyone been asked to undertake a DNA test. If you went far enough back in the gene pool, we all come from roughly the same place and all can claim nomadic ancestry. Seriously. The sites are not restricted to a breeding, a race, other than a ethnic group, it's a hard one to enforce without been open to racial something or other. Irish won't live with English, Romany won't live with Irish, Peter robs Paul and Paul's Peters Brother. It's a mix of clan more than race, more culture than legislation. White British Travellers have rights too!

The more travellers go out of Metropolitan Cities, Boroughs, the more demand there is on other Councils, both District and County to provide facilities. It's the Law. Use it or abuse it.

I know that I wouldn't feel welcome or safe on many of the Clan occupied sites available in the UK. I've stayed at Appleby Horse fair enough times to know how difficult they could make life "should they wish to" I'm lucky where I am. In-between several sites. I can hear dogs barking, engines running, Scrap being recycled. Had a few thefts and run ins when I first moved down these parts. Over the years, they've Sussed me out and thankfully I'm on name and talking terms with some. I've taken the bill hook to others (kids) and I'm not daft enough to wadafucrunamuker where I am.

Well said Aman, you put it better than me.
    I too have private medical insurance. The last time I was in hospital I was in a private wing. I have a private pension too, much good it will do me.
    Given the response we had when we were in brick and needed help, I am not even going to try to pay council tax. As Aman said, we all pay tax and can't avoid it so I do contribute. If I don't have to though, I won't.
    I wish I could afford private medical insurance. It would pay dividends. I've had private dental work a few years ago, 4,200 for One implant. Needed a bit of surgery as my gum was injured in a fall.

Heavenly Creature
    I gave a good friend who was told to leave an official site in Surrey by the council. Their reason being he wasn't of travelling stock. He lived in a caravan at the time.

It's true. Romany and Irish travellers get more rights than us lot. Can't remember the term for it though. But I've done my bit of campaigning for travellers rights in the past with the FFT.

I gave a good friend who was told to leave an official site in Surrey by the council. Their reason being he wasn't of travelling stock. He lived in a caravan at the time.
    did he just turn up and move on or was he first allocated a pitch then asked to leave? Seems a bit odd they didn't offer an alternative if that was the case? In most disputes where Council have gone down the official route a alternative is often offered even if it's bricks and mortar. I suppose if I were to move into a Council house and I hadn't been on a list or acted accordingly I wouldn't be allowed to stay. In planning terms the Authorities find it hard to place "gypsies" officially, due to their requirements for hard standing to recycle scrap/carry out a business. In planning terms it's either residential or commercial/industrial and thus planning issues arise for the Authorities.
    There are of course many privately owned gypsy sites that are in partnership with local authority. This is more to due with animosity towards separate cultures not statue law.
    Last edited by alices wonderland; 11-01--2017 at 07:59 PM.

Heavenly Creature
    As he was working with showmen at the tIme, he was invited by somebody already on site. It may have been somebody else on site complained to the council. I know he wasn't offered an alternative though, he ended up living at the bottom of his mate's garden in the caravan.

Showmans sites are a totally different game altogether. Nothing to do with travellers in the sense of the word.

Heavenly Creature
    I didn't say it was a showman's site. It was council run for gypsies and travellers. He worked for showmen.

I didn't say it was a showman's site. It was council run for gypsies and travellers. He worked for showmen.
    no worries. I've invited several New Age traveller families to stay on my land over the years. In all cases they had very young children or it was for the period of birthing (a safe place) vehicles to convert or get roadworthy. Often unintentionally over staying their welcome. The hardest thing is asking them to leave.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

That would be racial discrimination
    The following users think this post is groovy: zendaze

Turning On
    I presume you have gone through the threatening letters stage, and the council has been to court to recover the debt which can heard without your presence. The council can then pass the debt on to an agency to recover the debt. Has the enforcement officer told you he's passing it to bailiffs, if he has then here's a couple of pieces of advice,

Don,t answer the door.

Don't invite them even if they say its just for a chat, because if you do they can enter by force at a later date to recover what ever they deem sell able. All they do wait for you to go out.

If you did open the door they usually put a foot over the threshold which is bending the rules, but in effect it gives them right of access, difficult for you prove otherwise, talk to them through an upstairs window if you have to is a better route.

You more than likely know is an imprison able offence, doubt if would come to that though.

If you can't afford to pay it and have another debt you can make an application for an administration order from the court and they will decide what you can afford to pay, and possibly write some of the debt off. Also the bailiffs cannot touch you while the order is in force.

Hope this helps Good luck.