Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Not paying council tax

Not paying council tax

Does anyone here know the realities of this ? Have spoke to a few freeman peeps that don't pay and say you don't have to pay ? I have an enforcement officer on my case ? What are my rights? He is threatening to issue a bankruptcy order

If you genuinely use none of the services provided by your local council, then I'd say you have a pretty good case.... but if you use the library, the bin collection, the street lights to find your way home, the NHS, the parks, etc... Then I'd say you have a moral requirement to contribute your fair share....

Taproom lawyers can be wonderful.......not. Without full details one could only guess how to evade it but you need legal advice if they're threatening you with a bankruptcy. Usual thing I thought was judgement followed by bailiffs then bankruptcy.
    I used to get a lower band or two for the O/H being disabled and the place being kitted out for her but now I get 'single persons'. Not a lot but it helps.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

I don't pay council tax, income tax or TV tax but that doesn't mean I do not pay tax. I pay tax on fuel, materials for work, alcohol, some foods, clothes and many other things I buy

It is your right to pay as little tax as possible. The big corporations do it so you should do it.

Taxation it theft

paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: FULL TIMER, Offgrid hero, Trev, WREKAGE, zendaze

Taxation is not theft, it's roads with lighting, hospitals, council houses, the NHS, libraries and everything else that a civilized society should have, even if the uncivilized lot in government are trying to do away with them.
    The following users think this post is groovy: realnutter, Wulfie

I think if you use the services then maybe you can say it's needed but if you don't then why should you pay . My issue is though they are telling me they are doing to issue a bankrupt order and take what they say I owe them . I need to know if this will actually happen and what I need to do to prevent it .

Despite not paying council tax or income tax I still paid more than £6000 in money that was taken from me against my will. Money that will be used to fight wars I do not agree with, money that was used to bail out corporations and banks and to pay for politicians I didn't vote for.
    I would rather pay tolls on the roads I use and pay for medical insurance and pay rental at the library

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero, zendaze

Paying what you owe would be a good start.... You seem to have missed the point about how society works... We all pay, according to our means (approximately), through income tax, banded council tax etc, and we all benefit from the pool of money collected...

It's not perfect.. I don't think anyone claims it is, but if you want to benefit from the services the state provides, then you should be prepared to contribute...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by aman
    pay for medical insurance
    Really??? That's a terrible model!! When "insurance will cover it" you're trapped in a spiral of ever increasing premiums... go look at America! Seriously, dude.. get a grip!!!
    Last edited by realnutter; 08-01--2017 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Spello
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature
    I wouldn't have a problem with paying any kind of tax if said tax was spent wisely and without waste. Unfortunately this isn't the case so I pay as little as possible and at the last minute.
    Back to the original question. If the OP has a house or other property, they should avoid being made bankrupt. If they don't (rent a house or flat, have a car or van worth less than £1000, no money in savings or pension) then bankruptcy is a hollow threat.
    The council won't get their money and it will cost them in legal fees.

Because the NHS has little competition it can run in a very inefficient way. We are conditioned by the media to believe the health service is some sort of amazing untouchable institution but it is being raped by the pharmaceutical companies and doctors get kick back to prescribe drugs that get people into a spiral of dependency but we are not allowed to talk about that because the NHS is sacred.
    The NHS is broken

paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: FULL TIMER, Offgrid hero, Rick69, zendaze

The NHS is broken
    I have no argument with you there... It's not well, and is paying too much for drugs from the pharmacos... But insurance companies will just accept the going rate for a given drug, and pass the costs on to the policy holders. A body like the NHS that has such purchasing power should be able to negotiate sensible prices....

I think the OP would find advice more helpful than a discussion on politics....Etienne you dont say what kind of dwelling youre in so im assuming a house or flat ? if so theres not much you can do to avoid paying council tax unless youre of insufficient income and possibly qualify for council tax benefit.
    Whatever you do,do not go down the bankrupcy route or youll probably never be able to rent a property or get any mortgage or finance again should you ever wish.
    Councils will agree payment plans with you for arrears if you dont quality for council tax benefit and struggling but you need to discuss thst with them.Digging your feet in and refusing to pay on bad advice from various people will just get you in court, losing money and evicted.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 08-01--2017 at 10:51 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: MacMac, Wulfie, zendaze

Originally Posted by realnutter
    A body like the NHS that has such purchasing power should be able to negotiate sensible prices....

In theory they should but...
    The further up the ladder you travel, the more corrupt they get. Wasn't there an investigation into it last year, the NHS bosses being paid by the pharma companies in order to get them to 'switch' to medicines they produce.
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

pay for medical insurance
    The system is in place for all including the NHS tourists who screw it and all should pay towards it as there are a lot of people who wouldn't be able to afford medical insurance or have it even if they could. What would the hospitals do if it was 'insurance based' and folks had none.
    Same with the Fire Brigade ect.
    Not all who wander are lost

Originally Posted by Etienne
    I think if you use the services then maybe you can say it's needed but if you don't then why should you pay . My issue is though they are telling me they are doing to issue a bankrupt order and take what they say I owe them . I need to know if this will actually happen and what I need to do to prevent it .
    I was served a bill. Not responding to it at the time didn't help my case. I was taken to court as I had tried to riggle out of paying it. They told me as I had (potentially resided) within (That County) for a period of more than 6 months I was liable to pay it. Attending court on the day. Every person summoned before me lost their case. Court adjourned for lunch. I took some legal advice during the lunch break. I decided not to try to fight it. I ended up paying 12 months on my terms. Instead of the court setting a repayment plan for me.
    We really need to know more about your personal circumstances before we can advice in your case.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: zendaze

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    The system is in place for all including the NHS tourists who screw it and all should pay towards it as there are a lot of people who wouldn't be able to afford medical insurance or have it even if they could. What would the hospitals do if it was 'insurance based' and folks had none.
    Same with the Fire Brigade ect.
    Maybe people can't afford medical insurance because 20% of everything they spend is stolen as VAT

If I steal £100 off you I cannot justify it because i give some of it to a poor person

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: zendaze

Margret Thatcher was Summoned to return her own Poll Tax registration information or face a fine. She had mislaid it and it was 6 months over due.

Maybe people can't afford medical insurance because 20% of everything they spend is stolen as VAT

If I steal £100 off you I cannot justify it because i give some of it to a poor person

Paul
    Its a great feeling getting something for nothing. But however you see the cake cut. Your getting slices of it here, there and everywhere. If you can't see where that's just custy

Noobie
    Just a con really, I get tax credits for myself and my disabled wife it just about covers the council tax so its the governments way of taking money back and making it look good that it supports my low pay

Heavenly Creature
    It's all about numbers is different columns. Always has been. They take it from one column and add it to another. Then they say the first column has got shorter.....

get one thing straight, council tax is not a tax.......it is a contract between yourself and your local authourity for your share of the shared services you use, it hasbeen perpetuated as a con for so long it has become the norm, find a well informed contract lawyer and inform the councill you wish to renew your annual contract on your terms, or you will take THEM to court for fraud watch how there attitude changes, they all know there acting fraudulantly, but no-one will admit it, till you call there bluff
    enjoying life in the "slow"lane
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, zendaze

Agrimog .. if I owe money can I still do this ?

Originally Posted by Etienne
    Does anyone here know the realities of this ? Have spoke to a few freeman peeps that don't pay and say you don't have to pay ? I have an enforcement officer on my case ? What are my rights? He is threatening to issue a bankruptcy order
    Your rights will depend on where you live - there are some differences between the way Council tax is dealt with England and Wales or Scotland. It is a complex matter - Can you access local help say CAB or even Shelter helpline.

In England I think I am right with this - a bankruptcy order can only be granted for a total debt of £5000.

I do hope you can get local help with this or at least can phone a helpline to make them fully aware of your circumstances - Whatever you decide or some freeman peeps say .....
    “In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.” –