THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The gold fish bowl that is my life

I think that is relating to universal Credit.. tbh though am not sure I want a stranger in my house..

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Bernie
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I don't know any more than what I read in the article

Currently, benefit claimants must declare income from lodgers. This can affect their entitlement to housing benefit, jobseeker’s allowance and income support. However, from October, tenants will be able to keep rent and retain full entitlement to any benefit, after ministers amended what counts as income in draft regulations for universal credit.

but that seems pretty clear to me. Maybe you should rattle the cage a bit
    What gives you the idea that because I have nothing I am unhappy?

That artical Bernie is almost four years old.. this was all the patter they came out with to try to make things a little better and soften the blow but in reality, it was never going to be as easy as reported..

I did work for age concern voluntarily whilst on benefits and the dhss told me there is a limit to permitted hours and "if you can do voluntary you can do paid work",they must know all voluntary hours and it does not stop the harassment by the dss.It is good experience though,good references and you are helping a lonely person.I have made some lovely friendships this way.

Originally Posted by TravellerNick
    Hi CT. Yup, I'm hearing ya.
    So, I believe that work is good for us, we all need something to do and often need a bit of pressure on us to do it. But what a lot of people don't understand is that going to work actually costs quite a lot of the income we get from it.
    So, how about some volunteering work. Far less stress because it doesn't affect the benefits with hours that suit you. Also it gets the benefits office off your back because they're trying to encourage this kinda thing.
    But having said that, maybe you don't need solutions right now, maybe you just wanna be heard, so, I'm hearing ya. Big big virtual hugs from me
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chained Thistle

yes it is amazing.x

Originally Posted by Chained Thistle
    A little update. I not been totally idle today. I did a shout out on local notice board on FB for what volunteer opportunities there were other than charity shops. Someone messaged me from here ...

So I think I am going to message the volunteer co-ordinator..

has anyone heard of this place?

Heavenly Creature
    Don't know about England but over here I know someone who runs people to hospital in his car through a charity, gets enough to cover his fuel and lunch, cuts down on his heating bills and keeps him away from daytime TV.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chained Thistle, cricket

what about school jobs?Term time only...they dont hassel you so much in the school hols.I had a job down south taking kids to school then back home again after with the local council.Slept in the day between shifts and was able still to care for my mum and my animals.Pay was low but i was treated better working for the council and they gave me uniform and steel toecap boots as was wheelchairs too.they also paid for my DBS certificate.I met loads of nice people,was sat on my ass on a bus mostly,saw a lot of countryside and the kids made me glad i had what i did.
    Ha ha I did have a go at school cook for a bit but near killed me.They are like endurance cooks in those school kitchens.I only lasted 5 weeks doing that.
    Last edited by cricket; 16-01--2017 at 10:47 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chained Thistle, ursus

WHOOP WHOOP.. off to Monkton Wyld Court on Tuesday for a look round and staying for lunch!!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, GivingItThought, patchypete, ursus

Oh wow CT,hope you have a lovely day!I've read about MW over the years on the Diggers & Dreamers site.x

Transcending

Originally Posted by Chained Thistle
    WHOOP WHOOP.. off to Monkton Wyld Court on Tuesday for a look round and staying for lunch!!!

Let us know what it's like, I've wanted to go there for ages
    x

Will do GiT

Originally Posted by GivingItThought
    Let us know what it's like, I've wanted to go there for ages
    x

Turning On
    I hear you too. I worked my ass off at various low paid, soul sucking jobs for decades until the Universe did me a favour and gave me a nervous breakdown. I say did me a favour because I was better off on the sick than I ever was working all week at back breaking jobs! I can now afford to eat, make ends meet, and buy bus fares. I still live very frugally in order to get by, but boy was I below the breadline working!!! It's madness isnt it? I don't get extra's like PIP, just the bare basics but I couldn't even pay the basic rent and utilities before! Bonkers... lol When I eventually get well I can't imagine what I'll do for work; I have no qualifications, cannot go to college etc. Im never going to be healthy enough to do any physical labour or anything stressful, noisy or too busy so that rules a lot out. Starting a business is a no go either, I live alone and have a flat to run. The bills are high (storage heaters, very cold flat) and you're not allowed to start a business from home. Im pretty stuck here too, cannot afford private rented to get to another area where I may have better opportunities. And I did consider Woofing... but Im just not in good enough health, mentally and physically for that. Also I have anxiety around others so communal life would not be for me. I need an awful lot of privacy.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry that was a rant... and not very cheerful to read... OOPs sorry guys.. Im not a misery, honest
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chained Thistle, MaggieMcgill

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by rainbow_hermit
    I hear you too. I worked my ass off at various low paid, soul sucking jobs for decades until the Universe did me a favour and gave me a nervous breakdown. I say did me a favour because I was better off on the sick than I ever was working all week at back breaking jobs! I can now afford to eat, make ends meet, and buy bus fares. I still live very frugally in order to get by, but boy was I below the breadline working!!! It's madness isnt it? I don't get extra's like PIP, just the bare basics but I couldn't even pay the basic rent and utilities before! Bonkers... lol When I eventually get well I can't imagine what I'll do for work; I have no qualifications, cannot go to college etc. Im never going to be healthy enough to do any physical labour or anything stressful, noisy or too busy so that rules a lot out. Starting a business is a no go either, I live alone and have a flat to run. The bills are high (storage heaters, very cold flat) and you're not allowed to start a business from home. Im pretty stuck here too, cannot afford private rented to get to another area where I may have better opportunities. And I did consider Woofing... but Im just not in good enough health, mentally and physically for that. Also I have anxiety around others so communal life would not be for me. I need an awful lot of privacy.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry that was a rant... and not very cheerful to read... OOPs sorry guys.. Im not a misery, honest
    excuse me, but may I ask? is your flat Housing Association/ Council? if it is you can go on Homeswappers and look for a swap to another location, I know because I have done it....twice.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, MaggieMcgill

Good suggestion Hagrid.My daughter has also used Homeswappers.She placed her ad too on her area's Facebook page,I think it was a house swap group page.I'm guessing they have those all over the UK?

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Cobra
    Good suggestion Hagrid.My daughter has also used Homeswappers.She placed her ad too on her area's Facebook page,I think it was a house swap group page.I'm guessing they have those all over the UK?
    i'm not on FB so I cant say. you can swap anywhere in the country through Homeswappers.

I was successful with a notice in the newsagents of the town I wanted to move to with my last move.. there is only really one suitable property on homeswappers for me at moment but it does not feel right.. so staying put.. infact... starting to get itchy feet.. but am stuck here because mum is here now..

lone wolf survivalist.
    we tried leafleting places we wanted to move to(8 years ago), had a look at your area but decided we wanted to be North of Dartmoor. Homeswappers went from a paper file to an online website(that's when I was forced to learn how to use a computer!!), eventually we were offered this place and the paperwork was very simple- both councils or housing associations have to agree, that's not usually a problem unless someone is behind with the rent.

Yeah Hagrid it is a very simple process really provided there is nothing outstanding.. but you have to be careful these days and double check the persons tenancy you are swapping with.. I do believe they changed tenancy agreements to shorter and not secured and you take on your swappers tenancy as it is.. I think some are only like 5 yrs long.. ???

Originally Posted by hagrid
    we tried leafleting places we wanted to move to(8 years ago), had a look at your area but decided we wanted to be North of Dartmoor. Homeswappers went from a paper file to an online website(that's when I was forced to learn how to use a computer!!), eventually we were offered this place and the paperwork was very simple- both councils or housing associations have to agree, that's not usually a problem unless someone is behind with the rent.

lone wolf survivalist.
    yes I have seen some on the Devon Home Choice website that the tenancy is only for 5 years, always check the paperwork thoroughly!!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chained Thistle, Miss_bee, rainbow_hermit

Not Quite a Noobie
    My experience has been most homeswappers want something alot better than they have. I mostly want to move because awful neighbours (think Shameless series). I am finding it very hard to think of the future, try to remain patient, why I think of some kind of plan to move or swap (any plan!).

Also Thistle, you say of your neighbours "I am comfortable and feel secure. Its familiar, my neighbours are familiar with all your difficulties". This is a wonderful thing and consolation (good neighbours), so don't underestimate it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chained Thistle, rainbow_hermit

Turning On
    Hi Hagrid
    thanks for the reply. I don't check in here that often so I only just saw the post.

Im already in homeswapper, thanks. Its Housing Association. I've been looking for a long time, the area won't make that much difference - I'll still have severe ocd and anxiety, and be too ill to work. It would save on bills, especially the extra bedroom I can't afford, but could end up with neighbours from hell... so its all swings and roundabouts. Still I do keep looking cos you never know!
    Last edited by rainbow_hermit; 09-07--2017 at 10:56 AM. Reason: replied to wrong person

Turning On
    Hi MaggiMcgill

Sorry you're having the same trouble with homeswappers. I agree... I see some awful stuff on there!

Makes me laugh out loud at some of the photo's... they don't even bother to tidy up first! LOL

You either get dark, blurry, upside down shots of the loo; a snapshot of the bed (usually unmade); and a grubby, messy kitchen... he he. It shows you the mentality of the swappers... When I see one that has clearly been kept tidy and loved it's usually asking for really great areas or houses. No one wants this poo hole... LOL. It may be tidy and looked after but so far no one wants to live here. Keep up trying though, you never know.

You never know.. really.. I never thought I would get a swap down here from MK.. I thought who the hell would want to live in MK but I got a swap but not through homeswapper.. from putting ads up in shops and on notice boards in local shops to here where I live now. Out of the blue I got a phonecall and now I am here where I wanted to be..

Thats one thing that puts me off swapping.. I am someone who can see past the mess, that can be sorted as can decor but for me its down to money.. not only can I not afford to move in itself, but I couldnt afford to make somewhere new my own nor do I have the stamina/ability to do so like I used to.. so I add that to the mix and just hope the blasted Bedroom Tax gets scrapped. Until then I will bury my feet well and truly in the ground and say I like living where I live an the bastards are not going to force me out... !!

Originally Posted by rainbow_hermit
    Hi MaggiMcgill

Sorry you're having the same trouble with homeswappers. I agree... I see some awful stuff on there!

Makes me laugh out loud at some of the photo's... they don't even bother to tidy up first! LOL

You either get dark, blurry, upside down shots of the loo; a snapshot of the bed (usually unmade); and a grubby, messy kitchen... he he. It shows you the mentality of the swappers... When I see one that has clearly been kept tidy and loved it's usually asking for really great areas or houses. No one wants this poo hole... LOL. It may be tidy and looked after but so far no one wants to live here. Keep up trying though, you never know.
    The following users think this post is groovy: MaggieMcgill