THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: A brilliant quote I just found.

Turning On

A brilliant quote I just found.

by Zygmunt Bauman, a famous Polish sociologist who died recently. On GDP as a measure of quality of life (translation is my own):

"Everyone would like to work 500 m from his home. Walk to work, pop in to home for lunch, after work spent time in the garden with kids and then eat dinner together. But for GDP it is much better if you work 50 km from home, you need to spend lot of time and money to commute everyday, you eat out (...) you have to hire a baby-sitter to look after your kids and a gardener to tend to your garden. And on the top of that, you are more likely to get overtime or second job, because you still struggle to pay for all this.

And if our lives are brought down to earning and spending money, we become most unhappy, most lonely and most absurd creatures in the word".

I would say "discuss" but I guess there is nothing to discuss here...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Duckman, Ecobob, etherea, marshlander, NomadicRT, Petew

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by orys
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I would say "discuss" but I guess there is nothing to discuss here...
    Except for the number of years it took you to truly understand, perhaps.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, Petew

I've only had 2 jobs that were further than 20 miles away.

The first employer provided a private coach, which luck had it drove by our farm house. My employer NCB paid every employee a mileage fee, which amounted to about 3.50 and was paid weekly. Eventually I rode to work on a motorbike.
    The only other time was when I worked in a (wood turning) factory for approx 6 months. My boss (a mate) was a life long junkie, along with his gf and our assistant.

Towards the end of my employment at the factory. I was driving to work in my own vehicle and fuel, driving past the factory to his gf home some 5 miles further on. I would get the pair of them out of bed. Wait for them to make a cup of tea, put a hit of smack together, shoot up. Then I would drive them both back to the factory, where my days earnings started. Fridays I would drive them via the bank ( to get my wages) and drop them both off in town. I didn't mind the extra mileage or hour on top. But it would have been nice to get paid for those hours in the morning or Friday evening.

After leaving the junkies to their thing. I worked for myself or for several other companies, businesses within my community or the next.

I've been very lucky to have had the best jobs in my working career. I've not had one job I didn't like or wouldn't like to do again.

Selfemployment often took me the furthest from where I lived and my family. At times I've taken my horse and dogs, as it was cheaper and quicker to live on the job and have my family visit me.

My last job required me to travel long distances attending courses and often required overnight accomadation. I had a company truck and digs allowance. Not a bad work life looking back.
    I could have worked accross the road, in a crap job, for crap money, but there's only so much gardening to do. I often went out to my allotment with the first cup of tea of the day. My first born I would share the task of getting her to and from school, starting from her first days at play school, infant school, juniors to her last days when leaving at 16. Only two years out of her school life did I pay towards a childminder doing her school run, when I took time out to study.

Life's a bitch, make sure it's right for you.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, Petew

Transcending
    I've recently started my own company, 5 years after I closed my last one because of the stress ( ran that one for 18 years ). I discovered that working for someone else was just as stressful, so thought I'd do my own thing again.

My workshop is 100yds from my kitchen door, although I will have to spend time on another site where the big machinery is because I don't have 3 phase electricity here.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    I've recently started my own company, 5 years after I closed my last one because of the stress ( ran that one for 18 years ). I discovered that working for someone else was just as stressful, so thought I'd do my own thing again.

My workshop is 100yds from my kitchen door, although I will have to spend time on another site where the big machinery is because I don't have 3 phase electricity here.
    What is it you do?

Transcending

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    What is it you do?
    CAD and CNC work. Until recently making boats, now working on musical instruments and instrument cases but have the facilities to fabricate almost anything from metal, wood or composites.

My old business was IT maintenance ( mostly component level electronic repairs ), but I decided 5 years ago that I wanted a complete change of scene so I upped sticks and bought a smallholding. A previous owner was jailed for growing tons of cannabis and built a huge barn for the purpose, that's now my workshop.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Ecobob, marshlander, Rick69

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    I have only spent eight years of my working life having a job in one place where I was expected to turn up every day. For the rest of those fifty-three years my work has involved being in different places every day. When I went self-employed eighteen years ago I used a cabin in the garden as an office/studio/instrument store. I loved going out of the back door and walking down the garden to my studio space. I had to leave that behind when I moved in with my father. I took over most of his garage, an internal one and part of his bungalow, but it was not the same at all. Since being on the boat most of my tools for work are stored eleven miles away and I miss having a studio ready to roll when I'm ready to use it.

So yes, I prefer the option proposed in the original post.

Hi Orys! Many, many moons ago I had a life like the preferred option in you thread starter. Sadly these times have long gone but I do try to keep to an only working and earning enough to keep the wolves from the door philosophy. Luckily I have no debts, an allotment and try to keep expenses to a minimum by cooking all meals from scratch, use all leftovers, make all that I can clotheswise etc. It,s not a dream existence but in these "money and possessions are how your worth is measured" days its all good.
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie