Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How, why and where forever.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    But if everybody did that, how much "environment" would be left?
    More than you can imagine. For years now plots of land, valuable habits have been ring fenced by people donating their body for burial around such places. To stop the encroachment of development and safeguard the habits for future generations.
    New woodlands and open spaces created. Old woodlands being a popular choice for green burials.

Valuable land in the heart of growing communities reserved for community development, especially housing.
    Not everybody wants to be buried. Church yards have been used over and over again.
    In the aftermath of great wars, massive cemeteries were created. These are usually well manicured and limited in wildlife value, although pleasing to the eye. New thinking in the terms of wilding cemeteries reduces maintenance costs, but benefits flora and fauna.
    Carbon storage, reduced energy use.
    It depends what you call "environment" mono species grass swaths and tarmac paths. Quarried headstones and gravel adjacent to urban sprawl or a mixture of meadow and woodland left alone for hundreds of years?
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    Some people are well organised, pays their pennies / month to the Co-op and have a plot to be buried in whilst others have done naught and are just leaving it to whoever cares if not a paupers sendoff.

Myself, I'm leaning towards cremation, the Kenneth Williams quip 'frying tonight' always made me laugh

apart from which, being stuck in a box underground does not appeal.

But what then.

Originally I had a viewpoint on the back of the Long Mynd in mind for the scattering

nearly the exact spot

then Arthurs Stone

but having seen the barrow in Wiltshire,

I'm torn between something like it and the Stone. The Stone has a good feel but the barrow does appeal, apart from the £1k but that's not my problem.

Apart from copping a terminal which is another option, the question for you is

1) Burial or cremation and why.
    2) Where do you want to rest and why.

Maybe a bit morbid but death is the only certainty in life.
    The Bishops Cannings one is very close to where we live.I had a look at it a while ago,but unfortunately its now full/reserved lol It also costs more than £1,000,I think it was closer to £4,000,but whatever it costs,you cant assume its not your problem.Who are you expecting to pay for it then?I'm not expecting my kids to pay for my funeral arrangements or anyone else for that matter.
    Depending on where I happen to be living at the time of my death,I will probably choose cremation,and ask my kids to scatter my ashes in some woodland/national park and perhaps plant a native tree in the spot.

Ive life and funeral insurance to cover the necessities .Ive a plot available in a family grave if i choose to use it but quite honestly i could care less where my shell goes,im not likely to be bothered, i dont think ill need it again.
    I dont like the idea of putrifying and rotting away in a boneyard too much, id rather be incinerated but i dont much like the idea of the environmental impact of cremation...so im still considering the options.
    I quite like the idea of being vaporised by a nuclear weapon then therell be no need for any disposal arrangements and no one will be worried about the environmental issues...maybe Mr Trump will oblige.
    I think possibly though for practical reasons ill be cremated and scattered on Luskentyre Beach opposite Taransay,Isle of Harris with my dog's ashes.Ill be 'home' then.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 12-01--2017 at 10:56 AM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket, dollybassett, marshlander, Wulfie

Stick me in a corner with a flex up my arse and a light bulb in my mouth, mind you would have to dry me out first.
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett

How about the soylent green scenario? Where we all get processed into human food?
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, NomadicRT, Wulfie

Its starting soon when the Government has the processing plants at the back of the hospitals set up.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Hope they start by eating the dead rich first.

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    I quite like the idea of being chopped up and chucked in a basket so i can rot - sky burial appeals the most because it's right in your face part of the natural cycle of all life - yes vultures come gauge my eyes out and feed your babies ... love it... nature is totally raw and in your face .. birth/breath/death... the thought of being stretched out in a casket makes me feel a bit sick... chop me up, whack me in a basket and chuck me in a hole and grow a tree - what an honour would that be huh? compost for a great oak
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket, marshlander

I'm happy to be in a woodland with a tree planted on top of me, if there is to be a coffin then cardboard will do, and I'd like the after party to be in a field with vans, busses, tents etc campfires and a bar there, maybe even have a hologram of myself dancing at the end of the bar hahaha, a few live bands on, all in all a small festival type experience

And if somebody could play "Going out in style" by The Dropkick Murphys that'd be grand.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket, Shroom

Originally Posted by Sarah
    I quite like the idea of being chopped up and chucked in a basket so i can rot - sky burial appeals the most because it's right in your face part of the natural cycle of all life - yes vultures come gauge my eyes out and feed your babies ... love it... nature is totally raw and in your face .. birth/breath/death... the thought of being stretched out in a casket makes me feel a bit sick... chop me up, whack me in a basket and chuck me in a hole and grow a tree - what an honour would that be huh? compost for a great oak
    I'm happy to run a green burial, deal with family requests. I feel passionate about putting funerals back in the hands of family and friends.
    I could chop folk up and throw bits of them around the place for consumption. I'm absolutely sure I couldn't do that to a loved one or for the family, not even for close friends. I would find that just too upsetting and it would stay with me.
    Having watched on film several sky burials. It is exactly that. Very raw, very real. The receiving birds are (around) already waiting. Even skirmishing amongst their hierarchy and jostling for scraps of body. It's very Mad Max. But a job I would consider doing.
    There is the far more socially excepted Sea burial of course. We don't have the aggressive meat eating sharks around our coast & there's only a few places around England where it's suitable to hold a sea burial. Avoiding having a decomposing body wash up on some beach or caught in fishing nets makes sense. Sea burial is not for me personally unless I went down with the ship.

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    I would love a sky burial, though preferably not for a while.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Ecobob, marshlander, Petew, Sootyfoot, wurzel

Originally Posted by wurzel
    I'm happy to be in a woodland with a tree planted on top of me, if there is to be a coffin then cardboard will do, and I'd like the after party to be in a field with vans, busses, tents etc campfires and a bar there, maybe even have a hologram of myself dancing at the end of the bar hahaha, a few live bands on, all in all a small festival type experience

And if somebody could play "Going out in style" by The Dropkick Murphys that'd be grand.
    You sound exactly the type of client I wanted to cater for. Allowing family and friends to openly visit your grave site and at strategic times of the year to collectively come together to "remember" celebrate the "day/night of the dead" and your life and death over the Summer Solstice etc. Let's see the government stopping that gathering like they tried In 2006. There would be a Country wide uproar. I estimated around a thousand green burials on the site. There's a dirt track to the site from the old church on the hill if anyone required that side of the ceremony. But it wouldn't be consecrated burial ground.
    I would ask that every deceased buried person leave a final testament, stating that they "wish for their body to be left undisturbed" once buried. This safeguards the cemetery from government compulsory purchase for development or the site in the future.
    If I buried folk standing up. The small burial ground could accommodate 5,000 burials and still have parking for vehicles and turf to dance upon, trees to grow.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, cricket, marshlander, Rick69, Shroom, Sootyfoot, wurzel

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    If I buried folk standing up. The small burial ground could accommodate 5,000 burials and still have parking for vehicles and turf to dance upon, trees to grow.
    At that density you would probably have subsidence problems! Mind you, you could just dig out a big pit and stack 'em at one end, like filling a silage clamp. You could also use a chip (like the one in your dog) to locate a specific corpse should the need arise.

At that density you would probably have subsidence problems! Mind you, you could just dig out a big pit and stack 'em at one end, like filling a silage clamp. You could also use a chip (like the one in your dog) to locate a specific corpse should the need arise.
    At 4840 yards in a acre, that's the planting desists of a commercial woodland taken over the size of my plot of land, if we are taking the maximum number of burials. But some couples may wish to be buried on top of a partner, after all. ( & not like a tube of smarties) Some partners have kept the other one under their feet for long enough while alive. I'm lucky the land is free draining and the bedrock sandstone. Many man made caves in the area locally. I could get a Boring auger for the back of the tractor or front of the unimog. Nice clean hole to "slip" them in. Ready made planting hole for a tree standard too. Make my own compost from the brashings recovered from trees during tree management.

Some green burial grounds do use a chip to locate and ID plots. Is not injected into the dead person, but buried alongside them. Think of the mischief if your were to rob a scanner from the vets and deliberately dig up chips and re-bury them randomly. Auntie Beth, white, British. Majority grave visitors. None white, South African. (Don't you dare you buggers!)

Heavenly Creature

Some green burial grounds do use a chip to locate and ID plots. Is not injected into the dead person, but buried alongside them. Think of the mischief if your were to rob a scanner from the vets and deliberately dig up chips and re-bury them randomly. Auntie Beth, white, British. Majority grave visitors. None white, South African. (Don't you dare you buggers!)
    Stiff & chips anyone?

that is probably the worst idea for a lamp i have ever heard.

Stick me in a corner with a flex up my arse and a light bulb in my mouth, mind you would have to dry me out first.

Originally Posted by cricket
    Dont leave me. Remember me sometimes. Just occasionally.

Heavenly Creature

Just imagine the anguish of the still living relatives of the people whose remains are going to be "scuffled up" next week! Wouldn't it be kinder and greener to shred corpses and dig 'em in when fresh(ish)? No need for hole digging then.

I bet someone has researched this.
    What anguish? Try to see common-sense! What is left in the ground after thirty or so years but a few bones? We are talking green burials here, not cast-iron coffins. If you have any knowledge of composting you will know that very little remains of any creature after only five or ten years, let alone thirty. They will have turned to soil again long before then.
    If you have feelings against ploughing up bones, you can use the ground for an orchard instead. That way you are not 'disturbing' anything. You are merely using it for a long-term food crop. But perhaps you are anguished at the possibility of eating a few of Uncle Joe's molecules?

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    What anguish? Try to see common-sense!
    Tell them, keith, if your heart is hard enough.

Originally Posted by cricket
    Yes, can you imagine tugging on the pullcord...

Too quote Diogenes when he was asked how he wanted to be buried: he left instructions to be thrown outside the city wall so wild animals could feast on his body. When asked if he minded this, he said, "Not at all, as long as you provide me with a stick to chase the creatures away!" When asked how he could use the stick since he would lack awareness, he replied "If I lack awareness, then why should I care what happens to me when I am dead?
    Love everyone, even those who hate you, because they need your love the most.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, oldkeith, Wulfie

Burial at Sea anyone? I don`t mind the idea of being fish food when my time is up.
    Cremation or a pyre and then being recycled back into the Earth would also be fine,TBH i`m not that bothered really.
    It would be nice to be a part of a new forest plantation too.Sustainable and a good blaze,all good.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, oldkeith

I don't really care what happens to my body once I'm gone. I'll probably be pleased to get rid of it. Its leaky and rickety these days.
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith, Petew