Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How, why and where forever.

Heavenly Creature
    Alice said he wanted me buried near him once. Failing that, I want a Viking funeral
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Yes i quite fancy a Viking type funeral except I'm not a wealthy man so I'd have to swap the gold coins in the eyes for mini cheddars.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, NomadicRT, Wulfie

Heavenly Creature
    Or that chocolate money you get at xmas
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Thought you may need a hug.Yes getting older is a drag re body degeneration hey.I want to be cremated then scattered all over.,by a rocket.Its not for me,I wont care ,but I dont want anyone I love chained to grave tending duties forever.I had to do that every single sunday as a kid,despite the departed being dust for 40 years.An aunt wouldnt even move to a far better place to be cared for by family due to a grave she wanted to be near,though the departed would have been horrified and told her to vamoose.I see the magnificence of near the alter shrines in cathedrals,paid for places for the priviliged to be closer to god.The sad irony is that for all their hope and loot they are dust in the ground same as us all in the end.

Originally Posted by Miss_bee
    I don't really care what happens to my body once I'm gone. I'll probably be pleased to get rid of it. Its leaky and rickety these days.
    I saw something recently, a death notice in the local paper to say he was dead and cremated already according to his wishes, before a public notice was put out.I thought maybe he had expected trouble at the funeral but then i thought how kind of him to spare everyone the dragged out sorrow and just be told after all was done.No worries for anyone left to sort stuff out.
    Last edited by cricket; 15-02--2017 at 10:10 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith

A few years back a lad I knew, single, 50s, went with the big C and he was into everything in the village and was well liked. His one instruction for his church funeral was nobody was to attend not even family. So just the vicar and that was it. Most odd but his wish was respected.
    Not all who wander are lost

Was just talking to someone today who has been researching no frills funerals. She is going to find out more, because all she really wants is her body disposed of.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, oldkeith

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Uncle jhad
    Alice said he wanted me buried near him once. Failing that, I want a Viking funeral
    You haven't gone and sold that boat, have you, Uncle Jhad?

Heavenly Creature
    I can never understand people tending graves of relatives etc for donkey's years, even if they disliked them.
    It's just a kind of morbid habit, and probably a cultural thing, as it doesn't happen everywhere in the world.

Respect for the dead is one thing, being tied to the place where lie their long-disintegrated remains is quite another.
    There are certainly many better ways to remember people, if you liked them, and forget them, if you didn't.

I have lost friends and relatives over the years, but I sure as hell don't wander around over their graves, moping about them.
    Whatever motivated their bodies is long gone, and maybe living elsewhere in time or space....
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, dollybassett

Maybe he wanted people to remember him how he was and not in a coffin.All the funeral stuff is very painful for those attending watching the coffin and the curtain closing behind it.

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    A few years back a lad I knew, single, 50s, went with the big C and he was into everything in the village and was well liked. His one instruction for his church funeral was nobody was to attend not even family. So just the vicar and that was it. Most odd but his wish was respected.
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett

as low as 800

Was just talking to someone today who has been researching no frills funerals. She is going to find out more, because all she really wants is her body disposed of.

That's a great price, cricket. I might take a look myself. Never could resist a bargain!

Heavenly Creature
    I didn't know they did that, Cricket.
    And at a much more sensible price than the average funeral! By golly, I do like a bargain cheapie, if it's good value

There may be a deal for quantity.Like 6 of us in together may get it down to 50 a peice.I dont mind sharing random body ash with others ,,,in the past I am shamed to say I have on occasion shared my body with a random others,only one at a time i may add.
    so no big deal.We could even spend the saving on a pre death party.Rock on hey.

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    I didn't know they did that, Cricket.
    And at a much more sensible price than the average funeral! By golly, I do like a bargain cheapie, if it's good value

I'm all for economy, but it might be difficult to try and all die around the same time.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Petew

we...or a trusted other could stockpile us in a freezer.Argos do big freezers.

I'm all for economy, but it might be difficult to try and all die around the same time.

Yep. Still way cheaper for those of us who pop off first to languish in a freezer and wait.

Heavenly Creature
    Perhaps this is how the 'bad' direct dispatch companies work, hinted at in the link supplied??
    Collect individual payments from everybody, then keep all the stiffs in a freezer until it's a full load, then into the furnace a load at a time?
    Mass production in reverse...., and what the eye don't see, the heart don't grieve, I suppose...

lone wolf survivalist.
    I always fancied a "sky burial" like the native Americans but i'm sure the council wont allow it, so we're going for a forest burial.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, nomis, oldkeith

If you want to go cheaply, heard on the radio today, donate your body to science and they just collect as and when. No frills, no bills and it furthers medical knowledge.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, oldkeith, Uncle jhad

Dead and lacking awareness maybe ,but im having trouble imagining my carcase being sawed up and poked about...what if i want to be a ghost?Will i be spiritually bound to my resting place in bits and bobs fragmented all over?My darling nan at 89 said she was going to do that as it seemed both useful and economical.Shortly before she passed on she said shed changed her mind as she considered her body was too decrepit to be of use.Bless her.Forset burials are lovely.I saw a documentary a while ago about meadow places where you can be laid to rest in a beautiful meadow.One lady had taken her mums body for a 3 day jaunt,I geuss longer gets unhygenic, to all their fave places,i geuss mum stayed in the van
    and then buried her herself in a lovely nature burial ground with a tree atop.

If you want to go cheaply, heard on the radio today, donate your body to science and they just collect as and when. No frills, no bills and it furthers medical knowledge.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis, Wulfie

Read about that, three days in a small motorhome, you'd certainly know she was there after just one so that was dedication.

Her mums body seemed very slight and maybe had to be sealed in a body bag before the officials would let her do it?We took a friends deceased pony to be buried on their land, by moonlight round the small back lanes heavily tarped as we feared prosecution.We thought there was a law about carting dead things around.May have been mistaken and just paranoid.

Read about that, three days in a small motorhome, you'd certainly know she was there after just one so that was dedication.
    This sounds a bit barmy reading it back.Was just one of those things you do for love that seemed the right thing to do at the time.

Originally Posted by Uncle jhad
    Alice said he wanted me buried near him once.
    Reading that back, it sounds a bit weird! A bit creepy.
    Had you upset me that day or summat?

sounds more like unrequited love to me.

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    Reading that back, it sounds a bit weird! A bit creepy.
    Had you upset me that day or summat?
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, oldkeith