THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How, why and where forever.

Sex
    Male

How, why and where forever.

Some people are well organised, pays their pennies / month to the Co-op and have a plot to be buried in whilst others have done naught and are just leaving it to whoever cares if not a paupers sendoff.

Myself, I'm leaning towards cremation, the Kenneth Williams quip 'frying tonight' always made me laugh

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

apart from which, being stuck in a box underground does not appeal.

But what then.

Originally I had a viewpoint on the back of the Long Mynd in mind for the scattering

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nearly the exact spot

then Arthurs Stone

but having seen the barrow in Wiltshire,

I'm torn between something like it and the Stone. The Stone has a good feel but the barrow does appeal, apart from the 1k but that's not my problem.

Apart from copping a terminal which is another option, the question for you is

1) Burial or cremation and why.
    2) Where do you want to rest and why.

Maybe a bit morbid but death is the only certainty in life.
    Not all who wander are lost

Transcending
    Sex
    Male
    I used to think I'd like to be cremated, but now I realise that it takes a load of fuel and gives nothing back, so now I want to be buried to feed the worms and become soil. A cardboard coffin would be best.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, wurzel

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    I used to think I'd like to be cremated, but now I realise that it takes a load of fuel and gives nothing back, so now I want to be buried to feed the worms and become soil. A cardboard coffin would be best.
    Good point on the green side but then where. The town cemetery, village churchyard or woodland.
    I've noticed woodland ones are on the increase, or just seen more articles of late.

Forgot to say but my dogs ashes will be with me.

Can I let you into a secret, we don't actually die, you will never have a final resting place because you will never be final. Over your many life times you will have been buried in many different ways, my advice for this life time, keep it simple.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Danann, essexcamper, Lightbringer, nicklincs, oldkeith, parrotandcrow, Petew, Uncle jhad, Wulfie, wurzel

Transcending
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    Good point on the green side but then where. The town cemetery, village churchyard or woodland.
    I've noticed woodland ones are on the increase, or just seen more articles of late.

Forgot to say but my dogs ashes will be with me.
    Far corner of my top field, next to my dogs.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Wulfie

Sex
    Male
    My late brothers ashes went into the council composting bin.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, TravellerNick

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    Maybe a bit morbid but death is the only certainty in life.
    Death and taxes.

Sex
    Male
    Someone mentioned sky burials the other day, now that appeals to me.
    I think it's in Tibet and parts of Mongolia where they live high up and it isn't practical or possible to bury the dead.
    Instead they take them up a mountain, hold a ceremony, chop them up and leave them out for the vultures.
    It's got to be the ultimate in re-cycling.
    Any resemblance to actual persons living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, Lightbringer, Sarah, Wulfie

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    I agree that cremation is wasteful, cardboard box or wicker basket would do me. There's only a few places that can do it at the mo but thinking some green corner of Wales with a tree plonked on my head would be great.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

Freeze dried and crushed. It's like cremation but preserves the nutrients. Then half thrown from cissbury hill (south downs) and half on the Level in Brighton.

Sex
    Female
    I want to be a tree

The following users think this post is groovy: Boaty McBoatface, Ecobob, FriedOnion

Tuning In
    Sex
    Female
    Alot of the people around here get buried in a canvas or specially made blanket on their own land, and have trees planted on and around them. The best funerals / celebration of lives gatherings I've ever attended. This sounds good to me, if I'm not lucky enough to die somewhere the animals get to dispose of me. ☺

The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Isn't it really hard to get permission to be buried on your own land?

Sex
    Male
    Apparently no problem at all.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by FriedOnion
    I agree that cremation is wasteful, cardboard box or wicker basket would do me. There's only a few places that can do it at the mo but thinking some green corner of Wales with a tree plonked on my head would be great.
    Quite lucrative apparently if you have a suitable woodland.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by FriedOnion
    Isn't it really hard to get permission to be buried on your own land?
    You don't need permission to get buried on land you own or have permission for burial on that land, unless it's smack on top of a listed plant or habitat or within ten meters of open water or a water extraction point. You can be buried in your garden if you want, you don't even have to notify anyone of the burial either during or after. You don't have to be buried. You can lay on the ground and be covered over. It is however an offence to course nusience. You can't just be sat in a chair in view and just decay.

I submitted planning application to open a green woodland burrial site in the 1990's when it was a relatively new alternative to the norm we ended up with after the Victorians made funeral such an expensive palaver. Strange men in black etc.
    There's loads of good options for green, environmentaly sustainable burial options. Some will safeguard areas of land for the benefit of wildlife and humans.

I do strongly suggest any burial is on NONE consecrated ground. That way it's a burial for death, not just 40 years or more.

Cremation is dirty, does use valuable energy resources, does pollute the environment close to the crematorium. Metals like mercury (teeth fillings) go up the chimney and fall to the ground within close proximity. Look up the green burial book, published by the Natural Death Centre.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, marshlander, wurzel

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    i gave it some thought after going to a recent funeral i want a nice service in an old church but not a religious type thing more a bit of humour i have a grave already so out of church to a good rock song an put in a big glass sided hearse pulled by four black stalions with them big black feather plooms on their heads taking the long way to the cemetry at walking pace only an a 3 mile tail back behind me papping hooters an screaming what wanker causing this
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    A good friend of ours tells us that she wants Meat Loaf's 'Bat Out Of Hell' played at her funeral!

I've noticed times that they don't play songs at funerals, just the tune? You usually get one as the coffin is brought in, and the other as it is taken out, or as the curtains are pulled if it's a cremation.
    I attended the funeral of a really hard-up neighbour way back, and they gently played the theme tune from Steptoe and Son; it kind of suited him, I guess he had a good sense of humour.

As for the OP's questions, I figure I'd prefer burial, especially a green burial, mostly for environmental reasons. Not really bothered where it is, as I don't figure on staying around long to admire the view.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

When my mum was being taken to the church, there was a mix up with the cars - they didn't turn up, so we all walked behind the hearse, there was about 30 people in total all walking, it took about 30 mins to get to the church and we had to go on a main road, but the lovely thing was people and cars just stopped and bowed their heads, it felt like a really respectable thing to do for another human being.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Cobra, cricket, marshlander, nicklincs, oldkeith, Sarah, Wulfie

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    ...I figure I'd prefer burial, especially a green burial, mostly for environmental reasons.
    But if everybody did that, how much "environment" would be left?

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    better than a car park why so critical all the time
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    But if everybody did that, how much "environment" would be left?
    You surely don't think we'd be in there forever? Get a grip, this is environmental stuff!

Plough it up good maybe thirty years after the last place is filled, scuffle up the bones, grind them up for bonemeal and scatter it back. You're all ready for planting, and can afford to let some place elsewhere lie fallow for a few years to use as a burial ground.

Burial grounds should be part of the cycle of return, not left unused forever.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, cricket, Ecobob, marshlander

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by convoy
    better than a car park why so critical all the time
    Youre confusing debate with criticism maybe? There is an element of criticism in taking an opposing view, but without it forums like this would be rather dull don't you think?

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    You surely don't think we'd be in there forever? Get a grip, this is environmental stuff!

Plough it up good maybe thirty years after the last place is filled, scuffle up the bones, grind them up for bonemeal and scatter it back. You're all ready for planting, and can afford to let some place elsewhere lie fallow for a few years to use as a burial ground.

Burial grounds should be part of the cycle of return, not left unused forever.
    Just imagine the anguish of the still living relatives of the people whose remains are going to be "scuffled up" next week! Wouldn't it be kinder and greener to shred corpses and dig 'em in when fresh(ish)? No need for hole digging then.

I bet someone has researched this.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, TravellerNick