Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: How, why and where forever.

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Wulfie
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    If you want to go cheaply, heard on the radio today, donate your body to science and they just collect as and when. No frills, no bills and it furthers medical knowledge.
    A good idea, but some places want you to dispose of the remains afterwards now. Others use the hospital crematorium, if it's got one, so you can become fertiliser, which is all good.
    One more good thing about it is that after being thoroughly dissected you can be pretty sure of being really really dead, so you won't be waking up as your body goes down the chute, or as the earth crashes onto the coffin...
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

both my parents are signed up for leaving bodies for research ,looking through the paperwork I have on hand here at my dads place it would appear that they get the cadavar (assuming its in good nick and 'meats' their criteria) for 24 months then they cremate and return the ashes .
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Wulfie

I watched a tv programme about some people who had donated their bodies. It showed the last months of their lives, their bodies being embalmed, shaved, and used for medical students. A lot of their families were very upset by their decision. The last part showed a lovely memorial service which the hospital did, reading out all their names, and lighting a candle in honour of them.

I saw that too.It seemed very respectful.Depends on persons perception of after death relevance of body i suppose.I see my body as a vessel for my soul.After my soul is passed my body will be irrelevant to me but deserving reverence for carting my being around for all those years.For those who love me who remain walking the earth,they may wish to do something with my remains to express as the last gesture of physically expressed love .All of us are to return whence we came.I do not understand why discussion of death is not more prevalent.Talking about it wont make it happen,but may ease the way for those we leave.

Originally Posted by Miss_bee
    I watched a tv programme about some people who had donated their bodies. It showed the last months of their lives, their bodies being embalmed, shaved, and used for medical students. A lot of their families were very upset by their decision. The last part showed a lovely memorial service which the hospital did, reading out all their names, and lighting a candle in honour of them.
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith

It made for quite difficult watching, I think. Which really is ridiculous, considering we all are going to die. Its very strange seeing a living, sentient being become an object after they have passed away.

Yes it was weird feeling watching.The fascinating but difficult tv thing for me was that Dr doing dissections on tv,the swiss Dr.Do you remember that a couple of years ago?

It made for quite difficult watching, I think. Which really is ridiculous, considering we all are going to die. Its very strange seeing a living, sentient being become an object after they have passed away.
    It is strange death.I have been with many persons passing in pallative care and within seconds of the last breath their body slumps,so incredibly heavy and still,truly abandoned by spirit.

Oh yes, I used to watch that doctor. Very, very unsettling, but riveting viewing. And all of the bodies used were of volunteers. I'm sure I've seen some of his stuff on YouTube too. Some quite risque 'sculptures' of human and animal bodies. I suppose to some, it might be a way of 'carrying'on after death?

I've also been with folk as they passed away, as I worked in elderly care for years. I dont know if its still practiced, but as care staff, we would lay them out.

Did you notice the same seeming abandonment of body?

I've also been with folk as they passed away, as I worked in elderly care for years. I dont know if its still practiced, but as care staff, we would lay them out.

Oh absolutely without a doubt, cricket. Its remarkable, I think, how aware you are that the person is 'gone'. Where that may be, or whatever else one believes in, there is no doubt that all that's left is an empty shell.

Originally Posted by cricket
    sounds more like unrequited love to me.
    That be the hippy in me. Even that sounds dodgy.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Donate your body to science!!

Originally Posted by Uncle jhad
    Alice said he wanted me buried near him once. Failing that, I want a Viking funeral
    Maybe burnt at the stake?

Originally Posted by dollybassett
    Can I let you into a secret, we don't actually die, you will never have a final resting place because you will never be final. Over your many life times you will have been buried in many different ways, my advice for this life time, keep it simple.
    Soooo Be True Dolly
    )
    We Just Go To The Forever Sleep Until We Be Awakened
    )
    Form From The Void & Mists

Originally Posted by dollybassett
    Can I let you into a secret, we don't actually die, you will never have a final resting place because you will never be final. Over your many life times you will have been buried in many different ways, my advice for this life time, keep it simple.
    Wish I could believe that and maybe deep down I do. Beautiful thought!

Heavenly Creature
    Sir Edwin Arnold, the poet and writer, is often quoted with these verses from the The Bhagavad-Gita:

'Nay, it is but as when one layeth his worn-out robes away,

And taking new ones, sayeth, "These will I wear to-day!"

So putteth by the spirit, lightly its garb of flesh,

And passeth to inherit a residence afresh.'

When I first discovered Hindu and Buddhist ideas about reincarnation, at about the age of 12, I was blown away. I just knew that I had heard these ideas before; it was like somebody had just opened a big sunny window on the gloomy Christian darkness I had been brought up with.
    It was only much later that I found out some of the early Christians had these ideas too, but they had been kicked out of the Bible during the many changes made to it over the years.

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    I used to think I'd like to be cremated, but now I realise that it takes a load of fuel and gives nothing back, so now I want to be buried to feed the worms and become soil. A cardboard coffin would be best.
    Our local crematorium in Redditch is used to heat the town swimming pool.
    For me it's a wicker coffin with sunflowers, cremation then scatter my ashes in the bay at Llanbedrog in Wales. No one man owns the oceans and I want to be free where no man can own me!
    There's a fab song called Carry Me Away by the Saw Doctors that I want played when they scatter me.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, oldkeith

Tuning In
    I know what I want, you can now have your body put in a big sack which I presume is bio degradable, then a hole is dug and as your in the feotal position, you take up less space. I really like the notion of going down in the feotal position, as I was in the womb, as I will be in the earth. then a tree sapling is placed on top you then the hole filled in. I'd rather it be in some wild place as part of a woodland or forest rather than rowed up all regimental as in cemetery style. R ather than just rotting away in a box into a glutinous stinking liquid I would be used up as nutrients and food in a bio diverse rich environment.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, oldkeith

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by wizard1luv
    ...... Rather than just rotting away in a box into a glutinous stinking liquid I would be used up as nutrients and food in a bio diverse rich environment.
    Delicious!