THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Bali and Japan

Not Quite a Noobie Nomadic monster's Avatar

Bali and Japan

Hello everyone :-)
    My wife and I are going to Bali and Japan in June, we have 3 weeks in each country and were hoping to get some personal recommendations as to where to go. We like quiet, local and rural areas away from tourist hotspots.
    Thanks in advance!

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    I found Japan amazing, I was very surprised at the differences to the European parts of the world, I ended up taking pics of everything, much like they do over here.

I can't think of anywhere specific, the world heritage sites are a good bet, the castles are nice, the volcano (I'm terrible with names) and if you like wildlife there's an island to the North that has snow monkeys that I'm sure would be easy to find with a search engine.

One thing I'd say is I didn't find many people that speak English outside of cities, even in cities it was limited, that surprised me compared to most places I have visited.

Thank you for your answer :-)
    We are flying in to Osaka and out of Tokyo and we are going to do a loop. Unfortunately will not get to see the monkeys, but I have seen a documentary on them, so that will have to suffice!

Never been down that way, sounds like a bloody nice summer ahead of you though
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    don't forget the camera
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.

I'm really looking forward to it, sun sea and jungle! I'm very lucky :-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: wurzel

Have you tried the "Lonely Planet"guide books?From what I remember they were very spot on with non glossed info born of real travellers experience rather than the tourist board.They also are updated regularly and give both positive and negative information on places.

Originally Posted by Nomadic monster
    Hello everyone :-)
    My wife and I are going to Bali and Japan in June, we have 3 weeks in each country and were hoping to get some personal recommendations as to where to go. We like quiet, local and rural areas away from tourist hotspots.
    Thanks in advance!

Thanks Cricket, I'll take a look :-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket