THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you have an ambition?

Heavenly Creature

Do you have an ambition?

I suspect that each of us has a built-in ambition which dictates how we spend most of our lives, and that there are ways in which it can be changed to some other sincerely desired goal, which can change our lives totally and permanently.

Could I be right?

I remember having those once....
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

I am gonna lead up the first female jockey to win the Epsom Derby.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Roamer
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I am gonna lead up the first female jockey to win the Epsom Derby.
    And then? Die with a smile on your face?

Do you mean an ambition or do you mean ambition.

Do you have one/some?

You could be right. I feel I have an overpowering ambition and all of the subjects and activities am interested in seem to be working towards that one main ambition

I am interested in growing my own food, hunting, fishing, foraging, DIY, cycling, computer programming and web design, archery, wild camping, making music, brewing beer, frugal living, cooking from basic ingredients, first aid, amateur radio including building my on simple radios, low impact living and building techniques, off grid living, independent money generation, paying less tax etc

I think my overpowering ambition is greater self reliance and minimal reliance on the state. Everything I am interested in -whether consciously or not- seems to be leading to this end goal.

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Boaty McBoatface, Brynhyffryd, Ecobob, nicklincs, Wulfie, zendaze

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    yup. stay breathing
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Lightbringer, ma bungo, parrotandcrow, zendaze

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Same as mine H
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, parrotandcrow

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    Same as mine H
    Well, that's an ambition alright, and success comes with every breath, so I won't knock it, in fact I won't knock any ambition, it's a nasty thing to do.

I was wondering more about whether people believed in the power of ambition than what their true ambitions are, that's a bit personal for some.

A successful old chap told me once - we were sitting in the kitchen of the terraced cottage he was born in - that he knew from an early age there was no point in having an ambition, as he was always sure he would end up back where he started. Go figure!

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by aman
    You could be right. I feel I have an overpowering ambition and all of the subjects and activities am interested in seem to be working towards that one main ambition

I am interested in growing my own food, hunting, fishing, foraging, DIY, cycling, computer programming and web design, archery, wild camping, making music, brewing beer, frugal living, cooking from basic ingredients, first aid, amateur radio including building my on simple radios, low impact living and building techniques, off grid living, independent money generation, paying less tax etc

I think my overpowering ambition is greater self reliance and minimal reliance on the state. Everything I am interested in -whether consciously or not- seems to be leading to this end goal.
    Good for you Paul, having done all of that (bad at most of it) I can empathise.

Transcending

Paul
    Spooky. If you took out "computer programming and web design" and substituted "CNC programming and CAD design" then it describes me almost perfectly.

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Not really at the mo & it bothers me a bit. I'm not so much one for ambitions but I like to have some kind of minimal plan or direction.

Paul

I have an ambition to also be less reliant on others. I would like to grow more of my own food, I do grow a fair amount of fruit, but would like to be more successful at growing veg as well. I tried the brewing beer and I learned a lot from it but found it a lot of effort compared to cider (I also tend to have an abundance of apples which makes it easier!) I would also like to work for myself again rather than for someone else. I have done in the past but would change direction this time.
    It's a case of getting the balance right, I earn just about enough to cover the bills now but if I could reduce those bills then I wouldn't have to rely on a fixed income.
    So basically my ambition is to be more self sufficient in all areas,
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, nicklincs, zendaze

Heavenly Creature
    Well, the self-impovement crowd have more or less owned the representation of ambition for the last 50 years or so, and their shoutiness and $$$$ talk puts a lot of people off. ***

I was pondering about the success of immigrants, whether economic migrants or political refugees, and it struck me that they are more likely to have a vision of a wondrous future here and the ambition to achieve it when their poor old brit neighbours just bitch about the price of everything and immigrants stealing their jobs.

Maybe you need an enormous kick up the arse to see a future which you desire and to know that you can grasp it?

*** added ***
    Self-improvement is an American obsession, perhaps the American obsession, which started with the writings of Benjamin Franklin in "Poor Richard's Almanac" in the 1730s, and of course he did not get all of his ideas from thin air!
    Last edited by Brynhyffryd; 14-01--2017 at 02:16 PM.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    My only real ambition is for things to remain on an even keel of how they are now , I could not want for more ,other than perhaps a few more grandchildren , and that is beyond my control

For about 6 years I was sucked into the whole make 35k as a personal trainer whilst helping people. Problem was I got into it all just before personal trainers were being churned out on funded government courses. Much like when I became a doorman. I was making good money until government funded courses churned out more doorstaff leading to undercutting and stagnant even reducing wages.

I'm currently sorting the aftermath of the personal training business.

Now I just want to earn enough to get me by. I'm used to living on little so for the moment I intend to enjoy less stress in my life.

Current abition be free in my van and pay some debts whilst having some quality of life.

The following users think this post is groovy: zendaze

I think Pablo Picasso summed up my ambition very nicely

"I want to live the life of a poor man with lots of money"

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Boaty McBoatface, Brynhyffryd, ma bungo, Sootyfoot

My only ambition is to obtain peace for the rest of my life.After coming from a dysfunctional family,marrying the wrong man the first time around,all I really want right now,and for the rest of my life,is to live in peace,and be as happy as I can be.
    Ambition in the workforce never appealed to me.Its not through lack of confidence,more a lack of wanting to acquire more money for more bullshit material stuff I dont want/need.I work full time in a menial type job,and as long as I can keep a roof over my head,and save a little,thats all that really matters to me.
    I used to work a fairly menial easy job within the NHS.My unit was closed,and I was offered a promo,as a manager in a nearby town.My gut feeling was not to do it,but as I wanted to stay in the NHS (pension plan etc)I had little choice but to take it.The bullshit I encountered being a manager,having to mix with other managers who's ego's were hugely inflated,the corruption,the backstabbing,never again!
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, zendaze

Nope not at the moment, I'm just taking life as it comes and Hoping it works out ok. I've accomplished everything I wanted to, the rest I'm not going to worry about. This is why I'd like a man with some ambition so I'd be more driven.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by NickJ
    Problem was I got into it all just before personal trainers were being churned out on funded government courses.
    That's pretty sinister, govt-trained personal trainers.

What exactly does a personal trainer do, Nick?

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Cobra
    My only ambition is to obtain peace for the rest of my life.After coming from a dysfunctional family,marrying the wrong man the first time around,all I really want right now,and for the rest of my life,is to live in peace,and be as happy as I can be.
    Interesting one because peace can only come from inside you, many people think first of an external target, like wealth or being PM etc. How do you measure success on personal your road to peace? You can't say "today I banked a couple of grand" or "today I broke another record for chicken packing". How do you know you are moving towards your goal?

Chicken packing olympics! One for my many fabulous ideas book

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    Chicken packing olympics! One for my many fabulous ideas book
    Anything with breasts, thighs and rubber gloves will attract a certain following.

Chickens packing humans would also be worth exploring.

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    Anything with breasts, thighs and rubber gloves will attract a certain following.

Chickens packing humans would also be worth exploring.
    Are you a breast, thigh and rubber gloves kind of guy? Lol

Yes chickens packing humans!! Amazing!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd