THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: I love it when a plan comes together!

I love it when a plan comes together!

I'm hoping this is the right place on the forum. Appologies if its not.

A few of you may know from my previous posts I recently moved into my transit van I got for 300. Initially it was going to be my weekend van but given my living situation at the time it made more sense to full time in my van.

Previously I spent 2 years living in an industrial unit where I previously ran my business. My motivation for living there was to save money and focus on my business. By the time my 1st year was up I was probably depressed. I never saw a doctor but I would go days not leaving the building, not eating properly. My only human interaction was my dwindling customer base who would visit my business for 45min at a time on two occasions some days.

For 6 months it was like that before I decided I needed to get a proper job. The situation then was having to pay for a business lease I was locked into for another 18months. However I did inform my landlord I was out of business.

I decided I would continue to try pay the monthly rent despite other debts racking up until about November when I moved into my van. I figured then I would scale back the rent I'm paying so the landlord could see I'm struggling.

I spoke to them before Christmas and they said pay whatvI can clear the place out and we'll have a discussion in the new year.

I spoke to them yesterday and I can early surrender my lease on 23rd of this month. Saving me 10months of rent ie about 3500 saved or essentially knocked off my overall debt.

My family thought I was a bit nuts wanting to live in my van. For my girlfriend it was essentially the last straw. Apparently living in a small commercial garage is more acceptable than a van. Or maybe the fact I'm genuinely happy I have something I call home that happens to be a van.

Anyway my Freedom Van is paying off. In two weeks I wont be tied to coming back to my unit to sort stuff out. I will finally be able to go spend my weekends were I like 😊

If I carrying on like this I can see an end to debt within 2-3 years. 3 months ago I was almost at the point of throwing in the towel and going bankrupt.

Also a big thanks to all you helpful hippies for your advice over the past 2-3months 😊

The following users think this post is groovy: aman, lisaroseuk, marshlander, nicklincs, NomadicRT, Petew, quintessence, realnutter, Rick69, Shroom, Sootyfoot, ursus, Wulfie, wurzel

I read your initial posts when I first joined the forum and your situation crossed my mind from time to time. I didn't have any constructive advice to offer so i didnt comment but I felt for you, I'm so very pleased things are turning round! A lovely update.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by lisaroseuk
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I read your initial posts when I first joined the forum and your situation crossed my mind from time to time. I didn't have any constructive advice to offer so i didnt comment but I felt for you, I'm so very pleased things are turning round! A lovely update.
    Thank you Lisa.

When I joined the forums I was probably just past my lowest ebb but thats way behind me now.

Finally there is light ahead of me. In fact all of a sudden things have just starting happening if you know what I mean.

Its like any bad karma I had over me has gone and I'm doing something right.

Apart from the obvious example above I ran a sports team from my premises for a couple of years. This was one thing that I had to stop last year.

The local university contacted me the other day asking if I needed a home for my team.

2017 the comeback 😊

The following users think this post is groovy: aman, lisaroseuk, parrotandcrow, Wulfie

Make 2017 onwards and upwards
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: lisaroseuk, NickJ

Originally Posted by NickJ
    Thank you Lisa.

When I joined the forums I was probably just past my lowest ebb but thats way behind me now.

Finally there is light ahead of me. In fact all of a sudden things have just starting happening if you know what I mean.

Its like any bad karma I had over me has gone and I'm doing something right.

Apart from the obvious example above I ran a sports team from my premises for a couple of years. This was one thing that I had to stop last year.

The local university contacted me the other day asking if I needed a home for my team.

2017 the comeback 😊
    I've got a good feeling about 2017 too, may it be full of everything you need!

The following users think this post is groovy: NickJ

Keep it up and keep your head held high. To achieve what you have done takes big balls and as a person also paying off massive debts I wish you all the luck in the world.

The trouble is, you think you have time.

The following users think this post is groovy: lisaroseuk, NickJ

Noobie
    Have you thought about getting a temporary or seasonal full time job. That would give you some funds, and when it's over you could go back to looking for part time work. Your best life plan is to find something you like doing and just do that. Wether it's full time or part time.

Other ideas are volunteering for the woodland trust (that would be my choice) or a volunteering role in a field that really interests you and gets you skills and friends.

Originally Posted by appletwig
    Have you thought about getting a temporary or seasonal full time job. That would give you some funds, and when it's over you could go back to looking for part time work. Your best life plan is to find something you like doing and just do that. Wether it's full time or part time.

Other ideas are volunteering for the woodland trust or a volunteering role in a field that really interests you and gets you skills and friends.
    I am working full time and although I'm not totally happy with it I am seeing an end to being in debt and living life a bit.

I'm more than happy doing full time work. I'll take overtime if I feel like it but I dont want to fall into the trap of live to work.

I was considering looking into some woodland volunteering at some point. I'm happy not getting into the "housing market" but I'm really liking the idea of owning my own piece of woodland one day. But we'll see.

One big lesson I've learned is one thing at a time. Or just dont try to do too much.

Now I getting out of my lease I'm going to get back into training and competition. I'm going to take time out to learn guitar and generally enjoy life a bit more 😊

The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, nicklincs, Petew

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    Congratulations and best wishes.

Chilling Out
    Nice one, we're also looking to get out of 'stuck' this year, although not (yet) facing the sort of hardship it sounds like you're pulling through.

Strength!
    The following users think this post is groovy: NickJ

Originally Posted by Alf M
    Nice one, we're also looking to get out of 'stuck' this year, although not (yet) facing the sort of hardship it sounds like you're pulling through.

Strength!
    It doesnt feel so hard once you see stuff changing but prior to moving into my van I was probably at breaking point.

Actually looking forward to the rest of this year once this weekends lease handover preparations are done 😊

Originally Posted by Alf M

Strength!
    I hope you start to feel like your pulling your way out of it soon.