THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Uni and Part Time Jobs

Turning On

Uni and Part Time Jobs

So both of my flatmates work; one works as a nurse and the other as a waitress. I feel really shit sometimes about it because it seems EVERYONE else can get a job but me. Every job I apply for, I get rejected because I don't have much experience. What pisses me off the most is that these companies don't realise I will work really hard at the job to be the best I can, but no they don't give me the chance. Sometimes when I think about things, having a part time job would be tricky as I go home at the end of every trimester and these companies would be expecting me to work, especially over the busy periods like Xmas and Easter. I feel I need one though because I feel like a loser, sitting about the flat most days doing fuck all. It's like my self esteem depends on this.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by AnnaCruz911
    ... sitting about the flat most days doing fuck all.
    so get out there and busk.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum

No idea of your economic situation obviously.

Bryn is a bit of a hero and somewhat confused by his sense of pride and lack of affiliation to any stance whatsoever. Pay little attention.

The work is not so easily available as it was and is to most posters on this site.

Even zero hour contracts want the commital of your soul before they will slave you for minimum wage.

Do you have a backstory or context to share or do posters like the evasive bryn put you off?....or something else?

Good luck anyway......its a much harder world to grow into than most posters here care to acknowledge.
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, parrotandcrow

I was in a similar situation this time last year. Only that I needed full time work as I'm not at uni.

I had been out of the employment game for 3-4 years. I couldn't apply for any of my previous job roles because I had let qualifications and licenses lapse. Plus security work and lifeguarding is boring. I needed to be kept busy otherwise I start thinking up my next scheme to take over the world 😈

So after realising I couldnt do my previous jobs. I didnt know where to start looking. I didnt know what I would be capable of. Well to be honest I know my capabilities. There isnt a job or task I cant do or learn but how can you get a potential employer to see this.

In the end I bit the bullet and signed up at the dreaded job agency.

I was lucky. The agency I signed up to have a pretty good reputation and dont deal with food factories etc.

My first and only assignment was in a wood factory. Early on I decided its not a bad "shit" job. Its not what I'd hoped to be doing but it has been a big step in helping me get back on my feet.

I grafted my arse off for 12 weeks making very loud noises about wanting a full time contract. I now have my contract and in march I will have been there a year.

Get yourself out there and sign up for some agencies. Take what ever you can/what ever is offered. Dont turn work down because you think its beneath you. Try it. Most agency's will be good and reasign you if you really dont like a job. As long as you've finished the shift or continue to work until you are reasigned.

You must have some skills already useful to an employer. What are your strengths at uni? Are you organised? Great with data input?

I lifted kettlebells competitively. I got the mostly manually repetitive job in the place initially. A job most blokes complained about.

If you rely on the usual student jobs waitressing and bar work etc you will have to work holidays like christmas. But there are plenty of other jobs that are more flexible with your holidays. Any job now must give you holiday entitlements which you could use for going home at Christmas etc.

Sorry for the long post. But there are jobs out there. Even to fit around a unit course which after the first year contact time can be pretty low meaning you can easily fit work in.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

The following users think this post is groovy: AnnaCruz911

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by zendaze
    ..its a much harder world to grow into than most posters here care to acknowledge.
    ...or maybe even know about. In my young and broke days I discovered a formula for getting employed - I went door to door in industrial estates** until I got an offer. I would do it again today, but with a few cvs in my pocket (saw a shop window ad for a part-time shop assisant last summer, they wanted a cv!). At least you get to talk to people and have the opportunity to share a laugh or a smile with them, many people are amazingly helpful even if they don't employ you.

** what you would do in the country, god knows.

Turning On
    I got in touch with Jobspot, which is a recruitment agency in Ayr - I have to meet with them on Wednesday @ 11am. Wish me luck!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Daisysmum, ursus

I got in touch with Jobspot, which is a recruitment agency in Ayr - I have to meet with them on Wednesday @ 11am. Wish me luck!
    Good Luck

Turning On

Originally Posted by NickJ
    Good Luck
    Thank you

Grew up in the country.

Have myself been door to door.

Aye....a smile and a chat and bit of helpful info.

Im not sure what you are insinuating.....seems like some kind of negative, power conundrum to me.

When I were lad we still had an outside toilet and village bobby murdered his wife.....

Space.and peace would fit well with most......slaving in an underpaid economy to live in cold and damp cells where you can hear everyones business isnt really on point with evolution and the information age.
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett

unleash my pharma powers! Daisysmum's Avatar
    He's not insinuating anything other than his situation was different and growing up somewhere rural is something he hasn't any experience off**

**Guessing? I would HATE to be considered to be putting words in anyones's mouth.

I used to go to Ayr regularly because of the diving pit and swimming pool. For Scotland there it is positively cosmopolitan. I guess it depends on the industry you are trying to break into.

The village bobby murdering his wife and the outside toilet - come to the Highlands or possibly the Borders but run fast and choose your direction carefully

Ooooh......well pointed out!!!

I read the post as being more personal to me.....

Thanks for setting me straight.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Daisysmum
    He's not insinuating anything other than his situation was different and growing up somewhere rural is something he hasn't any experience off**
    Note from "him":

You're close, mum, but it is regular paid employment out of town that I've never attempted, it's just not the place to play my "numbers game" - canvas 100 addresses, hope for a handful of positive responses. It's a sales technique! I had some sales training a long time ago and it's one of the things that sticks... because it works, every time. Most people find processing the "No"s difficult, for myself, I would rather have a "No" face to face than just silence after I've sent an application, cv, bought a stamp, etc. I did get a bit more up to date when I last used the technique in 1993, sending out ~200 cvs to agencies one night by fax, was in work within a few days. Same would work now via email but for agencies being picky about the format of the cv, etc.

Footnote on dealing with "No"s which might possibly help the OP:
    is aimed at salespeople but when we are up for a job we are all salespeople!

Apologies for the overuse of the gender specific pronoun Brynhyffryd. I've done telesales and teleappointments and my husband did sales; every no is just one step closer to a yes.

You sound like you have taken it to a larger scale than my cold calling! I guess there is only so much one woman and a phone book can do.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

If you don't mind working in a supermarket we have people who study and work where I am and go home in the holidays and work in their local branch seems to work well
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

When I was at uni, I found a couple of holiday jobs through the uni careers office, and got a part time job in the uni library. Holiday jobs are good for both parties, as you get some experience and they don't have to worry about getting rid of you if you turned out to be unsuitable.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by NBYasmin
    If you don't mind working in a supermarket we have people who study and work where I am and go home in the holidays and work in their local branch seems to work well
    That's creative thinking on the part of the supermarket. Which one is it?

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by 2wheelsgood
    Holiday jobs are good for both parties, as you get some experience and they don't have to worry about getting rid of you if you turned out to be unsuitable.
    I took part-time jobs from the age of 15 to 25, must have learned a lot of skills which are still paying back, particularly people skills, construction skills and not being an irresponsible knobhead - it's not all about the cash in your hand, even though that's how it seems at the time! .

Originally Posted by NBYasmin
    Sadly the issue is on 'bad' days I cant hack supermarkets even for shopping. I shop on line. Have abandoned too many trolleys and fled to the visual stimulus free comfort of the ladies.

Its a pain in the posterior. My husband secretly loves it, only man who is never dragged round shops.

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    I took part-time jobs from the age of 15 to 25, must have learned a lot of skills which are still paying back, particularly people skills, construction skills and not being an irresponsible knobhead - it's not all about the cash in your hand, even though that's how it seems at the time! .
    Parents had a shop. I rather think my first 'job' contravened child labour laws but I was family so what the hell. I earned pocket money helping gran clean the shop at night and customers thought it was cute that I could count back change but barely see over the counter unless I stood on a step.

When I was older I got up every morning, helped with the management of the shop in the morning pricing, serving etc., delivered local papers and was generally very glad when I got the job at the local pool.

Having had customer service skills drummed into me since I was five sometimes it is shocking the way staff treat customers. The standard of customer service skills and communication skills on telecommunications jobs seems to have deteriorated hugely from the time that I worked there.

So both of my flatmates work; one works as a nurse and the other as a waitress. I feel really shit sometimes about it because it seems EVERYONE else can get a job but me. Every job I apply for, I get rejected because I don't have much experience. What pisses me off the most is that these companies don't realise I will work really hard at the job to be the best I can, but no they don't give me the chance. Sometimes when I think about things, having a part time job would be tricky as I go home at the end of every trimester and these companies would be expecting me to work, especially over the busy periods like Xmas and Easter. I feel I need one though because I feel like a loser, sitting about the flat most days doing fuck all. It's like my self esteem depends on this.
    Hey. Just thought I'd see how you was getting on.

Hows the job search.

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    That's creative thinking on the part of the supermarket. Which one is it?
    Hiya sorry just seen this it's Sainsbury's they're not bad to work for

Turning On

Originally Posted by NickJ
    Hey. Just thought I'd see how you was getting on.

Hows the job search.
    Hi Nick,
    I've had a few offers but they've only been for FULL TIME hours, which is no use to me, and that Jobspot place that I had an interview at was pointless. They only help you get a job if you're mentally ill or a refugee for example. Anyway there's no point me trying to get a job here now as I'm flying back to Belfast in 5 weeks time. With any luck, I may be going back to the call centre I worked at before I started uni, but we'll see what happens. I don't want to sign on over the break. I've signed on 3 times in my life and even though I was on it for 3 months maximum, I found it so demeaning. Wish me luck.

Tuning In
    We all wish you luck

Bar work is always fun and working as an extra on a TV/movie set. Yes it is a lot of waiting around but the money is decent per job and you get to meet a lot of awesome people.