THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's religion all about?

Heavenly Creature

What's religion all about?

What is religion all about?

Religions remind me of dating websites, under the surface they have an awful lot in common.

Are they all nonsense? Can more than one of them make sense?

I'm now seeing religion as a tool to assist in the control of money and material wealth through people power. At the root of all religions lay the greatest hoard of financial gain and holdings a individual can be associated with. Like the electronic money of today (that only exists on paper) religious financial wealth is guarded by belief. All religions empower the followers to invest. If all religions were to be liquidated. The worlds real monetary/material wealth would be in no more than half a dozen piles. To control this money, is to influence the minds and actions of believers & followers, all a religion needs to do is to just "be". Throughout time money/wealth has been guarded through fear, hope, promise and war. Religion is entwined in business without compassion. Enforced by greed through crusade.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Lightbringer, marshlander, oldkeith, Wulfie

Religion- noun - the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

Depending upon the culture, how civilised they are is represented to a great extent in their religion which is only the 'teachings' of man and no more, with guidelines on how to live their lives. Where it gets screwed up, it's upheld by man who has failings and they make belief of their religion their weapon against anyone who's different for various reasons. AW hits a lot of direct failings of religion.

Peace and love are buried in most religions by ignorance which breeds hate.

For me religion is, or should I say, try to make it, peace, love and harmony with Mother Nature without trying to force my views on anyone except myself.

I have the imprint of Christianitys dogma as I was brought up that way but it's changed to an extent nowadays to encompass Nature, maybe the same God as She's never spoken to me or slapped me up the back of the head to say I'm wrong. Christmas pisses me off as it's just an excuse for a load of folk to spend spend spend and spend some more so they then plead poverty just for one special day which they have failed to understand and use as an excuse for gluttony. As soon as that day is over bloody Easter eggs are in the shops. Religion can carry the sign for so many arseholes instead of the buried meaning. My head hurts and it's time for my coffee.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Cobra

In a word 'Control'

paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Cobra, Lightbringer, marshlander, oldkeith, Rick69

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    For those who deliberately start a religion and the bosses who follow on from them:
    1. Money
    2. Power

For the followers:
    1. A sense of place and purpose.
    2. Companionship.
    3. Ready-made answers to complex questions.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, dustydave, Lightbringer, oldkeith, Shroom

Heavenly Creature
    My imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend.
    Let's start a war.
    My imaginary friend says women should dress like a black post box.
    Lets start a war
    My imaginary friend says I can't eat that.
    Lets start a war.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

My grandma has been brain washed by her church, she believes that giving money to the church will ensure her a ticket to heaven!!! She has paid for the church to have a new roof, she paid for a new fancy bench with that mouse on it for the church. To me religion is all about money

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    she paid for a new fancy bench with that mouse on it for the church.
    Your grandma worships Disney?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, parrotandcrow

Heavenly Creature
    Not much enthusiasm for religion so far...

What about devout people then, all dupes?

People who have laboured "for the glory of god" in selfless acts for millenia?

Has this contributed nothing to our development? Or do we know better today than to waste our time in such ways?

Yep.. all religious buildings from stonehenge onwards effectively built by slave labour....

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by realnutter
    Yep.. all religious buildings from stonehenge onwards effectively built by slave labour....
    Oh really? In the sense that we are all slaves to the wicked capitalist system or something?

I knew a man who painted his parish church (inside, every inch) as an act of devotion. It gave him, his priest and a lot of other people great pleasure and he received a papal award. All fools eh, who should have been doing something better, something selfish?

For Me "Religion" Means A "Label A Box To Fit In" And Simply "Anything That Does Not Have A Label Or Fit Into A Box Etc" Is Seen In Mans Eyes As NOT Accepted...

So I Have A "Ancient Sacred Spiritual Tribal Belief" That I Believe In And Not A " Religion" ...Which Means In Mans World It Is Not Accepted As "A Religion" And So There Be Does Not Be Real..In Many Eyes...

That Is What "Religion" Be About To Me...As Its Just Another Thing That A Powerful Group Of Mans People Gave "A Name..Label Too And Be Fits In Their Box" And Accepted And Some Sadly Often Tried To Be Forced Down People Throats And Lifes....And If You Did Not Accept Then You Was Not Accepted.

But In Fairness To All And Respect To All People ....If You Love And Accept Religion Then That Is Your Free Choice And If It Makes You Happy To Have Your Religion Then Thats All That Matters...Whether Religion Or Spiritual/Tribal Beliefs.
    )
    Form From The Void & Mists

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    My grandma has been brain washed by her church, she believes that giving money to the church will ensure her a ticket to heaven!!! She has paid for the church to have a new roof, she paid for a new fancy bench with that mouse on it for the church. To me religion is all about money
    Why a mouseman bench you could buy half a dozen decent benches for the cost of one of those unless as you say, she's buying a ticket. You should quote the 'rich man enter the kingdom of heaven' bit to her as it doesn't work like that.
    Not all who wander are lost

On paper I'm of the Church of England (just a label attached soon after birth) I don't feel or follow any faith other than "I have faith that I know myself, who and what I am." I also carry a healthy dollop of skepticism for all others of any faith or religion. Even though I have prayed myself in the past when my world was broken. At the time It was more for hope of help or change, a result of desperation. Humans are at times weak and if turning to the impossible can help, it's possible others will follow.

As a child I had two imaginary friends. They weren't imaginary to me. The adults around me indulged me, but guided me away from them and I don't have any dealings with them now. I wonder if they would still be with me if I were part of a community that celebrated the unseen friends?

As to the altruism Bryn mentions, yes in our culture is is still just about considered noble to act for the benefit of others without seeking reward. If someone has a deep devotion to their church and offers to paint it for free that may well have a positive feel-good ripple effect. It may even encourage others to give of their time and skills in selfless acts. If, though, that church paid someone a fair wage to do the same job that person could feed their family. There is a certain dignity that also has a positive ripple effect from knowing one has provided for those who need us. Too often, though, these acts of altruism to religious organisations are founded in early conditioning, fear and guilt. I have personally witnessed it many times.

Nowadays I find myself "emotionally encouraged" to donate money to what are undoubtedly worthy causes. Isn't that a more contemporary form of the same thing?

Has anyone mentioned the great works of art that have come from religious cultures? For hundreds of years it was impossible to develop one's creative skills without a religiously committed benefactor or patron. Try composing, painting or otherwise creating when your patron won't accept anything that doesn't perpetuate the system.
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith, zendaze

Originally Posted by FriedOnion
    Your grandma worships Disney?
    Noo them bloody expensive bits of furniture with a mouse on

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    Why a mouseman bench you could buy half a dozen decent benches for the cost of one of those unless as you say, she's buying a ticket. You should quote the 'rich man enter the kingdom of heaven' bit to her as it doesn't work like that.
    lol yup it's been drummed into her head it will buy her a ticket

I used to go to church up until quite recently. I was confirmed and used to receive holy communion etc. I'm not sure why I went. I was going through a confusing period of my life and I enjoyed the Sunday service and the collective consciousness of it but I didn't believe in god so stopped going.

I am quite happy for people to believe what they want and I will defend their right to believe as long as it has no ill effects to me or others.

I think western religion has always been used as way of suppressing the poorer members of society and keeping them in their place. I think this has largely been replaced with televised sport and reality TV

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, Lightbringer, oldkeith, parrotandcrow, zendaze

Originally Posted by aman
    ... I think western religion has always been used as way of suppressing the poorer members of society and keeping them in their place. I think this has largely been replaced with televised sport and reality TV ...
    ... and shopping?
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Ecobob, oldkeith, parrotandcrow, zendaze

Heavenly Creature
    I think it's all been said about religion here, so no need for me to comment, and anyway my views are probably already known

But I would just like to say that I have met and been friends with - and still am - people of goodwill who follow different faiths, and those of no faith also.
    The thing that seemed to unite them all was just that they felt they were being helpful to their fellow-humans, mostly in down-to-earth practical ways.

Those of faith felt they were following the simple precepts set out by their original leader, saint, or prophet, doing his/her work here, so to say.
    Those of no faith felt they should help their fellow beings anyway, out of love or duty; no further reasons were required.

Whatever their intellect, these people impressed me with a sense of simple spirituality; they were not trying to be 'good', they were just that way by nature. They include a CEO of a community-interest-company, and a poor neighbour of mine who was a modern-day Francis of Assisi, who stinted himself on job-seeker's allowance to feed the wild birds in winter. It was - and is - an inner spirituality.
    Some had faith perhaps, but they had no need of organised religion.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Cobra, Danann, Lightbringer, marshlander, nomis, parrotandcrow, Rick69, zendaze

Heavenly Creature
    That's so true oldkieth! I don't need a book, building or a man in a dress to tell me what's the right thing to do.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, oldkeith

My own motto in life has always been "Be the shepherd,not the sheep"!Do you think people become religeous through a lack of their own confidence and perhaps fear?Ok an example....I'm not religeous,I don't need any guidelines on how to run my life,I trust my own decisions etc.So...I grew up to be a kind person,and kindness comes naturally to me (as it does,I guess with most people?)and I think generally I'm a good person.I don't feel the need to go to church weekly to get that re-enforcement. Fear?I guess alot of religeous people spend a fair bit of time,preparing for the afterlife (heaven,re incarnation or whatever)and like the fact that if you do X Y and Z you will be guaranteed a place in heaven,or whatever.I prefer to be a good person,live in the moment,and not live my life "somewhere out there"which means I'm not enjoying the present moment.
    I don't know what will happen to me after death,and I don't need to know.Whats more important to me,is living for today.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Brynhyffryd, marshlander, oldkeith, wizard1luv

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Cobra
    My own motto in life has always been "Be the shepherd,not the sheep"!
    Mine has been "be the auctioneer" but it's just a way of overcoming my natural reserve.

Do you think people become religeous through a lack of their own confidence and perhaps fear?Ok an example....I'm not religeous,I don't need any guidelines on how to run my life,I trust my own decisions etc.So...I grew up to be a kind person,and kindness comes naturally to me (as it does,I guess with most people?)and I think generally I'm a good person.I don't feel the need to go to church weekly to get that re-enforcement.
    If you follow a religion then among other things you rely on its teachings to steer you through life's difficulties. If you don't follow a religion you have to use your own judgement. Once you have followed a religion for a while and read the essential texts you will have to some extent adopted that religion's set of values, some of which are probably reinforced by legislation where you live. So having been brought up a Christian, I don't expect to have multiple contemporaneous wives, which is fine because I know sex is wrong anyway! :just kidding: What I mean is, I have already absorbed the morality of the dominant religion. So if I was to describe myself as "a good person" it would be in those terms, and I would mean a "good Christian". I really wish I could erase this conditioning, but I don't think it is possible. Kindly do not suggest a prefrontal lobotomy!

I don't know what will happen to me after death,and I don't need to know.Whats more important to me,is living for today.
    Matthew 6:34, you're a good Christian, Cobra!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, marshlander

I think I might start my own religion, everyone worship me!
    my religion would involve everyone dancing and being smiley, it is a happy religion

The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd