THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's religion all about?

Sex
    Male
    Lets start a strange religous hippy cult of weirdness, somebody has to be leader and believe they are in communion with beings only they can see. Initiation will involve hopping on one leg whilst eating lentils and farting towards the rising sun
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Form is nothingness and nothingness is form.

The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer, parrotandcrow

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Hmm!
    You may draw unwelcome attention from those religions who kneel in worship towards the rising sun, and those who must not present their posteriors to that direction...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    What is religion all about?

Religions remind me of dating websites, under the surface they have an awful lot in common.

Are they all nonsense? Can more than one of them make sense?
    Tis a load of old codswallop to keep the masses in line.

Tis utter utter bullshite. Mind bending horse crap my friend.

Dont fall for it
    run forest run.

Thats a line from a film
    if youve never seen it you will just be like "forest? what the frick is the resident loony on about?"
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer

Sex
    Male
    We had a lad at work, on work experience back in the summer, who was going through the process of questioning his religion.
    It was a big deal to him as, if he were to drop his religion then it would almost certainly have meant his family dis-owning him.
    The problem was, he was very open minded and a deep thinker and was and begining to see beyond the confinements of his religion. I felt for him at the time as it was obviously a huge strain on him.
    Any resemblance to actual persons living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, oldkeith, parrotandcrow

Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by Ecobob
    We had a lad at work, on work experience back in the summer, who was going through the process of questioning his religion.
    It was a big deal to him as, if he were to drop his religion then it would almost certainly have meant his family dis-owning him.
    The problem was, he was very open minded and a deep thinker and was and begining to see beyond the confinements of his religion. I felt for him at the time as it was obviously a huge strain on him.
    I can imagine it gets more difficult where family are involved & one has been programmed to think a certain way.
    It comes back to control again. It always does.
    I might not be the sharpest tool in the box but I make damn sure i think for myself & follow my own set of rules as opposed to everybody elses.
    It always gets me in trouble with the hierarchy but lifes to short to be kissing arses.
    I could spend that time pissing them off instead
    much more fun.

I feel for your "lad at work".
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Ecobob

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Yeah, that must be scary, figuring on coming out of the cave, as it were.

Quite a few people I've known in the past have said to me something like:
    "Well, I'm not really religious, but I go along with it to: (keep the peace with relatives; please the O/H; keep the old folks happy; etc, etc).

So I do wonder just how many folk see religion as a kind of minor irritant that they have to conform with because of a family situation, rather than any kind of actual belief.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Ecobob, Roamer

Sex
    Female
    My dads lot were Irish catholic & you can tell it was drummed into him. Hes always been a rebellious type though so he fought it good & proper. Me & my brother had no choice but to think for ourselves coz mum & dad were nowhere to be seen really. They lived in the pub & left us to our own devices. When they got home they would kick seven kinds of shit out of each other. The following week we would all go down to the caravan which was our "happy place"

There aint no God. Of that i can assure you.

Unless he was just ignoring me like the hippies do
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer, oldkeith

Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by Roamer
    My dads lot were Irish catholic & you can tell it was drummed into him. Hes always been a rebellious type though so he fought it good & proper. Me & my brother had no choice but to think for ourselves coz mum & dad were nowhere to be seen really. They lived in the pub & left us to our own devices. When they got home they would kick seven kinds of shit out of each other. The following week we would all go down to the caravan which was our "happy place"

There aint no God. Of that i can assure you.

Unless he was just ignoring me like the hippies do
    I spent many nights as a little girl hearing my mum getting beaten, my prayers weren't answered either
    x

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    That's awful, Roamer and Lightbringer

My parents rowed a bit too. Mostly my dad going on at ma because she was often ill and went to bed and the place - with three kids - got into a mess.
    I would - at six or seven years old - come home from school and scrub the kitchen floor, or try to clear up the living room or something, just so he wouldn't go on at her so much. Life ain't fun for a kid when you sometimes dread going home.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket, Lightbringer

Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    I spent many nights as a little girl hearing my mum getting beaten, my prayers weren't answered either
    x
    Stop jumping on my wagon! I brought it up so I should get more sympathy.

Okay you can share

Sex
    Female
    Ive said too much
    im going bed now.

Cant be arsed with punctuation & those toppy things that seperate everythink

Nite

Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by Roamer
    Stop jumping on my wagon! I brought it up so I should get more sympathy.

Okay you can share
    I'm sorry roamer, I wasn't, I just wanted you to know, to show you I have all the sympathy in the world for you, that's why I gave you a big sloppy kiss on the other thread x
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Sex
    Female
    My school years were the worse, I was bullied at school, always the last one picked for sports, taken the piss out of because I didn't have the latest trainers, spat at. Went home to my brother who would treat me like a slave, I made him hot drinks for him and his friends on demand, cut his nails, massage his feet, turn the tv over (ha no remote) if I didn't he'd beat me black and blue, my friend found me with a rope round my neck when he tried to kill me, I've had epilepsy since the day he punched me in the head. Then my mums boyfriend would have a drink it would all go tits up, I'd hear my mum begging him to stop hitting her, as I got older I'd lay in bed listening to her shagging a different man every weekend, I went to College got my nvq lvl2 in hairdressing, anatomy and physiology and massage therapy. Then I tried drugs
    got with a excuse for a human, who beat me daily, left me to die (I overdosed) I didn't care, those drugs take the pain away. Got clean, got married to a verbally abusive man and now I'm with a man who is in no way perfect but treats me like a princess
    if god existed why would he of put me through that? Sorry I'm not taking over but it all just came out

The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket

Sex
    Male
    ^ That sounds awful, no-one should have to go through that but sadly some people do.
    At least you are in a better place now, (hopefully) even if it isn't perfect
    Any resemblance to actual persons living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    I suspect that most of us have had an easier ride LB. Hope it helped to get that lot out!

...if god existed why would he of put me through that?
    What kind of god would she be? the kind that lets us make our own karma, or the kind that sends angels to watch over us? The kind that needs praying to three times a day? The kind that needs sacrifices?

The thing about religion is that it is man-made not god-made. You don't even need a god to practise most types of Buddhism and some types of Hinduism, many millions of followers of these religions would fail to understand your question, as they would perceive that it was not god but other humans who put you through that awful stuff.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Cobra, cricket, Lightbringer

Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    I suspect that most of us have had an easier ride LB. Hope it helped to get that lot out!

What kind of god would she be? the kind that lets us make our own karma, or the kind that sends angels to watch over us? The kind that needs praying to three times a day? The kind that needs sacrifices?

The thing about religion is that it is man-made not god-made. You don't even need a god to practise most types of Buddhism and some types of Hinduism, many millions of followers of these religions would fail to understand your question, as they would perceive that it was not god but other humans who put you through that awful stuff.
    Good job I think religion is a load of shite eh
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, cricket

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Good job I think religion is a load of shite eh
    Great job LB.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Sex
    Female

My school years were the worse, I was bullied at school, always the last one picked for sports, taken the piss out of because I didn't have the latest trainers, spat at. Went home to my brother who would treat me like a slave, I made him hot drinks for him and his friends on demand, cut his nails, massage his feet, turn the tv over (ha no remote) if I didn't he'd beat me black and blue, my friend found me with a rope round my neck when he tried to kill me, I've had epilepsy since the day he punched me in the head. Then my mums boyfriend would have a drink it would all go tits up, I'd hear my mum begging him to stop hitting her, as I got older I'd lay in bed listening to her shagging a different man every weekend, I went to College got my nvq lvl2 in hairdressing, anatomy and physiology and massage therapy. Then I tried drugs
    got with a excuse for a human, who beat me daily, left me to die (I overdosed) I didn't care, those drugs take the pain away. Got clean, got married to a verbally abusive man and now I'm with a man who is in no way perfect but treats me like a princess
    if god existed why would he of put me through that? Sorry I'm not taking over but it all just came out
    I did'nt get dealt a good childhood either LB,but you know what I've realised?The most important person to love and respect,is yourself.You need to take proper care of yourself,mind,body and soul.Drugs can numb the pain,but you're still left with the memories.Unfortunately you can never erase those,but the older you get,the further away your childhood becomes,and somehow it gets easier to deal with.You might not of had any or little control how you lived as a child,but you do as an adult.Do what you need to, to heal yourself,and always remember,you're never alone
    Wishing you peace and happiness xoxo
    Last edited by Cobra; 21-01--2017 at 01:08 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, cricket, Lightbringer

Tuning In
    Sex
    Male
    To me, Religion in the organised term, was and is to amass a large amount of people seen as followers who will devout to the one belief system and not think for themselves. Wether it first started out like that, who knows, we can only surmise but I do not like the dogmatic side of it where other ways of thinking and being and believing in a different religion, faith or culture is frowned upon or seen as wrong.

Lots of wrongs have and are done under the banner of religion. People across many countries have been mercilessly slaughtered by religion as they were of different belief etc. Pagans, Celts and other early Britons were over ruled and were outlawed for their ways and were labelled as heretics, the Spanish inquisition being another. Conversion by the sword pr by spreading the word as in missionary work, I dont believe its right to outwardly go and convert people, if someone is interested and wants to be of a religion, it should be that persons free will and not to be persecuted for not belonging of a faith. The fire and brimstone aspect has been used over the millenia to instill fear into people to swell the ranks control. We see it going on in the world still, Sheer hatred of another religion or faith is still seeing innocent peoples being systematically abused and forced to live under harsh regimes in the name of a religion.

i think it does cause more problems in the world as a whole. The individual worshipper is a different thing. Like many of our older relatives, my nan went to church religiously, was a good woman, done whats right by others, but the movement she belonged to as a whole as an organised religion could easily be held accountable for much that is wrong. she didnt see the bigger picture of what we can and are able to talk about. You try and be open with a very dogmatic religious person, they wont have it, its the lord and the bible and thats that, cant be anything else or any other way, thats the attitude that gives religion the force to be reckoned with.

I cant ever imagine christian or catholic leaders or the monarchy turning on the people in this country taking up the sword or guns to force every body on the island to convert or be put to death as it once was done but its not going to go away in a hurry. If a religious family have a baby, they will certainly want to bring it up in the faith, in the early formative years, you dont get shown or told anything different so you believe thats how things are. Thats a from of co ersive control is it not. Beliefs like that get set deeply at that age and is hard to shake off although it can be done and well but it leaves shadows.

Wher eI feel it went wrong was when religion surreptisiously took 'god' from the individual and turned into the external being/force they claim he is. the term god to me is a nmae that was once held to be the inner self of a human being. to know god is to know your 'self'. I see people who are firm believers of the churches god are the ones who are lost souls as they do not truly know their own 'self', they know themselves but thats different. the true self is the where real tangible inner peace lies i feel, which at the end of the day, thats what religion attempts to achieve. they are looking in the wrong place, that being externally from the 'self'. Really, what I mean is when someoine preys to their external god, they are really praying and talking to their own 'self' but they dont realise it. this disconnection or blocking the self goes a long way for religious leaders and the church to keep their numbers up, without the flock, they are nothing, it gives them power over people.

It is in our nature to believe in something, but for me, its a journey of self discovery of being me and being alive in the world, as long as organised religion doesnt bother me, I wont bother it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, oldkeith

Tuning In
    Sex
    Male
    And ere we go, religion again, a heterosexual couple have been fighting for their right to have a civil partnership which would be a legal union but without having to be married by religion to be an official couple. and they got turned down today, to say the least I was fucking fuming at the result, who the fuck are those who made the decision to refuse them. Of course it should be a recognised form of union that bypasses the need for religious intervention. Religion deems marriage is sacrasanct and no marriage is legal unless sanctified by them and a marriage certificate issued. its all bollocks. I hope they dont give up and hope others join in to get this pathetic controlling decision over turned.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Yes, there are all sorts of religious connotations hanging around marriage, even when it's done as a civil ceremony. The history of marriage is inextricably linked with that of the historically predominant church in most any country.

As pointed out by many in these threads on the relevance of the church, the ancient religious chains are still there in many ways, even if now they are not so much physical ones, but the old religious chains of the mind.

Civil partnerships should be available for all and include full legal rights for both partners. Marriages should be secondary in importance, and available only for those that want them.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, wizard1luv

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    I agree with the hetro couple who want a civil partnership. However there is always the registry office.
    I think that there should be a recognised minimum time limit for the old mythical 'Common Law' marriage. Say if you have been together for more than five years you should get the relationship officially recognised.
    Proof would be easy enough, with financial paperwork (joint bank account or mortgage) or having a child.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, likahamadoolihan, oldkeith, wizard1luv

Sex
    Female
    It will get there eventually it is evitable.Years ago me and my partner "jumped over the broomstick"then I changed my name to his,as it was a nicer name,he did offer to change his,i suppose you could hyphenate it.We legally split all assets in case one died or wanted out.No one questioned anything as we all had the same name.Theres ways and means.

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    Yes, there are all sorts of religious connotations hanging around marriage, even when it's done as a civil ceremony. The history of marriage is inextricably linked with that of the historically predominant church in most any country.

As pointed out by many in these threads on the relevance of the church, the ancient religious chains are still there in many ways, even if now they are not so much physical ones, but the old religious chains of the mind.

Civil partnerships should be available for all and include full legal rights for both partners. Marriages should be secondary in importance, and available only for those that want them.
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith, wizard1luv