THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rent out Your Van when not in use

Rent out Your Van when not in use

This topic doesn't really go in any topics so putting it here.

We had a message from these guys who have run a small business which rents out home built live in vehicles. You get to keep your van and rent it out when not in use. Great idea.

https://www.quirkycampers.co.uk/

Rent out Your Van when not in use

Is all I can say to that..
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, dollybassett, NomadicRT, r3ubs, Rick69, wandering gypsy, Woodstock69

Hello quirkycampers

Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

I thought they just hired out half a dozen of their own self build , sure i have seen tv / video of them before , and fully agree with Sooty , the thought of giving up Bubbles keys and watching stranger/s drive off in her would keep me awake at nights.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Sootyfoot, Wulfie

Heavenly Creature
    In other news, a flat has been trashed by an Air BnB renter......
    Did you know, if you lend or rent your van to somebody, and they don't give it back, technically it's not stolen? It's just 'unreturned'. They didn't take it from you, you handed it over voluntarily, so it's not stolen.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, dollybassett

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    Did you know, if you lend or rent your van to somebody, and they don't give it back, technically it's not stolen? It's just 'unreturned'. They didn't take it from you, you handed it over voluntarily, so it's not stolen.
    EVERY vehicle from hire cars/ trucks /vans through to dump trucks /big diggers and disc cutters that I have ever hired have required 2 or 3 signatures on a contract , for hire/off hire dates ,damage checks pre and post hire and occasionally to confirm who's insurance and any excess etc , not to mention ID , Licence and often a picture ,so all in all quite legally binding I would I would have thought ?

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    I think lending and renting are different to hiring. I once lent my truck to Arthur Wally (not lending did not seem an option ) I had to collect it run out of fuel in a ditch a mile from site

Quote Originally Posted by ma bungo View Post
    I think lending and renting are different to hiring.

other way round in my head , renting and hire are the same , 'lending' = loaning , agreements for those as well but verbally arranged loan between 2 peeps , yes hard to enforce but I would assume V5 in rightful owners name along with original key might sway the old bill ?

Heavenly Creature
    Firstly (and this is printed on the V5) the registered keeper does not prove ownership.
    Secondly, we had a driver that had our van for work, he stopped coming in but kept the van. The police told me that, as he hadn't taken the van, but it had been given it (all be it for the purpose of work) it couldn't be reported stolen. They weren't even that interested when I said the driver was no longer insured as he wasn't working with us any longer.
    Eventually we had to scour the streets where he lived and found the van.
    It's all to do with the definition of theft within the law.
    If a vehicle is handed over via a loan or hire, it's not taken without consent. Even if that consent is withdrawn, it's hard to prove to the police the person who has the vehicle does NOT mean to ever return it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Fire-Tree, Rick69, Sootyfoot, ursus

I would of thought that a tightly worded signed contract with a photocopy of driving licence and deposit payed would be standard practice? But nobody would what to rent any of my creations to date .
    just a simple guy

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    Firstly (and this is printed on the V5) the registered keeper does not prove ownership.
    please enlighten me as to the meaning of this then ...
    The new V5 process for car buyers

If you’re buying a new car and the seller intends to use the online process, make sure you give them your email address. The seller can then enter your email address online when making their declaration of change of ownership, meaning you will also receive an e-mail confirmation that the info has been processed by the DVLA.
    Whether you provide an email address to the seller or not – it’s certainly not compulsory - a new V5C certificate should still arrive through your letterbox within five working days.

from this page ...
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...rs-and-sellers

Heavenly Creature
    Take out your V5. Clearly on the front it states the person named as the registered keeper is not necessarily the owner, it's a warning to buyers.
    The owner is the person who pays for the vehicle. The registered keeper is responsible for the taxing, insuring and keeping the vehicle road legal (or making a SORN on it) including penalties such as parking tickets. The keeper and owner can be the same person, but the registered keeper may not be the owner.
    For instance, if you have finance on a vehicle, you are NOT the owner until you finish paying for it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Sootyfoot, ursus

Quote Originally Posted by LuciaElmist View Post

We had a message from these guys who have run a small business which rents out home built live in vehicles. You get to keep your van and rent it out when not in use. Great idea.

Im in - i will just require a £5000 deposit from the owners of said business to cover potential loss or damage. Im sure if its reputable then that wont be a problem...

If youve got a live in vehcile...where do you live if you rent it out...sčen a few of these quirky campers..more style than substance....but hey lets pretend were travellers for a week!
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Sootyfoot

Yea man, far out, chick. Toby.

This was mentioned to me some years ago when I had an Iveco 49-10, was told I could make loadsa money easily covering my insurance etc But it wasn't for me, unless I knew and trusted the people taking my vehicle away it wouldn't feel right, and still then I wouldn't let half the people I know alone in it for 5 minutes never mind have it for a jolly.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, NomadicRT, Sootyfoot

As Wurzel said above. Toby

Yeah the previous owners of my van were approached several times about renting it out to one of those funky van places, and passed on the details to me. Over my dead body! I'd end up getting done for stalking..
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, pyke13, Sootyfoot, wandering gypsy

Aye.....if you have a pretty van that attracts acceptable rent then why not....

Mine is shit but for those with a mind for it who can find suitable contractual terms this is a sensible way of liberating cash from relatively wealthy appreciators.

Nope...no way...I rented my static caravan out twice to supposedly respectable hirers- I knew one of them well- while i went away working...cost me more repairing the damage done than i got from renting it out....No one will rent my van -period.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 27-01--2017 at 12:23 AM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, puppy999, Sootyfoot, wurzel

Quote Originally Posted by LuciaElmist View Post

Wow this is a great idea for anyone who isn't using there van or has built one and decided to bugger off to Thailand or somwhere and cant take it with them. They could earn income from it whilst away.
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.

Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRT View Post
    Nope...no way...I rented my static caravan out twice to supposedly respectable hirers- I knew one of them well- while i ead away working...cost me more repairing the damage done than i got from renting it out....No one will rent my van -period.
    Wouldn't quirky campers have some sort of contract to put the van back to the way it was so if it got damaged by someone they would have to fix or restore it?
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.

It's not the fact that it's insured and will be put back the way it was it's the inconvenience and stress and possible loss of home that the causes

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    5 grand deposit, a grand a week, all/any damage to be paid for. cash upfront and your nubile daughter as hostage
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Fire-Tree, Sootyfoot, Uncle jhad, wurzel