THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Fun instrument recomendations

Fun instrument recomendations

I'm thinking of picking up a new instrument, and I'd like to hear what other people enjoy, and why.

I used to play the ocarina a few years ago but I didn't find it too enjoyable so I gave it away. Same goes for the udu drum, and the recorder I really disliked.

The only instrument I still have and enjoy is the dan moi.
    Love everyone, even those who hate you, because they need your love the most.

The Ukulele has transformed the way I look at making music and to be honest has put the the fun back into playing.

I really love playing the Uke

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Zambaku

Over the past year I've been making stringed instruments.

If you want something different and unique have a look into make something yourself.

You can easily make a didley bow or canjo type instrument for a few quid.

I'm currently taking guitar lessons but I like making noise with my 1 string cigar box didley. Its great plugged in to my amp.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Or a bit more difficult to make being fretted a 3 string tin (any tin will work) guitar.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The following users think this post is groovy: Boaty McBoatface, marshlander

Nice, I made a few canjo's but I'm not good at playing stringed instruments at all, I could play half of the song "Shortnin' Bread" and that was it XD

Originally Posted by Zambaku
    Nice, I made a few canjo's but I'm not good at playing stringed instruments at all, I could play half of the song "Shortnin' Bread" and that was it XD
    Yeah I've made a few canjo's of varying forms to. I'm not very musical never played an instrument.

I got the building bug though so decided to take guitar lessons whilst I train my musical ear then I figured I'll have an easier time with any of my stringed instruments.

Yeah, I love building stuff too, it's awesome to make something unique. I made my canjo's from old boards and catfood tins, the strings I used where from banjos and fishing lines. I was suprised at how good they sounded =)

I only started because I bought a poor quality guitar to learn on last year. Figured I could make something better and spent more time learning to make them than play them.

I learned to play the violin many years ago following a spinal injury. I learned to play laid on my back. 11 months later on I could sit up and squat against a wall for support when playing. I had to learn to bow all over again. There's no use for gravity when bowing a fiddle I realised.

I would like to own and play a Hang drum. I signed up to have one made about 10 years ago. There was a waiting list. The guy who was making them died I believe and it took a few years for the company to get through the new orders on the list. There's about 20 people throughout the world who can make good ones and can tune them.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, gophangover

Musical hippy dreadhead maddy harper's Avatar
    I would recommend a melody Harp
    The difficult thing is getting them in tune that once they're in tune the stain tune quite well
    I have three of them +2 normal freestanding harps
    The strings on the melody ones are metal
    They sound like music boxes
    I love them so much easier to carry around than a normal freestanding harp
    ☺️

Congas....Jews harp....Kazoo......easy to play......

Musical hippy dreadhead maddy harper's Avatar
    This is what analogy harp looks like
    Collection melody