Thread: My off grid project

Turning On

Arrow My off grid project

I've been working on it for quite a while ... something like 7 years.
    I have done allot of the work myself, but im just too tired to do more alone.

So i have enlisted paid help to get things finished like inside walls ( im not very good at finishing ).

Its been a loooooonngg process !

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still todo jobs for me:

• Set up water filtering system ( have filters and containers ).
    • Plumb in inside toilet ( needs connecting to existing system ).
    • Plumb in water heater ( right now, if you want a hot shower, you need to heat the water on the gas stove )
    • Fly screen door project ( got nothing ready yet )
    • Internal wiring, i have been lazy and just use extension leads !
    • Garden ( have a metal dome frame work, need to cover it and make a greenhouse / bender type thing )
    • Chicken shed + chickens
    • 2nd solar system + installation of automatic transfer switch
    • Many more smaller projects.

As mentioned it has taken years, but its finally getting somewhere. Very much looking forward to spending the spring and summer there !
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Boaty McBoatface, cricket, Lightbringer, ma bungo, nomis, realnutter, Sootyfoot, ursus

Where is it?

Somewhere no one knows and probably wont know ,thats why he is still there .
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by schadenfreude
    Where is it?

Turning On
    Lol ! It is in Portugal , but im currently in the UK for the next 10 days, i have to work to fund it.
    However i am looking forward to a few months, maybe a year out there.

Who knows, with this hard brexit stuff, i might become Portuguese !
    The following users think this post is groovy: ThreeMoons

Your doing a good job mate. It's a sensible investment. I hope Brexit doesn't make things hard for you with rules, access and taxes.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    Very beautiful! Yes I can relate to your story. My project is in Valencia and it has been a long process getting it habitable. I spend all my free time and money to do it. When I bought the house it was a shell, no electricity, no bathroom and no water.

Jobs done so far.

I now have a fully functioning bathroom with hot and cold water and flushing loo. This meant digging a septic tank out by hand as I couldnt afford a machine driver at the time.

I now have a fully fitted kitchen and a laundry room.

I also, now have two very large deposits for water one which as been refurbished under the house - I bought a pond liner to make it good but it was horrible to have to get down there in the dark. The other water deposit will eventually be a swimming pool.

I have solar panels and sockets throughout the house.

Jobs left to do.

Build another water deposit and finish putting the cement down around the other one, tile this inside and make it a swimming pool. Then build a small little shed to put in the filter pump for it and build steps inside it so my collie dog who is water obsessed won't get stranded.

Buy more solar panels and up my system a bit.

Finish my patio on my bottom garden - I concentrated on the roof terrace last year.

Finish building all my stone walls. I'm on number 4 and have quite a few left.

Convert my garage into a small self contained studio bedroom for the ever increasing amount of visitors

I probably have a load more to do but that is it for now.
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, nomis, schatje, ursus

Turning On
    Sounds like your project and mine were very similar! It really is allot of work. More than I thought but I can't stop now! 😀

Schatje, are you Dutch by any chance?

I have given up on living in a van and I'm saving to buy a tiny piece of land, probably in southern Italy.

Please post your progress. I might take some inspiration for myself.

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    Yes I hear you on the 'more than I thought' bit. It seems to be never ending and I'm the same as you there is no way I can stop now!
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.

Turning On
    Hi. No I'm not Dutch but I have spent time there.

I'm currently here in Portugal doing the wiring and plumbing and so on

I have added a few pictures of the solar cabin, the water filter setup for drinking water ( fed by rain water ) and few other odd snaps.

Ive added the photos to a google album, linked here, otherwise i have to resize them all ;(

Good luck with your Italian adventure schadenfreude. Let us know how it goes
    Last edited by schatje; 28-02--2017 at 02:20 PM.

Not Quite a Noobie
    Have P.M. You