THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Learn about Sweden

Learn about Sweden

Just thought it might be fun for people to ask questions about Sweden, I'll answer 'em to the best of my abilities. No holds barred. Ask anything, I won't sugarcoat anything =)
    Love everyone, even those who hate you, because they need your love the most.

Heavenly Creature
    How much money does it take to live there?

If you want to live poorly, about 600$ will land you a cheap 1-room apartment, I pay about 350$ for my apartment, that leaves you enough money for food for the month and maybe enough for 1-2 random fun stuff. I live on about 800$ a month now and it's a huge difference. I can eat at restaurants a lot if I want too, and I can afford stuff too besides food. At 10k$ You can live pretty well.

If you want to live in Stockholm, you need a lot more money, though. Stockholm is wicked expensive.

Does everyone say urdi gurdi if they don't understand Swedish?

The following users think this post is groovy: yazz

How are wild park ups? Are they tolerated well?

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Does everyone say urdi gurdi if they don't understand Swedish?
    That's the chef on the muppets!

The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, yazz

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot

Urdi gurdi peppersåsen. No, that's just the Swedish Chef XD

Wild park ups is a term I don't know, but I assume you are wondering if you can park anywhere you want? If so the answer is mostly yes, you can for a while if it's not "unsightly" or looks "ugly", you can in theory park anywhere you want with the use of common sense, i.e not in other people's yards XD
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, Sootyfoot

Originally Posted by Zambaku
    Urdi gurdi peppersåsen. No, that's just the Swedish Chef XD

Wild park ups is a term I don't know, but I assume you are wondering if you can park anywhere you want? If so the answer is mostly yes, you can for a while if it's not "unsightly" or looks "ugly", you can in theory park anywhere you want with the use of common sense, i.e not in other people's yards XD
    Cool, we are regaled with tales of the £10 pint and food so expensive ya gotta be rich, but I'm sure that's only like high end Stockholm? I'd love to travel in Sweden, I think the swedes are a friendly bunch, have a couple of friends I ain't seen for a while used to bring salty liquorice..WTF is THAT all about?

Haha, food in Sweden is expensive overall, unless you go with basic fresh veggies and make things from scratch. A meal at a restaurant outside of Stockholm generally costs 7.50$'s-isch. I think, don't quote me on this but a pint in Sweden costs about 3$'s. The thai restaurant here in my town charges 3$'s for a big bottle of thai beer. And that seems like a standard price for beer from a restaurant/pub, and it will be more expensive in Stockholm yes. But, that's what Systembolaget is for, it's an establishment that exists in almost every town that sells all manner of alcohol for quite cheap. I think you can get 1 can of beer for less then a dollar there. Prices will always vary a little bit between establishments.

Swedes are pretty friendly towards tourists. But not really to each other if you are not a conformist, if you are an alternative native you will get stared at, and you might hear some wtf shit said to you, but not that often anymore, thank God.

Haha, Was it those heavely salt coated things? Those are horrible! Sweden has some fucked up candy :P But also some really nice candy too.

Haha, food in Sweden is expensive overall, unless you go with basic fresh veggies and make things from scratch. A meal at a restaurant outside of Stockholm generally costs 7.50$'s-isch. I think, don't quote me on this but a pint in Sweden costs about 3$'s. The thai restaurant here in my town charges 3$'s for a big bottle of thai beer. And that seems like a standard price for beer from a restaurant/pub, and it will be more expensive in Stockholm yes. But, that's what Systembolaget is for, it's an establishment that exists in almost every town that sells all manner of alcohol for quite cheap. I think you can get 1 can of beer for less then a dollar there. Prices will always vary a little bit between establishments.

Swedes are pretty friendly towards tourists. But not really to each other if you are not a conformist, if you are an alternative native you will get stared at, and you might hear some wtf shit said to you, but not that often anymore, thank God.

Haha, Was it those heavely salt coated things? Those are horrible! Sweden has some fucked up candy :P But also some really nice candy too.
    Yes salty liquorice stuff...man I nearly heaved...

Haha, I can't eat those, man. I get blisters in my mouth from all the salt. I swear it's enough salt to kill a small elephant in those XD
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

And he's based on a person from the Dalarna region in Sweden, the dialect I mean. Which is sort of how I speak. I once asked a couple of American friends if I sound like that when I speak Swedish and they said yes, sort of.

The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot, Zambaku

Whaaaat, wait! That's the best stuff!
    Djungelvrål ("Djungle screams"
    )... yum! :-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Zambaku

Originally Posted by ika_swe

And he's based on a person from the Dalarna region in Sweden, the dialect I mean. Which is sort of how I speak. I once asked a couple of American friends if I sound like that when I speak Swedish and they said yes, sort of.

Please post a video! That's gotta be cool....

Please post a video! That's gotta be cool....
    Yes, sure, I can do that. :-)
    Not today though. Too tired after working long hours.

Can most Swedes speak good English ? They always seem to in the Swedish tv programmes shown over here.

Chilling Out
    My little brother lives there, if I was to go wild camping, what would I have to be aware of and where would you recommend? 😀

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar

Haha, I can't eat those, man. I get blisters in my mouth from all the salt. I swear it's enough salt to kill a small elephant in those XD
    They sound great! where can I get some?

I have considered moving over there, I guess my windows of opportunity is about to run out.

Originally Posted by quintessence
    Can most Swedes speak good English ? They always seem to in the Swedish tv programmes shown over here.
    Yes, most Swedes do. English is an obligatory subject in school, starting in 3rd grade.

Heavenly Creature
    When I worked on markets (We had a bookstall), we once had two Swedish guys come to our stall. They spoke excellent English. I think they were - or had been - in the Swedish Air Force, because we spent awhile talking about the Swedish warplanes that can land and take off from their highways if necessary, which seemed amazing.

Yes theres a few stretches of motorway/autobahn in europe built for aircraft in the cold war ..

I had the chance to go to Sweden to live a few years back near Gristlehamn,wish id gone now.Thats the part of Sweden id like to go to live,being an area of lakes and islands.I like the Swedish attitude and the freedom to roam and camp in the wilderness so long as you do it responsibly and respectfully.
    The only thing that would put me off now is the change in immigration policy in Sweden and the imminent changes with Britain and EU due to Brexit.I have an ex army friend who has lived in Sweden several years and has been denied citizenship so when his employment contract finished he had to return to UK which he was not happy about.Sweden is one of the few countries i would definitely move to but that kind of uncertainty bothers me.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Is land expensive in Sweden and can you live on your own land easily

Paul
    PⒶUL

Heavenly Creature
    What do you need to register a vehicle in Sweden?
    For instance here we need insurance, an MOT and road tax.