THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Petrol wood chipper/shredders recommendations and advice

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Sex
    Female

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by agrimog
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    instead of chipping all your small willow might I sugest a technique favoured in eastern europe, choping it into chunks, anything fom 3-6" long, then drying it for the fire, they shovel it into there log burners like coal, have a watch at this bit of kit

I didn't like the way he had to push so hard to get the logs on the splitter , think it needs some safty remodling ? I don't think its getting any CE stamp in the UK
    The following users think this post is groovy: ursus

Sex
    Male
    Brother in law has got one of those screws coupled to a 5hp lister diesel. Its fuckin lethal, will split anything you can throw at it. Hes even tried some old dried oak, ash etc and it just eats it.

Looks like the tip has lost its point, hes had to regrind his a couple of times. Normally you just slide the log across the table and just push it onto the screw which then grabs it, when it gets blunt it doesnt bite and you have to ram it on.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    I've seen them on tractors too.

Sex
    Male
    I think that is what they were originally designed for. Got it off ebay from poland was about 40 iirc
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

instead of chipping all your small willow might I sugest a technique favoured in eastern europe, choping it into chunks, anything fom 3-6" long, then drying it for the fire, they shovel it into there log burners like coal, have a watch at this bit of kit
    I used to run one of those pointy splitters off a PTO, v dangerous with anything not straight-grained.

The chipper is interesting, I wonder how much power it takes to run one. Maybe with a big flywheel and suitable gearing it could be wound manually?

**** added - maybe not, the most one could expect to produce is about 1/2 HP. God I hate the noise of petrol engines.

Sex
    Male
    Nice tool. I have a log splitter for the back of my tractor. PTO driven
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Sex
    Female
    The noise,the fuel,the emmissions...
    I hate chippers.The forestry Commission...who should know better,chip loadsa trees in Forest Of Dean,leaving large sterile piles doing nothing.They should be leaving it to naturally lie and be a home for myriad flora and fauna ,under ,over and on for several years.What about brash stacks?I have laid post secured brash banks in tidy relatively sheltered ,not in the way places,the birds love it for nesting,things live under it and it gets air dried eventually.Laying everything same direction horizontal is unlikely to root .Even willow is unable.Makes a good fence too or windbreak.Retaned with non willow poles banged in then any sicks jammed together on top each other .Then with the 8oo saved think of all the beer and birdsong.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

Sex
    Male
    not the pionty screw thing I was meaning, the bit that chops it up, heres a better vid

enjoying life in the "slow"lane
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Brynhyffryd, Offgrid hero

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by cricket
    The noise,the fuel,the emmissions...
    I hate chippers.The forestry Commission...who should know better,chip loadsa trees in Forest Of Dean,leaving large sterile piles doing nothing.They should be leaving it to naturally lie and be a home for myriad flora and fauna ,under ,over and on for several years.What about brash stacks?I have laid post secured brash banks in tidy relatively sheltered ,not in the way places,the birds love it for nesting,things live under it and it gets air dried eventually.Laying everything same direction horizontal is unlikely to root .Even willow is unable.Makes a good fence too or windbreak.Retaned with non willow poles banged in then any sicks jammed together on top each other .Then with the 8oo saved think of all the beer and birdsong.
    Oh you have so much to learn grasshopper. There are many forests, many windrows, many habitat stacks. There's a reason it is chipped, piled, there's a reason it is stacked in horizontal direction > >> makes managing, handling, removing easier should need arise. Windrows are a fire wick. If they were inter woven (which some are in exposed areas) The challenge of splitting the windrow to remove fuel from fire would make the challenge too difficult and time consuming. Forestry Commission do very little manual work other than times of public safety. Forest Enterprize and Contractors are the grafters. Piling woodchip in site is cost effective. It can compost down instead of adding to a dense leaf litter with a cover of woodchip which couldn't be further from natural.
    Last edited by alices wonderland; 11-02--2017 at 09:11 AM.

Sex
    Male

not the pionty screw thing I was meaning, the bit that chops it up, heres a better vid

now that us a excellent attachment. I would be reluctant to put more than 5"diameter through it as blades will tack some hammer but the rest of the construction wouldn't have the same longevity before becoming worn, bent, loose and malfunctioning. In the hands of a careful operator that's a money spinner. I would want it behind a decent tractor though.
    This is the same type of biomass fuel harvester that works the short rotation coppice I visit.

The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

What about brash stacks?
    Fine, but traditional coppicing is an established sustainable model and everything useable is removed. Maybe the resulting flora & fauna are less diverse and abundant, or just different, but if it reduces the pressure on the resource by providing a bit more winter fuel or even mulch, then more humans might be sustained from the same area of coppice.

Sex
    Female
    I have been managing 20 acres of woodland just fine for near 20 years should you want to call by i can show you how it is done in ethical,environmental and cost effective ways.
    The point you missed entirely is that woodchipping is not neccessary.Firewicks?If a fire is that big to chase a wick youve had it anyhow.

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    Oh you have so much to learn grasshopper. There are many forests, many windrows, many habitat stacks. There's a reason it is chipped, piled, there's a reason it is stacked in horizontal direction > >> makes managing, handling, removing easier should need arise. Windrows are a fire wick. If they were inter woven (which some are in exposed areas) The challenge of splitting the windrow to remove fuel from fire would make the challenge too difficult and time consuming. Forestry Commission do very little manual work other than times of public safety. Forest Enterprize and Contractors are the grafters. Piling woodchip in site is cost effective. It can compost down instead of adding to a dense leaf litter with a cover of woodchip which couldn't be further from natural.

Sex
    Female
    Humans in number have never been in my mind more than birds and beasties.What acres/hectares do yo manage?

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    Fine, but traditional coppicing is an established sustainable model and everything useable is removed. Maybe the resulting flora & fauna are less diverse and abundant, or just different, but if it reduces the pressure on the resource by providing a bit more winter fuel or even mulch, then more humans might be sustained from the same area of coppice.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

What acres/hectares do yo manage?
    That's for the birds and beasties to know.

Sex
    Male
    Only wood chipper story I have is of one that was hired in while we were clearing a large site in Cheltenham , not quite sure now if it was on a low loader or just a trailer unit , either way the operator boasted that it could chip a frozen cow in about 3 seconds, we had a 35ton machine with grab feeding it for about 6 weeks , it ate everything right down to rootballs (sometimes we had to stop it and pull the odd strand of barbed wire out from between its teeth) , I was tasked with monitoring the heap of chippings this 'heap' was by now about 50 metres x 100m and about 8m high and got regular calls on the radio ' ya heap looks smokey, go and assess it' ..., it was rotting down a bit too fast , on a windy day there were big concerns and walking on it was like walking on a volcanic landscape ,boots felt like I had been tarmacing and little wisps of smoke here, there and everywhere , smelt nice though and a tidy place to sneak a quick doobie
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Sex
    Male

I have been managing 20 acres of woodland just fine for near 20 years should you want to call by i can show you how it is done in ethical,environmental and cost effective ways.
    The point you missed entirely is that woodchipping is not neccessary.Firewicks?If a fire is that big to chase a wick youve had it anyhow.
    No you are missing the point. 20 acres is a back garden. Though valuable it be, your standing commercial crop is not at risk "Daily" from members of the public accessing your woodland with other intentions than dog walking. I came from managing a area where you couldn't leave any machinery on site over night, it would be torched before nightfall. Not because contractors are neglegent, but because a large number of the public resent FC ownership, resent limited access, resent all that the Queen stands for. They will cause damage at every opportunity. Fires are exciting, every smoker carries the means. We are lucky our woodlands are harder to set fire to than some other forests in warmer/dryer climes. A windrow is a fire waiting a flame. Fires are a constant threat. The FC have fire towers, unmanned, so should fire be reported by the public. First location, then action. Windrows are known to be problematic within compartments. The FC "DO" windrow. Ten years ago the FC were liable for any trip fall injury caused by neglect. so footpaths were managed with limited risk. Brash chipped and blown out the way. Now with a right to roam the responsibility for safety is on the user and the FC can untidy the forest. Standing dead trees left, fallen limbs and brash can be left on the forest floor. In many of the forests less susceptible to arson and motorcycles, heavy use areas. Your suggesting that a organisation at the TOP of the field in forest management don't know what they are doing? Believe me if money can be saved by not employing a person to chip brash. They will choose that over all other alternatives. I suggest you have blinkered vision on the subject.

Sex
    Female
    Maybe tis you been blinkered Alice.The forestry commission are in it for the money end of.They have felled throughout bird and bat habitat in the nesting season ie up at the Wilderness and Wigpool in the Forest of Dean .Their response was "timescales,deadlines"Any asshole wants to ignite something they will.Society is such.The stupid idea to allow the dumped containable amount of exfarmed boar at Staunton a decade ago to remain free as they would "help"the woodlands thrive was utter stupidity.At the initial release the 15 or so animals as they once were, could have been traced back to the dumper.Now the damage in the Forest of Dean is beyond belief,as is the poaching,probably by unskilled killers mostly leaving animals to suffer.The Forestry Commission allowed unchalleged, DEFRA to set up "feeding stations"in the Forest of Dean in order to pool and moniter these animals.The FC also allowed killing of badgers in Greenaways wood and Betty Dawes wood ,both nature reserves.Government run idiots but the pension is probably good.I had a feeling you were not talking about your own woodland as dispassionate in tone,conservation in truth is not commercially viable is it.Nowadays all is pinched.I have had even gates stolen and trees.

Sex
    Female
    Thats a lawn ,two borders and four shrubs then.

That's for the birds and beasties to know.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Thats a lawn ,two borders and four shrubs then.
    It could be a window box, it could be broad acres. Need to know basis.

Sex
    Male

Maybe tis you been blinkered Alice.The forestry commission are in it for the money end of.They have felled throughout bird and bat habitat in the nesting season ie up at the Wilderness and Wigpool in the Forest of Dean .Their response was "timescales,deadlines"Any asshole wants to ignite something they will.Society is such.The stupid idea to allow the dumped containable amount of exfarmed boar at Staunton a decade ago to remain free as they would "help"the woodlands thrive was utter stupidity.At the initial release the 15 or so animals as they once were, could have been traced back to the dumper.Now the damage in the Forest of Dean is beyond belief,as is the poaching,probably by unskilled killers mostly leaving animals to suffer.The Forestry Commission allowed unchalleged, DEFRA to set up "feeding stations"in the Forest of Dean in order to pool and moniter these animals.The FC also allowed killing of badgers in Greenaways wood and Betty Dawes wood ,both nature reserves.Government run idiots but the pension is probably good.I had a feeling you were not talking about your own woodland as dispassionate in tone,conservation in truth is not commercially viable is it.Nowadays all is pinched.I have had even gates stolen and trees.
    As I thought. Deluded to the point of believing you can pin point blame. There's been no profit in growing commercial timber for 20 years. Forestry Commission have been running at a loss, staff numbering a few hundred on the ground.
    Now Forest Enterpriseas you would have come accross them (felling) Then theres the contractors. There are many times when forest access isn't always possible when it's birds nesting season. Just like the trains don't stop. farms don't shutdown, building industry don't grind to a halt or rivers and canals close. Bats are monitored and left. Your right, there isn't enough money to achieve all both the public and the FC would like. But It is the the last two weeks supply of toilet paper and cardboard sleeve for your next "Oh that campaign looks sociably cool enough to buy the book" from Amazon, the FC are managing the last publicly own and some privacy own woodlands and forests in the UK . Excluding Wales. Not the Lungs of our planet.
    Maybe allowing the Dumped boars chance to see if "yes if" boar can have a positive impact on native woodland, since our woodlands have been managed for thousands of years with boar in them. And what naturalist, conservationist wouldn't welcome a natural woodland balance even if it ment a reintroduction? "Escape" more like liberated from ALF pensioners or poachers. So the FC are not responsible for poachers injuring a released or wild animal, not responsible but will and do prosecute poachers.
    So in your attempt to hang blame, you hung it on the good guys, those that take shit wages, do have a shit pension, may reside in tied accommodation at market rents. Work all their lives to promote access and conservation. Instead you don't even mention, the possible blame of the FE, Contractors, Skint farmers, poachers, scaly wags, public and vandals. DEFRA should have done what? Let them starve? Spread out even further? Not monitor? Not create a honeypot for future control. It's easy to blame isn't it. Easy to get on your high horse. Another mouth verbalising what miss information happens to be topical, no matter how accurate.
    Go ahead honey. Tell us all how you would do it and how you would pay for it.
    Last edited by alices wonderland; 11-02--2017 at 10:32 PM.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

As I thought. Deluded to the point of believing you can pin point blame. There's been no profit in growing commercial timber for 20 years.
    At today's exchange rate, that's hard to believe.

Sex
    Male

At today's exchange rate, that's hard to believe.
    it costs money to grow trees year on year, management fees can't be met from the sale of timber. If the FC were allowed/prepared to clear fell just to generate income. It would all be over in a few short years. The UK is still the 2nd largest importer of timber in the world. We have to continue to plant and conserve just for emergency.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

it costs money to grow trees year on year, management fees can't be met from the sale of timber. If the FC were allowed/prepared to clear fell just to generate income. It would all be over in a few short years. The UK is still the 2nd largest importer of timber in the world. We have to continue to plant and conserve just for emergency.
    And there I was thinking timber was a commodity.

Sex
    Female
    ????Honey ?blame?I do not understand your post.How i would do what?I can only comment on what I saw and was involved in with the Forestry Commission.I geuss you are an embittered ex employee by the sounds of it.The FC were mindless idiots allowing the release ,voiced by a friend working in the FC at the time who knew all involved,of ferral boar the Staunton side of the Wye.An experiment in the wrong place at the wrong time or indeed the wrong century.These people should now remove the boar altogether.However when foot and mouth or swine fever rears its head again all will be hit by the army anyhow.They were released from a trailer near staunton.Who said the FC were responsible for poachers?You have not understood that the FC felled actually when the birds were nesting.I was actually there but I do not remember you being there Alice with your embittered sneering sexism.

As I thought. Deluded to the point of believing you can pin point blame. There's been no profit in growing commercial timber for 20 years. Forestry Commission have been running at a loss, staff numbering a few hundred on the ground.
    Now Forest Enterpriseas you would have come accross them (felling) Then theres the contractors. There are many times when forest access isn't always possible when it's birds nesting season. Just like the trains don't stop. farms don't shutdown, building industry don't grind to a halt or rivers and canals close. Bats are monitored and left. Your right, there isn't enough money to achieve all both the public and the FC would like. But It is the the last two weeks supply of toilet paper and cardboard sleeve for your next "Oh that campaign looks sociably cool enough to buy the book" from Amazon, the FC are managing the last publicly own and some privacy own woodlands and forests in the UK . Excluding Wales. Not the Lungs of our planet.
    Maybe allowing the Dumped boars chance to see if "yes if" boar can have a positive impact on native woodland, since our woodlands have been managed for thousands of years with boar in them. And what naturalist, conservationist wouldn't welcome a natural woodland balance even if it ment a reintroduction? "Escape" more like liberated from ALF pensioners or poachers. So the FC are not responsible for poachers injuring a released or wild animal, not responsible but will and do prosecute poachers.
    So in your attempt to hang blame, you hung it on the good guys, those that take shit wages, do have a shit pension, may reside in tied accommodation at market rents. Work all their lives to promote access and conservation. Instead you don't even mention, the possible blame of the FE, Contractors, Skint farmers, poachers, scaly wags, public and vandals. DEFRA should have done what? Let them starve? Spread out even further? Not monitor? Not create a honeypot for future control. It's easy to blame isn't it. Easy to get on your high horse. Another mouth verbalising what miss information happens to be topical, no matter how accurate.
    Go ahead honey. Tell us all how you would do it and how you would pay for it.