THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Petrol wood chipper/shredders recommendations and advice

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by cricket
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ...of ferral boar the Staunton side of the Wye.An experiment in the wrong place at the wrong time or indeed the wrong century.
    Possibly, I found them both fascinating and scary when I encountered a group a few years back. Can't remember where it was exactly, I had been visiting someone in Staunton. The trouble with the boar is that they breed too fast and have no natural predators. Clearly the remedy is to intoduce licenced sport shooting.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Only comment I can make is our village is surrounded by forestry commision forest on Welsh side of the Wye , all work now seems to be done by contractors from England and is shoddy , and the boars are here too now , I think I seen one ( daybreak , bad light), so has neighbour , and the excavations on the forest floor look pretty convincing too !

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    Only comment I can make is our village is surrounded by forestry commision forest on Welsh side of the Wye , all work now seems to be done by contractors from England and is shoddy , and the boars are here too now , I think I seen one ( daybreak , bad light), so has neighbour , and the excavations on the forest floor look pretty convincing too !
    Would you be allowed to shoot them, ma?

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    Would you be allowed to shoot them, ma?
    Yes , if they are on your property , or you have permision of land owner , same as deer and you do it lawfully .

Heavenly Creature
    I suppose one can eat only so much wild boar. But you could make pate with WB and mushrooms, maybe a bit of truffle too, and sell it at sunday markets in Bristol and Cardiff.

Boars Ok if young , older boys get taint same as pigs , which we keep , so no rush to bag one .

wild boar sausages are the boy, same with burgers, you could sell all you could churn out
    enjoying life in the "slow"lane

Originally Posted by cricket
    ????Honey ?blame?I do not understand your post.How i would do what?I can only comment on what I saw and was involved in with the Forestry Commission.I geuss you are an embittered ex employee by the sounds of it.The FC were mindless idiots allowing the release ,voiced by a friend working in the FC at the time who knew all involved,of ferral boar the Staunton side of the Wye.An experiment in the wrong place at the wrong time or indeed the wrong century.These people should now remove the boar altogether.However when foot and mouth or swine fever rears its head again all will be hit by the army anyhow.They were released from a trailer near staunton.Who said the FC were responsible for poachers?You have not understood that the FC felled actually when the birds were nesting.I was actually there but I do not remember you being there Alice with your embittered sneering sexism.
    Oh dear. You have mistaken my concerns and resorted to attacking me. I'll just finish by adding this. I'm not bitter at my ex-employee. Quite the opposite. Having enjoyed the FC lands for most of my life and then being employed by them. Only to take early retirement due to I'll health, with my job still open to me should I recover enough to undertake it. (Though I would have to surrender my pension on my return, fairs faire and I truly love my job) A job far more diverse than planting or removing trees.
    I've met and worked with many of the old FC workforce and the new recruits. I have nothing but respect and admiration for them and the organisation. I come accross many like yourself who form a opinion on a few personal experiences, when you were not informed of (operations, practices or reasons for them) but in your conclusions and the words of your friendhearsay, bullet points and media hype. You base your facts on so little. It really doesn't matter what I bring to the table. You have deluded yourself to a point of no return. Your misunderstanding will not serve you well. The management of 20 acres is your lot and I wish you every success. Be careful not to close your mind off too soon. I don't set out to knock lumps off a try'er, and if they chose not to listen, then it's time to move on.
    We strive to consider the return of many now rare wild animals in this Country. By trial and error we gingerly move forward. We won't be reintroducing wolves unlike other Countries have tried. But wild boar, like it or not are a excellent management tool. Small woodland owners are successfully managing woodlands with wild boar in them. Had the release you refer to been programmed, it may not have got beyond the consultation stage. The FC have to be careful about what information is in the public domain. Egg taking, chick taking, badger baiting, flora and fauna collecting. Had you any real concerns and addressed the body responsible. I'm sure time permitting, you would have received a considered reply from the FC.

Ive been involved with Forestry & aboriculture getting on 29 years. Before that I grew up in the forests. Though I've known not to disturb nesting birds by cutting a hedgerow, tree or meadow while the nest is active. We are requested to stay out of certain areas of woodland and moorland during short nesting seasons or when native snakes are known to be present and only then following notification Again I'm going to back off. I have nothing to prove, you have much to learn. What is clear you won't listen to what I have to say. What do I know having been privileged to see the inside of both camps. There is no bad intention or ego from within the FC.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    The Forestry Commission are NO longer operational in Wales. All previous operations of the Forestry Commission are now taken over by Natural Resources Wales. The control over manual operations and the quality of contractors employed and works carried out, will be subject to the Natural Resources Wales and the Countries own funding.

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    The Forestry Commission are NO longer operational in Wales. All previous operations of the Forestry Commission are now taken over by Natural Resources Wales. The control over manual operations and the quality of contractors employed and works carried out, will be subject to the Natural Resources Wales and the Countries own funding.
    You are correct, I find the forestry commisions mapping a very useful resorse which still covers Wales , we all call the forests forestry commision out of habit , in fact our house belonged to them at one time I am told.

Another thing I've been planning to have a go at is making woven willow fence panels I like the look of them and they seem to fetch a hefty price in the garden centres?
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    Another thing I've been planning to have a go at is making woven willow fence panels I like the look of them and they seem to fetch a hefty price in the garden centres?

I fancy a go a basket making with willow one day .

I've done both hurdle making and basket weaving. I get carried away with willow weaving. I tend to make bird nest boxes that are enclosed like beehives. I was playing with some of the willow I've grown last week. Like anything green there's a good time of the year to work with green materials. Now is that time, sap is rising and the moisture content makes bending willow a doddle.

I know those willow hurdles look easy to make and they are, but when you take in to account all the hours faffing about coppicing, sorting and then building up the hurdles. You aren't on much money per hour. The ones in the garden centres are made in Eastern European Countries for far less than the minimum wage. Remember to peal any bark from uptight support stakes or they will strike and grow. Forcing all the weave apart after just one season. Use Hazel for the uprights. There's a knock for getting the willow rods to turn back on themselves at the end of a hurdle run. It's not just a 180 degree turn, you have to twist the wood fibres at the same point as the bend. This takes it out or your fingers.

I was thinking of a solid squared rail top and bottom drilled for the rods and each side pinched between two bits of batten to make a standard square panel size and then make my fortune selling them at car boots.
    just a simple guy

Not many chippers coming up second hand anywhere near me of any use. I'm getting impatient.
    just a simple guy

I've found a new little chipper from Hyundai it's more than I wanted to spend but looks impressive in this YouTube vid (Hyundai woodchipper with Conifer) 2 year warranty, I've tried to post the link but can't do it,I don't suppose a kind member could do it for me?.
    just a simple guy

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    I've found a new little chipper from Hyundai it's more than I wanted to spend but looks impressive in this YouTube vid (Hyundai woodchipper with Conifer) 2 year warranty, I've tried to post the link but can't do it,I don't suppose a kind member could do it for me?.
    This one?

The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Originally Posted by Rick69
    This one?

That's it! top man cheers
    just a simple guy

Give me a few days till i see him but my BIL bought a similar sized model, very quickly bought a bigger one. Ill find out the model, and also whether hes selling it! He ended up with a trailer mounted timberwolf, one of those polish screws and a splitter made from teo hydraulic rams from a skip lorry. Theres pretty much nothing he cant split or chip now!

A company called mdlpowerup do a similar version a heavier item even though it hasn't got electric start which is something I wouldn't want, eBay 172533301287 it's got a standard ball hitch and a loncin 15hp engine, it's my best find so far new, they do a impressive looking 37 ton log splitter too..
    just a simple guy

I think I've found the one for me a deleks dk-800 on Amazon, German, loading chute has a quick release on a hinge for unclogging, standard tow ball,3 blades, safety clutch,2 year warranty, multi position discharge chute,15Hp.
    just a simple guy